SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

So I went out and got the BM Fresh Start...

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

After a nightmarish battle with brush marks in the Zinsser Cover/Stain, I followed your advice I bought the Fresh Start. (I don't have access to the SW Pro Classic that was also recommended.)

When I got to the paint store, I was suddenly faced with the decision between regular and quick dry. Oh shoot! I have 2 kids, so I would really prefer quick dry. But the Cover/Stain is quick dry, and I speculated that could be part of the reason for its thick application, and propensity for brush marks.

So I asked the guy at the paint counter (local hardware store).

Of course (as always happens when I ask) he didn't know. All he could do was agree with my reasoning about the Zinsser, and offer the helpful advice, "Can't you just keep the kids out of the kitchen for 6-8 hours."

Soooooooo, I try out my new primer.

It does go on easier. The Cover/Stain was like dragging my brush through softened butter, and it never levelled out.

BUT, the Fresh Start is so very thin. It doesn't cover at all. I have lots of areas that I repaired with Bondo, and areas where I've sanded many layers of paint down to bare wood. The Fresh Start doesn't cover this at all after the first coat. I doubt a second coat will cover much more. I can't imagine how it would cover a knot in wood (I've got one of those that I haven't gotten to yet.)

Does this sound right? The guy at the store did mix the primer for me.

Do I keep applying numerous coats of primer until everything is a uniform white? Or do I just apply one more coat, and then let the actual paint cover all the remaining visible stuff?

I'm sorry to keep bugging you! But I can't seem to get any helpful answers in my hometown.

Thank you, thank you, thank you AGAIN!

Francy

Comments (3)