SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmother

Help me to understand protocol with kitchen designers

Love stone homes
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello please help me resolve this protocol dilemma in working with kitchen designers.

I have been interviewing kitchen designers for a kitchen remodel So far they have provided concepts with a quote if I decide to proceed with their services.

From the start I made it clear that I was at the very beginning. That I am looking for a good fit and the best person or company for the job.

They indicated that the initial consult and rough concept is part of the process and there is no charge. So far so good. I received quotes for design and cabinets.

However, One designer caught me off guard.

In our initial email she stated the amount of her design fee. She also stated that it would go toward cabinets.

She stated that “should I decide to work with her, she would cone to my home and consult, take measurements etc.”

she did come to the house and measured and sent me a sketch. (This was Just what other kitchen pros did)

She then sent me a design sketch and gave me the name of her contractor. (This is the person who will tear down walls etc. )

I set an appointment to meet him.

This same designer then sent me another concept along with her Invoice!

At no time was a contract signed or discussed.

I was shocked that she sent an invoice as I did not informally or formally hire her. I did not discuss the concepts with her, nor did I provide feedback on her design.

Obviously there is a clear lack of communication, as such I definitely will not hire her.

I did not realize she would charge for the concepts.

Did I hire her inadvertently, by inviting her to my home?

What is my obligation in this matter?

Thank you for helping me out on this issue.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!