SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

Need to talk through colors for my family room

three3apples
10 years ago

Here is the situation: I want to purchase two Hancock and Moore Chippendale sofas soon before the sale price goes away. I'm having a heck of a time making a decision on fabric vs. leather and cranberry vs. some sort of green. The room is enormous and this will not be the only seating in the room, but it's what I'm starting with. The walls are FB Shaded White. The room gets a lot of natural light. All trim is BM China White and floors are red oak stained medium dark. I want my color palette to be cranberry, light blueish/state-ish, pale pink, and light green. The surrounding rooms are the kitchen (entirely in FB Light Blue), view to the keeping room (all walls and trim in FB Calke Green, navy leather recliner and Poppy/Rust velvet settee, patterned drapes), foyer and hallway (FB Hardwick White walls). You can see half the keeping room from part of the family room. You can see less than half the family room from the foyer. I am not interested in anything that isn't plausibly historic in terms of colors and, luckily, I like a lot of the jewel tones that were used.

The paint's undertone is green, which works beautifully with the green leather options by Hancock and Moore. Cranberry also works well with the paint. If I did cranberry sofas I'd do the light blue/gray/slate for drapes with a multicolored ball fringe in cranberry, blue, etc. If I did green sofas I'm lost for drape colors. I like the idea of a pair of chairs upholstered in a light pink solid, stripe, or pattern. I will also have another pair of chairs somewhere in the room, but am unconcerned by them at the moment.

I know cranberry sofas would be bold. I worry they will clash with the potentially partially seen keeping room settee, which is off the kitchen. I worry green sofas present me with no drapery colors I'd like. I don't want cranberry drapes I don't think.

I have a few inspiration photos that include some of these colors.

I also don't know what to do about fabric vs. leather. We have two small children, but they are really well behaved and I doubt they will be eating popsicles in this room or doing anything crazy that will ruin the sofas. My husband prefers leather. I don' tknow what I want.

Any thoughts?

Comments (137)