SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fraustachowski

Dog Friendly Courtyard Advice

Sheri
8 years ago

I would love some suggestions on what to do in this front courtyard (about 400 sq ft)...on a very, very limited budget. The tree is lime (Mexican, I think, very mature and a great producer). The hardscaping can't be changed (we rent the house). We're removing the grass and want to replace it with something, a ground cover of sorts and some other plants. We have a playful dog that enjoys this space with other doggy friends so it needs to be hardy and easy to pick up poop from (plus he has deformed paws so he needs a softer surface, no pavers, I think pea gravel would be ok). Something like dymondia margaretae, maybe? I want to get rid of the ugly rock pile around the tree and have read conflicting info about plantings around the base of mature lime...can I just let the ground cover grow up to the base? Or should I section off a big area under the tree in that corner and plant "something" there? I'm afraid any mulch will be eaten by my Golden Garbage Disposal. Ideas for plants by the walls as well would be great...affordable, low maintenance. And what about design? Geez, I'm terrible with this stuff. :-( I've been searching online for days now and can't find any pics/ideas of anything that is clicking. Help! Thanks!

Comments (18)