SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

My big decorating dilemma: help decide what to do? Lots of pics

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

We've been debating this since we moved in 1.5 years ago... and mahlgold's dining table post inspired me to ask you folks:

What should we do with this wall???

We have a very large brick wall in what's now the kitchen. See pics below (disclaimers: kitchen is not finished, no backsplash, toekick, trim, or paint. Seating and rug at hearth are just fill-ins. We want a larger, redder oriental rung and matching chairs.)

PROS:

1) It's got great character and it's cozy.

2) It is one of the only major things left of the original 50's styling of the house.

CONS:

1) It's dark: a light-suck. And this part of the house is dark to begin with.

2) ************** (And this is the biggie! I'd probably not even consider changing it otherwise!) It has two very weirdly placed protrusions, a shelf and a "niche". The placement of these make it impossible to add a mantle, or to hang art on the wall :(

So what would you do?

Ideas we've had are:

- Knock off the protruding bricks and veneer it in something like a modern, horizontal wood cladding. But I think that would be too expensive, too dark still, and more risky for resale.

- Do a swedish sort of transparent whitewash. But the protrusions and niche would still be there :(

-Paint it all white. But same issue with protrusions/niche.

-Knock off the protrusions and skimcoat in white plaster.

-Knock off protrusions and furr out/sheetrock the wall, add a proper mantle and nice tiled fireplace surround; hand art.

Background:

The house is a 1956 ranch.

It is built of structural "brick-colored" concrete block, with -currently- white vinyl "clapboard". We've begin renovating the exterior and hope to finish this year. All white vinyl areas are getting shingled (by me) is Kennebec Cabot-Oil Stained Maibec cedar shingles. All "brick" will be painted a color that's in the same family as the shingles (which are a lovely, beachy, New England Coastal sort of color.) There will be simple pergola/trellis details. It'll be a sort of simple, coastal cottagey look, which feels right with the home's horizontality and deep overhands.

Inside, we've moved the kitchen into the middle of the house and opened it up a lot, creating an open, flowing floor plan. The kitchen is now where the old dining/living room used to be. materials in these and surrounding rooms: Natural cherry, stainless, and marble. Slate in mudrooom and behind wood stove in LR.

I've also attached pics of the other parts of the home for reference.

All ideas welcome!

Comments (37)