SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

opinions on cooktop wall, uppers & hood

lisa_a
12 years ago

Finally, after 3 years (or more? I've lost count) of dreaming and planning, we're going to remodel our kitchen. We're still a few months away but I'm going to need every bit of it to finish up my plan.

I'm moving the cook top off the island to the perimeter (yay!) which means I can go from a 30" to a 36" cook top (yay!!) and gain more space on each side of the cook top (yay!!!).

I'm considering going with a 42" hood. If I keep the existing corner window, I'll have 69" of wall between door and window (allowing for trim around both and a bit more clearance by the door) to play with. If I center the cook top on that wall, I'd have 13.5" wide cabinets on each side of a 42" hood. Is a cabinet that narrow usable? Seems like it wouldn't be. Has anyone made a cabinet that narrow work for them? Would cabs this narrow look out of scale with a 42" hood? I've tried finding pics but haven't had much luck (boxerpups, can you help me, please?)

If I move down to a 36" hood, I end up with 16.5" wide cabinets on either side. Still small but I would hope more usable.

The base cab to the left of the cook top would be 16.5" wide with 18" of counter. That's better than the 16" I have on either side of my island cook top but I was hoping for more.

The only way I can see getting more counter to the left of my cook top and at least 16.5" wide upper cabs with a 42" hood is to replace the 48" wide window with a 42" wide window. Then I'd have a 19.5" base cab with 21" of counter to the left of the cook top. If I went with a 36" hood, the uppers would grow to 19.5" wide.

But replacing the window means repairing the siding, which means more $$ so I'm trying to figure out if I have other options.

Would it look really wonky to do something asymmetrical here? Keep the window at its current size but move the cook top and hood towards the window by 6"? I'd lose the upper cabinet to its right (a 7.5" upper? I don't think so) but I could have a 19.5" wide cab to the left of a 42" hood (and a 22.5" wide base cab and 24" of counter to the left of the cook top - lovely!).

But would that that look odd? It seems like I'd need to have something between hood and window but what? Or I could lose upper cabs completely. I'm pretty sure I'll have enough storage since we're adding a floor to ceiling, 15" deep, 36" wide storage cab next to the ovens across the kitchen from the cook top and a 12" deep, 57" wide cab on the backside of the island (ditching the never used, never will use island overhang because there's not enough room for seating).

The adjacent wall has a 48" window that will likely be swapped out for a 54" window (keeps sink under window), a 29" upper cab and a 40" fridge cab. Unless I do a pretty impressive hood, I think the cook top wall sans uppers won't look balanced with the fridge wall.

What do you think?

Are you following all of this? Sorry, if I'm disjointed but I think I'm succumbing to hubby's cold and I'm not thinking as clearly as I should. And our youngest just ran off with our scanner (well, we did say he could take it back to college) so I can't scan a drawing to post and I can't find my camera to take a picture of my drawing. Sheesh. I'll try to get a drawing up later.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths