SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun2007_gw

Is it stupid to pay this interior designer??

sun2007
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have met an interior designer I like to furnish our living room. He has impeccable taste and is very high end, and I really believe he can help take our house to that "next level".

However, we are a young family with 2 toddler boys. I've told him that all furnishings have to be kid-friendly, comfortable and easy, but still look stylish and nice.

He has now come back with his design fee (in the 5 figures) and markup proposal (of 25% on every item purchased). He said he will be buying mostly from retail stores (restoration hardware, etc) b/c it isn't smart to go to designer showcases and order custom right now in our life phase (which i agree with). but he will still charge a 25% markup on all items purchased retail. He says he cannot get a designer discount at places like RH, crate & barrel, etc.

This seems excessive to me. I wanted to get thoughts from everyone here. I am already paying retail, and then paying commission for his "eye". Undoubtedly, he will pick better stuff than me at a retail store, but I also don't want to waste money.

Thoughts? Advice on what to go back to him with? Just find someone new entirely?

Comments (48)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!