SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwarreninla

My "Blank Slate" is giving me nightmares! Please help my kitchen!

Lisa Warren
3 years ago

I am attaching a picture of my "blank slate" kitchen layout . . . so far, it has a sink! It has a sink because DH says "We aren't drilling into the foundation and moving plumbing."

I am truly stumped with what I can do with this space. My current cabinets have been ripped out, so that we could open up that wall on the right side of my drawing. (I had an L-shaped kitchen that ran under the big kitchen window at the bottom of my drawing and along the wall that DH just knocked down.) I currently have rows of fold-out tables and a laundry tub sink in my kitchen. We just keep telling the kids, "it's like camping."

If you are still reading . . . then you have realized that no real planning has gone into this renovation, and clearly, this pandemic has driven us to the edge of sanity. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding how I could create a layout of cabinets and appliances? I just cannot see past the missing wall . . . and I cannot understand how this is ever going to work. I am not skilled or gifted at this type of stuff. I am a computer programmer . . so that should tell you how "creative" I am . . . in other words, I am NOT capable of Design stuff.

Here are a few "spots" to keep in mind.

1. The small room in the upper right is the pantry.

2. The window along the bottom edge is 89" wide and 48" tall (so that wall cannot hold any upper, wall cabinets.) The window looks out into the backyard (if that matters)

3. The big long box along the entire left side of my layout is there to block off that wall on the left and markout a main walkway through our home. It represents our pathway and other rooms that come off of that wall . . . I just didn't want to draw all those extra rooms. So just remember that it is a pathway and nothing can be built on that left wall. Everything else is "blank slate" usable.

4. Most of the time, everyone enters our home from the garage and steps into this kitchen space via the opening in the upper left corner, that marked off pathway. (for your orientation perspective)

5. That big section of wall that DH took down on the right lets you look into the Living room now. (we are trying . . . and possibly failing at . . .open concept here.)

6. I am including a picture of my kitchen currently just for giggles . . . or it's a "cry for help" . . . I'm not exactly sure!

7. We have 9 ft. ceilings.

8. We live in a ranch, & style is very traditional . . . think, lots of crown molding and picture frame wall molding.

Comments (14)