SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdew1920

A blank slate with my floor plan.....

jdew1920
14 years ago

OK - In a previous cry for help (see link below) I jumped right in with my own plan and made some modification from some of yours input.

Other Thread

The last couple of days I've been spending alot of time staring at it but not doing much with it. I can't decide if I am sure this is close to being finished or to start over. So, I'd ask that those of you interested, take a look at our current floor plan and let me know your initial thoughts on what you would suggest on a modified floor plan before I cloud your vision with my own.

Some of my comments from the previous thread:

"Right now our kitchen is not opened up to any other living areas and generally we only spend time in our family room and kitchen because of that. So essentially, we utilize only about ½ of our living space. WeÂd like to open it up to the rest of the house to take advantage of the space. We rarely use the dining room and always eat in the little nook in our kitchen. Our thoughts are to sacrifice the nook for a larger kitchen area and use the dining room table.

As weÂve been kicking this around we have thinking also about putting in a desk area in our living room for the computer (right now its on a desk in the kitchen), adding built-ins on either side of our fireplace in the family room, and in addition to taking the wall down between the kitchen & dining/living room possibly taking down part of the wall going into the family (none of these are load bearing).

As for the kitchen weÂd definitely like more "work space" than we have now. You can see our current layout below. The work triangle is very tight so thereÂs not too much elbow room if thereÂs more than 1 person in there. Neither my wife or I are gormets so we are not going for the pro-style appliances. We have two young boys (3 & 6) so we want to keep them in mind. We would like to have some sort of seating in the kitchen (around an island if possible), we really like the look & functionality of an island and would love to be able to place some stools around it. Moving utilities is possible but IÂd prefer not to relocate the sink plus I think itÂs in a good spot where it is.

Because of the narrow shape of our kitchen, appliance placement seems limited if we do away with the wall to the dining room. Another thing to keep in mind is that the window where our current nook is, goes lower than standard counter height (itÂs around 31"). We could replace if necessary but IÂd prefer not to if we can come up with an alternative that makes sense. Right now I am showing a small desk area in that spot." Have since decided that replacing that window with a shorter one is doable so could run cabinets underneath.

Thanks again for any input....

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County