SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Veal Calvados recipe found!

bbstx
14 years ago

Several weeks ago, I asked if anyone had the recipe for Veal Calvados from the Commander's Palace cookbook. My cookbook is in storage. At the suggestion of sooz, I tried to get the cookbook from the library, but it had been lost since 2006. Well, last week, the library notified me the book was ready for pick-up. So here is the recipe:

Veal Calvados

from The Commander's Palace New Orleans Cookbook

by Ella and Dick Brennan

Serves 4

8 veal tenderloins or cutlets (about 1/2 inch thick, 2 1/2 ounces each)

2 tsp Creole Seasoning Mix*

All-purpose flour

3 Tablespoons unsalted butter

8 apple rings, 1/4 inch thick each

1/2 cup diced peeled apple

1 cup diced onions

1/4 cup coarsely chopped shallots

2 oz Chablis

3 oz Calvados

10 Tablespoons heavy cream

3 oz demi-glace

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Sprinkle veal with creole seasoning, then dredge lightly in flour. Heat butter in a saute pan; when bubbling, add veal and saute until lightly brown on both sides, turning once. Add apple rings to butter in pan anda fry for about 1 minute on each side. Apple rings should remain crisp. Remove rings.

Add to pan the diced apples, onion, shallots, Chablis, and Calvados. Stir gently over low heat. Remove veal and keep warm.

Whisk cream and demi-glace into sauce in pan and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Return veal to pan and cook over low heat, uncovered, until tender. About 10 minutes. Do NOT put apple rings in pan.

To serve: Arrange veal on top of apple slices and keep warm. Reduce sauce to the consistency of thin cream sauce. Add a pinch of black pepper. Spoon sauce over veal.

*Although the cookbook has a recipe for Creole Meat Seasoning, I use Tony Cachere's. Here is the recipe used in the cookbook:

1 cup salt

3/4 cup powdered garlic

3/4 cup freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- or to taste

1/4 cup paprika

Combine.

Also, I put the apple rings on top of the veal, rather than under it. I think it makes a prettier presentation.

Comment (1)