SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

my kitchen is a blank slate - help?

worldmom
15 years ago

I'm copying mountainmusing and hoping someone might want to play kitchen designer and tackle my kitchen plan! I've cleared everything out of it and also filled in the adjacent areas so you know where the kitchen is in relation to the other nearby rooms. I also used gray shaded walls to indicate those that can be removed or altered. We're open to reconfiguring the bathroom/side hall/coat closet area, but we have to have a bathroom somewhere and want to maintain an entry into the kitchen from the center hall. (Note that the bathroom has a beautiful leaded glass window, so I want to avoid covering it up.)

I've already ordered my appliances, so the design has to work with these items:

36" gas rangetop

Frigidaire stainless fridge/freezer "twins," although there's a chance we may be switching these to Electrolux Icons before they ship. I believe they are the same size - 32" apiece

30" microwave drawer

30" double wall oven

24" dishwasher

Here are my other needs:

We homeschool and currently use the sewing room as a school office. We have to have somewhere for our books and materials that can be closed off. We have been planning to adapt our coat closet for this (floor-to-ceiling shelves on two walls), but we're open to other ideas. We use the dining room and sunroom primarily for school. We've tried keeping the school materials in the sunroom, but our little ones kept getting into it because it couldn't be closed off during non-school time. It drove us all bonkers. ;o)

The space has to include a washer and dryer (Electrolux stackable front-loaders, which I've already ordered), and I don't want to have to look at them all the time. :o)

Our cabinets are going to be stacked to the top of our 9.5 ft ceiling, so we'll have lots of storage space for stuff I don't use all the time, but I *have* to have a sizable pantry for food. We have 12 kids, and this is an absolute necessity. Along with that, our new dining table is being built and is 10 feet long, so we really can't reduce the size of the dining room.

And in the "wants" category:

An island with some seating

More openness between the kitchen and dining room, since the dining room will be our only family eating space.

A bank of some kind of more formal-looking cabinetry for storing/displaying china, or maybe a free-standing hutch

Thanks in advance for any help! :o)
{{!gwi}}From Last Import

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals