SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris401_gw

Help me understand zones and design my kitchen accordingly

chris401
11 years ago

Hi all,

I posted about a month ago and then read the "sticky" and FAQs and many, many threads related to kitchen design. (Thanks to you all BTW, it is so very helpful.) Now that I have a bit more understanding, I wanted to get thoughts on how to design this kitchen for zones instead of the "triangle."

As you see below, open floor plan with a pantry "behind" the kitchen that will have an appliance counter for toaster, can opener or other things. The fridge is shown at front of kitchen (scale is showing a 36" fridge, counter depth). The plan is also showing a 48" range (too big now that I know more) and a huge sink (also too big). Initial thoughts: The prep zone would be to left of fridge and opposite at island. The cooking zone would be to left and right of range. The cleanup zone would be to right of sink.

I'm not sure if this is laid out well for that, however.

We are very open to suggestion and ideas. Including for appliances (not sure what fits well in this space).

Appliances we are considering:
-36-42" fridge/freezer (perhaps fullsize and inset into pantry area; perhaps built-in)
-36" range with hood
-extra wall oven (perhaps steam oven, perhaps undercounter)
-dishwasher
-microwave (perhaps as drawer on kitchen island; perhaps on counter in pantry)

We are a family of 4. We cook some but would like to cook more. This is intended to be our forever home.

Many big thanks in advance.

This post was edited by chris401 on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 23:29

Comments (23)