SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Cooking From A Cookbook, One Cookbook, One Only?

John Liu
13 years ago

After the post-holiday steamed veg and salad recovery phase (see http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/msg12012746342.html?7 ) I was thinking about a project.

The idea would be, to pick a cuisine you'd like to know more about, and cook exclusively from a cookbook on that cuisine for a week or two.

I might start with this old book I picked up. ''Manuel Pratique De Cuisine Provencale'' (Practical Manual Of Provencal Cooking), subtitled ''Recueil des Meilleures Recettes Culinaires des principaux Chefs de Cuisine de Provence'' (best recipes of the main chefs of Provence).

But, hmm, what's this. Chapter 1, ''Potages'' (soups), starts with Pot-Au-Feu, and then proceeds through twenty-three different variations on consomm�. Consomm� Julienne, consomm� Royale, consomm� Brunoise, consomm� Xavier, on and on. Okay, my ambition is wilting already. I'm not an apprentice cook, slaving away in an old-school French restaurant. Why do I care about knowing twenty-three types of consomm�?

I may still use this cookbook, with some judicious picking and choosing. But maybe a diferent cookbook could be considered.

Would you do something like this? What cuisine would you pick? What cookbook would you choose for that cuisine?

I've done something like this before, with a Japanese cookbook (''Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art'') and a Chinese cookbook (''Classic Chinese Cuisine''). It's always been instructive.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations