SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikael3

Dark green paint, southern exposure, quality paint -- please help

mikael3
15 years ago

The details:

100+-year-old Clapboard Victorian cottage, no gingerbread

We live in Atlanta and the back of the house has full southern exposure with little shade all day. Eventually, some maples we planted will shade it, but not any time soon.

The work:

We are having everything sanded down, and the old paint is coming off easily. Power washing did not work, by the way, but the sanding is moving very rapidly

We have contracted for a prime coat and 2 color coats, all brushed on.

We have initially settled on Sherwin-Williams Roycroft Bronze Green or Billiard Green for the clapboards and some sort of wheat color for the trim.

Questions:

1. This is a small house, so we can afford to buy expensive paint. I want this job done right and I want it to last. I have read a lot of posts that rank SW Duration highest among widely available commercial paints. But tell me now  do I need to search out one of the other less-available brands that people on this forum swear by, or will I be happy with SW Duration?

2. "Everyone" says to use flat on the clapboards and satin on the trim. We want to use satin on the clapboards and gloss on the trim. Is this just a bad idea? Do I need to worry about the glossy paint being applied competently, or does it take the same skill level as satin paint? (This is an issue with finishing furniture, since glossy coats take more skill.)

3. I am very concerned about the dark green color fading in that southern exposure. Is this a valid concern? Are the greens I picked good ones for our type of job?

4. Is it too hot and humid to paint right now (June 2008)?

5. What am I missing?

Any help is appreciated.

John

Atlanta, Georgia

Comments (3)