SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malabacat_gw

Help me understand tile bid-long

malabacat_gw
9 years ago

I do not understand our recent tile bid and would love some insight from the GW community. It's actually our re-bid. We are remodeling our house, and got bids for tiling four areas-two full baths, one half bath and our kitchen BS. The bids were all much higher than we expected. We had chosen very expensive tile, much of it handmade tile from Fireclay (FC). In learning about tile installation costs, both on here and speaking to people at tile companies, handmade tile is more difficult to install b/c each tile varies from the next, so installation and labor are generally higher. Okay, makes sense.

To cut costs, we re-chose almost all the tile for our two full baths. We left the half bath and kitchen BS tile choices alone. Both of the full baths were all FC tile except for the floor. We eliminated all the FC tile in the smaller bath, and almost all of the FC tile in the MB. We not only chose less expensive tile, we also chose zero handmade tile. Most of the newly chosen tile is from Dal Tile and they assured us that there is nothing tricky about installing the tile we chose (we asked so as not to have an issue like we did with the FC tile). Oh, and there are no complicated patterns being done either. And all of the tile chosen is in the "sweet spot" of tile size. At the tile stores we went to to choose new tile, all said that tile size matters when it comes to ease of installation. Not too big, not too small. Almost all our tile previously fell into that area, and all of our newly chosen tile does.

So, to sum up, we have less expensive tile, and almost no handmade tile in the full baths now. There is a small amount of FC tile in the MB. And we also cut back by over 10% the amount of tiled area in the two bathrooms, reducing the total tiled area in our house by almost exactly 10%.

We re-bid with the new tile options to two of our four previous tile companies we'd received bids from. We got one bid back, waiting on the other.

The bid came back with material costs down by exactly as expected, since our tile choices were less expensive.

Labor and installation WENT UP just over 10% for the whole bid. How is this possible? We chose easier to install tile, all of it is in the tile size "sweet spot" for installation, and the total SF of tile area is down by 10%. The numbers for the half bath and kitchen BS didn't change, as expected, which means that the increase in labor and installation for the two full baths went up more than 10% since the bid had overall a 10% higher cost for L&I.

This doesn't make any sense at all. What am I missing?

Comments (7)