SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

ot: Cookbook 'finds'

greenbean08_gw
15 years ago

I recently went back home to (finally) pick up the rest of my belongings from the parents' house. I was unpacking the boxes and found a couple of items that I think some of you can appreciate.

I found a booklet titled "A Short Course with King Arthur Flour in Baking with Yeast". I think this came from my great-aunt's house. I'm guessing it's from the 80's, though there's no date on it. This is interesting to me because I actually started using KA flour about a month ago. I never actually realized there was much difference between flours, and I've learned quite a bit about that subject right here on this forum. My great-aunt was always a baker, and my father sent my sister and I to her house weekly during a couple summers in elementary school for what he called "cookin' school". Really more baking than cooking. As much as I didn't really want to go, I did learn a lot about baking, I think she taught me the things I just seem to "know". Now, don't ever say my great-aunt is the one who taught me to bake though, at least not in front of my mother!! Mom taught us too, just not quite the same way. We helped mom. My aunt helped us.

I also found the "Rumford Complete Cookbook" dated 1925. I think this came from my grandmother's, but I'm not sure. I didn't know until recently reading a post about baking powder, that Rumford was a company! While thumbing through the book, I also found a little construction paper flag with a handwritten invitation to the Washington's Day Exercises at the East Plains School Feb 22, 1926. There's a menu book from A-B Gas Ranges company. I can't quite peg the era, but I think from the 20's or 30's. Also, a handwritten recipe for Sacharine Pickles (that's how it's spelled on the paper). Hmmm...

So, I found these the other day, and I could show them to my DH, but he wouldn't care. So I'm telling all of you about it instead!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths