SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

kitchen gagdets/tools/brands to stay away from

vacuumfreak
16 years ago

Hello. I have recently been disgusted by a brand of kitchen tool and I want to vent. I was going to do so through Epinions, but they don't have the objects available for review. I know we've had a favorite kitchen gadget thread in the past. What about one where we warn people not to buy things of a certain brand because of our experiences with them?

I have purchased four Oneida products within the last year or so and have been disappointed by three of them. My box grater is the only thing not to let me down yet. Based on my experience with their other terrible products, I'm sure it will rust or the handle will come flying off all in good time.

The first thing I bought was a meat mallet. I picked this brand because I liked the stainless steel handle. I wanted to be able to hang it up and it had a loop on the handle for that purpose. My drawer is full of utensils so if I can save space, that helps. Plus, it was the only one that had aggressive and mild spikes. All the others had a flat side and a spiked side. The business end of the mallet is plastic instead of metal. Kind of speaks to the quality. It hasn't broken yet, so I really shouldn't complain. However, to use a meat mallet like that you have to really hit the meat with force and blood splatters all over the place. I think it would be better if the spikes were more pronounced so they went deeper into the meat. I have recently replaced it with a Jaccard meat tenderizer that I got for a dollar. I will keep the mallet for banging the paddle off the mixer when it gets stuck on (there's a reason they say not to put the paddle in the dishwasher).

The next thing is a garlic press. I got that one because it matched the meat mallet. What a stupid reason! I couldn't tell until I got it home and out of the package, but the plunger is PLASTIC. And flat so half the garlic is stuck on the inside of the holes when it's used. Did I mention that it comes apart "for cleaning". That means the flat plastic plunger and metal piece with the holes in it separate from the handle. Not only does it do this while you are cleaning it, but while taking it out of the drawer, while opening it to use it, AND while using it. So, you have to assemble the stupid thing a minimum of three times just to get one clove of garlic pressed. Did I mention that you are lucky just to ONE clove of garlic out of a whole head? That is because what doesn't get stuck on the inside shoots out the sides and back of the press instead of the holes. I have a Pampered Chef replacement on the way. I understand that it also doesn't have spikes to push the garlic through the holes, but it still works better.

The final POS I bought from that horrid company is an ice cream scoop. It matched my garlic press and meat mallet! I got the traditional semicircle with the button that activates a release mechanism. You know, the kind the cafeteria ladies used to scoop mashed potatoes with when you were in school. Well, a few nights ago, as I was scooping some ice cream, the button broke. I pressed it to release the ice cream that was in the scoop and it didn't pop back out. Apparently, the gear inside broke. I've had it 2 months and used it 5 times at the most. I've never found that shape to be very useful for digging into ice cream anyway. I got a more shovel shaped one with no moving parts that supposedly warms up in response to body temperature.

I know a company that will never again get any of my support, financially or verbally! Oneida, you suck!

Do you have any warnings for the rest of us of kitchen products to stay away from?

Comments (19)