SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Sheltie pup will NOT stop barking - advice???? (pic)

rosemaryt
15 years ago

Teddy is now 20-weeks-old and she can "shake a paw," stay, lay down, spin and do several other tricks on command. I've worked with her since she was eight weeks old. She's been through obedience school (puppy class) and I'm told she's highly intelligent, but...

I can NOT get her to stop barking. When I put her in our large fenced yard, she starts barking when her paws hit the dirt and doesn't stop until I drag her back inside. We live in a neighborhood so this has to STOP. I've trained her to stop barking when I appear - and that's the best I can do. She knows not to bark when I'm out there. But otherwise, she barks NON-stop and it is driving me mad.

She's well-exercised and it doesn't matter. And now, she's spending most of her time in the house, because she can't be trusted outside. I let her out and she starts barking immediately - at anything and everything. In fact, she barks even when she's too tired to walk. She just lays down and barks.

I'm seriously thinking of having her de-barked because this is so awful. I love the dog, but the barking is out of control.

Two quick questions:

At what age can I put her into an anti-bark collar? I've read the shock collars are better than the citranella.

Any other ideas on what to do about this? Yes, she's a Sheltie but she just will not stop barking outside. This is bad. Very bad.

Thanks for advice.

Rose

Comments (38)