SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

So I went on the Parade of Homes this weekend . . .

jakabedy
12 years ago

And thought I'd report in about what I saw. First, I haven't really been in any new spec houses since the housing bust. Second, I only went to a few communities, but in our area the product seems pretty homogenous. Closer in the finishes are nicer, but the same general floor plans are everywhere. The neighborhoods I looked at were entry-level (125K - 175K), and upper mid-level (240K - 350K).

"Classic" facades seem to be the thing. Craftsman, Tudor, shingle, Arts &Crafts, etc. The larger homes have a lot of interior detail, like beams, transom windows over doors, nicely finished mantels and overmantels, stained cabinets and granite are standard. The kitchens were almost all very dark brown, shaker cabinets with a mid-grade granite. The master baths had a somewhat new take on the usual layout. Walk in and the tub is in front of you. His and hers sinks on either side of the door. Shower is directly behind the tub, with a big glass window looking over the tub. Closet is behind the shower. The glass window in the shower seemed nice. But even in the nicest homes, the second baths had modular fiberglass tub/shower units rather than tile, and I thought that was a cheap way to go.

There seemed to be wasted space, even in the smaller plans, because of the need to walk through rooms. I'm not quite sure how to fix that.

I did like that the builders spread the different plans around, so there wasn't another facade like yours within, say 5 lots or so. That wasn't so before the bust, when they just lined them up like cord wood. Also, in the starter communities, the lot sizes are a bit larger than they used to be.

One home had a safe room installed under the garage floor. Tornados have really devastated our state over the last few years, and it was nice to see this included and offered as an option.

Comments (18)