SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jude31

Favorite Breakfast Casseroles

jude31
15 years ago

I'm co-hosting a Christmas Brunch for my gardening group and would like to know what your favorite breakfast casseroles are.

Thanks, Jude

Comments (26)

• mustangs81
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know the source of the first recipe, but the second is what I have developed over the years.

Golden Egg Casserole:

2 tbsp butter
    1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1 medium-size sweet onion
    1 medium-size bell pepper, chopped
    10 large eggs
    cup self Ârising flour
    ï¾ Â¼ tsp salt
    ï¾ 16 oz container small curd cottage cheese
    ï¾ 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
    ï¾ Â½ lb ground sausage, cooked and drained
    ï¾ 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper. Sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

2. Whisk together eggs, flour, salt. Stir in mushroom mixture, cottage cheese, jack cheese, sausage, bacon. Pour into greased 13X9 inch baking dish.

3. Bake at 400 for 5 minutes. Reduce heat at 350; bake 15 more minutes until set and lightly browned.

German Stuffed Toast:

Â 1 1/2 loaves cinnamon raisin bread
    Â 16 ounces cream cheese (2 pkgs)
    Â 1 tsp vanilla
    Â 1 cup raisins or pecans
    Â 1 can apple pie filling or make your own apples
    Â 2 cups half- &-half
    Â 8 eggs (large)
    Â 1 cup maple syrup (to be split in half)
    Â 1/2 cup butter
    Grease 9X13 baking dish or larger. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cube bread (approximately 1 inch x 1 inch)
    Mix cream cheese with vanilla and pecans
    Layer: bread, cream cheese, apples, bread

Mix in mixing bowl: milk, eggs, 1/2-cup maple syrup
    Pour over casserole, making sure that bread is saturated
    Cover and refrigerate overnight
    The next morning: Sprinkle casserole with cinnamon. Bake for 1 hour.

Before serving, mix melted butter and 1/2 cup maple syrup in small saucepan. Pour mixture over baked casserole, punching holes in casserole to allow sauce to penetrate.

Serves: 10.

• cseim
    15 years ago

This one is a crowd pleaser. It is very heavy on the cheese, but maybe that's why everyone likes it so much. I've served it with fruit and mini muffins for a baby shower and got rave reviews and recipe requests. Supposedly it freezes well, but I haven't tried that myself yet. I got it from the "Necessities and Temptations" cookbook from the Junior League of Austin.

BRUNCH EGG CASSEROLE

6 slices white bread, crust removed
    1 pound ground sausage
    4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    6 eggs
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dry mustard
    2 cups half and half

1. Lightly butter each slice of bread.
    2. Place bread in a 9x13" buttered glass baking dish.
    3. Brown sausage. Drain and pat with paper towels. Sprinkle sausage over bread.
    4. Sprinkle cheese over sausage.
    5. Beat eggs. Add salt, dry mustard, and half and half. Beat again.
    6. Pour egg mixture over bread, sausage and cheese.
    7. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. At this point, it may be frozen until ready to use. Remove from freezer and thaw overnight in refrigerator.
    8. Remove foil. Bake 45 minutes at 350F or until the casserole is bubbly and lightly browned on top. This dish reheats easily.

This casserole is best when it stands 30 minutes after baking.

Chrissy

• Related Discussions

Please post your Breakfast Casserole recipe!

Q

Comments (18)
    This is an Amish Breakfast Casserole recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. I've made it a lot and passed the recipe along to friends who also like it. Original recipe makes 12 servings 1 pound sliced bacon, diced 1 medium sweet onion, chopped 6 eggs, lightly beaten 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese Directions In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
    ...See More

Do you have a great freeze-ahead meatless breakfast casserole?

Q

Comments (6)
    This is a Cooking Light recipe that has become a standard at our house. I have not frozen it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work to freeze it. I've taken it to events where I needed a vegetarian option -- for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I usually use the whole can of black beans, a generous cup of salsa (I use Pace medium and will measure more generously if using the thick and chunky). I also tend to add another egg and/or egg white to have enough to cover it all. It will fill a deep pyrex casserole that is almost the size of a 13x9. Breakfast Tortilla Strata 1 cup bottled salsa 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips Cooking spray 1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat Mexican blend or Monterey Jack cheese, divided (who measures? ;-) ) 1 cup low-fat sour cream 1 cup fat-free milk 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 large eggs 2 large egg whites 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (optional) Combine salsa and beans in a bowl. Place one-third of tortilla strips in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 1/3 cup cheese and about 1 cup salsa mixture. Repeat procedure with one-third of tortilla strips, 1/3 cup cheese, and remaining salsa mixture; top with remaining tortilla strips. Combine sour cream and next 4 ingredients (sour cream through egg whites); stir with a whisk. Stir in onions. Pour over tortilla strips; sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. Remove casserole from fridge and preheat oven to 350ð. Remove cover and bake. My recipe got cut off here, but I think the original instructions said 45-55 minutes. Mine always takes a bit over an hour and it seems most folks cook an hour to an hour and 15 minutes depending on the type of baking dist, depth of the strata, etc. The top should be a bit browned and the center just set. If you have folks with no heat tolerance, use a mild salsa in the strata, You can serve with a spicier salsa and sour cream on the side for folks to dress to taste. I have made this with nonfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream -- works fine.
    ...See More

Help with baked eggs and a new oven

Q

Comments (6)
    FWIW, my oven manual came w/ directions for checking the calibration & adjusting it. Is there anything in the manual about cooking times, temp.s, etc.? & then there's always the old knife test for custard-y dishes: stick a clean knife in the center to check for doneness - if it comes out clean, it's done. If not, cook for 5-8 more minutes & test again, & so on...
    ...See More

Looking for Breakfast Casserole Recipe

Q

Comments (16)
    I've made the same one for years...along with Monkey Bread! Breakfast Casserole grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish layer with thawed hashbrowns...about 1/2 to 1 inch thick add some pepper add a pound of crumpled bacon or sausage add two cups shredded cheese, i use the mexican four flavor kind Mix Together 12 eggs 3/4 cup milk l/2 chopped onion stir that up and pour it on top of the other goodies Refrigerate overnight...pop in a 350 oven until the top is bubbly and edges are browning...I stick a fork in to make sure the center is done...the cheese will rise thru the egg mixture!! So Tasty!
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    15 years ago

Oh, the first one sounds perfect for my sons. All I've been able to find are casseroles that call for hash browns or croutons, which are too "bready" and heavy. They are not fans of sweet, so the second one wouldn't fly, but I'm sure I'd love it.

• lisacdm
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I make this Christmas Eve and pop it in the oven Christmas morning
    Creme Brulee French Toast

Ingredients
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons corn syrup
    1 (8 to 9) inch round loaf Challah bread
    5 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups half and half
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Directions
    In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. Cut 6 (1-inch) thick slices from center portion of bread, reserving ends for another use, and trim crusts. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit. In a bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bring bread mixture to room temperature. Bake uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

My favorite

ITALIAN SAUSAGE & CHEESE SQUARES

Serves 8

8 ounces refrigerator crescent rolls
    8 ounces Italian sausage, cooked, crumbled, drained
    1-1/2 cups shredded/grated Provolone cheese
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    8 eggs -- slightly beaten
    1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Separate rolls into two large rectangles. Press into 13 x 9 pan to form crust. Seal seams completely.

Place sausage over crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

Combine eggs and milk and pour over cheese.

Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown.

Use brown and serve breakfast sausage, Jack cheese and 2 tablespoons of salsa mixed in with the eggs for a Mexican version.

Joe

• jude31
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sure glad I have some time before my brunch. I may have to plan another one or two, these recipes sound so good. I have more cookbooks than you could shake a stick at, but since I discovered this forum and these threads I find myself coming back again and again. Everyone is so helpful. Chrissy all those eggs, the cheese and the 2 C. of half and half just about compete with my recipe for corn pudding. Yum, yum, yum, I can't wait.

Thanks guys, I'll be looking forward to more.
    Jude

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I'll second the creme brulee french toast recipe, I got it here from Woodie and my office loves it, my kids love it, there's never any left.

Now, though, I have to try Joe's Italian Sausage and cheese squares, those sounds really good and Elery would love the mexican version.

Annie

• woodie
    15 years ago

I have so many breakfast casserole recipes! Here is a really big favorite of mine, I think the English muffins make it so good, thanks Ginger...........

GINGER'S COMPANY BRUNCH
    (serves 8)
    5 sourdough English muffins, split (or regular ones)
    1 cup shredded Cheddar
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    1 lb breakfast sausage, cooked, drained, crumbled (or crisp bacon or chopped ham)
    12 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 cups milk
    1/3 cup chopped parsley
    1/3 cup chopped green onions with tops
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    Arrange the muffins in a buttered 9x13" baking dish. Sprinkle with the Cheddar & Swiss cheese & sausage. Beat the eggs, milk, parsley & green onions in a bowl until mixed. Pour over the prepared layers. Chill, covered with foil for 8-10 hours. Sprinkle w/the mushrooms. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 50 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.~~From Texas Ties

• trixietx
    15 years ago

Woodie, I make the same casserole but use all cheddar and green chiles instead of mushrooms. It's my favorite breakfast casserole.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, the Creme Brulee French Toast is a winner here as well!

Here are a couple more:

Cheese Blintz
    source Weight Watchers

3/4c plus 3T flour
    1/4c sugar
    2-1/2tsp double-acting baking powder
    1/8tsp salt
    3 large eggs
    1/2c butter or margarine
    1/4c skim milk (I use 2%)
    2-1/2c part skim ricotta cheese
    8oz cream cheese, softened
    2 large eggs
    1/4c sugar
    3T fresh lemon juice
    1tsp grated lemon zest
    1tsp grated orange zest
    dash salt

Preheat oven to 300F, spray 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray-set aside.

To prepare batter, in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, butter and milk until just blended. (Do not overmix)
    To prepare filling, in separate large bowl, with electric mixer on low speed, combine remaining ingredients until blended.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Gently pour filling on top, being careful not to mix layers.. pour remaining batter over cheese mixture. Bake 1-1/2 hours or until golden brown and set. let stand 10 minutes before cutting, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be served chilled or at room temperature.)
    Makes 10 servings

Potato Florentine Strata source: Byerly's 1 (26 ounce) package frozen country style hash browns, thawed 1 medium onion, minced, (1 cup), divided 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper medley 2 tablespoons melted butter 3 cups half and half 6 eggs, slightly beaten 1 teaspoon salt 3/4 teaspoon fines herbes 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper medley 3 cups finely shredded colby and Monterey Jack cheese 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, completely drained 1/2 cup marinated sun dried tomatoes, drained, chopped Press hash browns with paper towels to absorb moisture. In large bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 cup onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper medley. Press into bottom of buttered 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Brush with melted butter. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven until lightly browned around edges (20\-25 minutes). In large bowl, whisk together half and half, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, fines herbes and 1/2 teaspoon pepper medley. Stir in cheese, spinach, remaining 1/2 cup onion and tomatoes. Pour mixture over potato crust. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree oven until center is set (35\-45 minutes). Let stand, covered, 10 minutes; cut into squares. Amount: 8\-10 servings TIP: For a do\-ahead, bake and refrigerate crust; combine and refrigerate filling. Remove from refrigerator; pour filling over crust and bake as directed above.

And since she hasn't posted it yet, Sharon's Salmon Quiche is perfect for company, very easy and elegant.

SALMON QUICHE WITH WALNUT CRUMB CRUST

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Pastry:
    Easy - doesn't require rolling, just press down with fingers and back of a spoon into a 24 cm (9.5 inch) pyrex flan dish or pie plate.

1 - 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped

Mix these ingredients in a bowl, cutting in butter with two knives until crumbly then press into a pie dish, including up the sides. Bake in pre-heated oven for five minutes. Then remove from oven.

Meanwhile mix the following ingredients in a bowl:

Filling:
    3 eggs beat till frothy
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 can salmon (7 3/4 ounces) - I prefer fresh piece salmon that has been baked - 'smoked salmon' is really good too.
    1/4 cup mayonnaise

Pour these ingredients into the pie crust - bake in oven approximately 45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. The top is usually a nice golden brown colour. If you don't have salmon on hand, tinned tuna works well too in this recipe.

SharonCb

Linda
  • patricialynn
    15 years ago

Creme Brulee French Toast question. The recipe says trims crust from bread, do you remove all the crust?

I'm making Creme Brulee French toast, Salmon Quiche with walnut crumb crust, and Potato Florentine Strata for Christmas brunch. Thank you all. I will make all these recipes eventually, I have copied them.....

Patti

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Farmer's Casserole (for 12)- BHG
    This eye-opening casserole features all the breakfast favorites--hash browns, cheese, ham, and scrambled eggs.

6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
    1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers or shredded cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
    2 cups diced cooked ham or Canadian-style bacon
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    8 beaten eggs or 2 cups fresh or frozen egg product, thawed
    2 12-ounce cans (1-1/2 cups each) evaporated milk or evaporated skim milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham, and green onion. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs or egg product, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish.

Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F. oven for 45 to 55 minutes or till center appears set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.

Make-Ahead Tip: The night before, prepare casserole. Cover and chill. To serve, bake as directed except increase baking time to 55 to 60 minutes.
    Nutrition facts per serving: 299 calories, 14 g total fat, 7 g saturated fat, 183 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein, 15% vitamin A, 25% vitamin C, 23% calcium, 14% iron.

Blueberry-Stuffed French Toast - BHG

Nonstick cooking spray
    12 slices Texas toast, crusts removed (if desired) and cut in 1-inch cubes, or 12 cups cubed, trimmed challah or other egg bread
    1 8-oz. package cream cheese, cut into small cubes
    2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    9 eggs, beaten
    2 cups milk
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    Blueberry Syrup or maple syrup (optional)

Coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Place bread cubes in prepared dish. Top with cream cheese and the blueberries. (At this point, you can cover and chill up to 24 hours.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, and the 1/2 cup maple syrup. Whisk until combined. Slowly pour the egg mixture over blueberry-and-bread mixture to evenly moisten the bread.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut in squares. Serve with Blueberry Syrup or additional maple syrup, if desired. Makes 12 servings.

Blueberry Syrup

3 pints ripe blueberries
    6 cups sugar
    3 cups water
    2/3 cup strained fresh lemon juice

Sort and stem, then rinse and drain the blueberries. Place blueberries in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover; process or blend until berries form a puree. Place the puree in a glass bowl, cover with a towel, and let stand for 36 hours. Stir the puree occasionally. This step allows the berry liquid to separate from the pulp. (Don't worry if the puree forms a crust or gets foamy.)
    Line a large bowl with 2 layers of 100 percent cotton cheesecloth. Pour blueberry puree into the cheesecloth-lined bowl. Lift pulp-filled cheesecloth over the bowl and let drain. When the flow dwindles, twist the cheesecloth and pulp to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp and retain the juice (should measure about 2-2/3 cups).

Combine the sugar and water in a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven or kettle. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue boiling at a moderate steady rate, stirring occasionally until thermometer registers 230 degrees F. This will take about 50 minutes. (If you don't have a candy thermometer, you can use the cold water test. Spoon a few drops of the hot mixture into a cup of very cold water. Using your fingers, form the drops into a ball. When the ball is removed from cold water, the mixture should flatten and run between your fingers.)

Add the blueberry juice and lemon juice. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Do not boil. (If it does boil, the syrup mixture will become foamy and boil over.) Remove from heat; cool completely. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Makes about 7 cups syrup.

Christmas Breakfast - MIL

In a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish, place:

8 slices of bread on the bottom, cut off crust to fit in dish
    1 slice ham or Canadian bacon on each slice,
    1 slice Swiss cheese (or cheese of chose) on each slice, and
    8 slices of bread on the top, cut off crust to fit in dish

Blend:

6 eggs, slightly beaten
    3 cups milk
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    A little tarragon

Pour blended ingredients over bread slices, etc. in Pyrex dish. Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, drizzle with 1/4 pound melted butter. Top with crushed potato chips (or any chips that you prefer, we have used Dorito chips in the past). Bake, uncovered, in 350 degrees oven for 1 hour. Let sit for 10 to 15 mins. before cutting to set.

• JoanM
    15 years ago

Patti, I don't remove all the crusts for the Creme Brulee french toast. I slice off most of the bottom if it is hard and then only bits of the top to get it to completely fill the pan. The edges get completely soft when it soaks overnight. We have this on Christmas morning every year now.

• User
    15 years ago

Patti sounds like a yummy brunch!

• lisacdm
    15 years ago

Patti,
    I don't trim the crusts unless they are very thick or hard.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I'm convinced to try the Creme Brulee recipe, with so many devotees it must be a winner!
    Question: I've rarely got or make a Challah bread (which I assume just means an eggy, dense loaf) has anyone ever made it with either French or Italian bread?

Grace

• Fori
    15 years ago

I've made it with French. Works fine. There's so much goop on it that you don't miss it.

• woodie
    15 years ago

What Lisa and Fori said about the crust and the kind of bread! There's so much sugar that you'll never notice what kind of bread is underneath it all.

• User
    15 years ago

I use French or Italian usually.....now I want some!

• lisacdm
    15 years ago

I've also made it with white bread. I just use the 13x9 pan and cram in the slices. The recipe is pretty forgiving. You can also omit the Grand Marnier or use something else - I've used Amaretto and Frangelico. Both very good. You could also add raisins and/or chopped nuts, mini choc chips..... be creative & enjoy.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I didn't see this one posted - and it is absolutely the best breakfast potato casserole ever. Save those eggs for another dish LOL! Actually, I usually serve this with Benedict or quiche which makes it easy.

HASH BROWN BRUNCH CASSEROLE
    1 2-pound package frozen hash brown potatoes, unthawed
    1 10 3/4-ounce can cream of celery soup, undiluted
    3 cups (packed) grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 6-ounce can french fried onions
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Transfer to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Bake until top is slightly golden, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Sprinkle with onions. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
    Serves 12.

Bon Appétit
    November 1995
    Idelle Levey

• happygram
    15 years ago

What do you think would happen if, in place of half and half, I used either fat free cream or just plain milk?

And...do you think the substitute egg stuff would work.

I know that the recipe as it is would be absolutely heavenly, but I'd like to try to make this in such a way that some of my guests would be able to eat and enjoy it.

Thanks so much for any ideas.
    Mary

• jude31
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I thank all you boys and girls for your recipes and suggestions and I think I've made my decision. I'M SAVING THE ENTIRE THREAD!!!!! No way could I pick just one or two and as usual you all came through with flying colors. However, it's okay to keep posting.LOL

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Jude

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I have made the Creme Brulee french toast in a low fat version using Fat Free Half n half instead of the heavy cream and I used Egg Beaters cut with some Skinny Cow Milk and i used weight watcher rolls cut up and it came out fine...granted it aint the full version but the calories and fat are cut to a really good place!

• ghoghunter
    14 years ago

I saved this whole thread too and decided I should bring it back up in honor of the Spring Holidays!
    Joann

• ghoghunter
    12 years ago

Here I am again...I made the Hash Brown Brunch Casserole posted by Caliloo and it was wonderful! We ate every bit of it. I had company yesterday and it was a big hit!
    Joann