SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

I thought I saw this recipe but can't find it.

caflowerluver
16 years ago

I thought I saw a recipe awhile back for an Apple Caramel Tart but did a search and didn't come up it. Was I imagaining it?

I would rather make one recommend by this group then do a hit or miss with one I pull off the web or out of a cookbook. Does anyone have a good one? Maybe with a shortbread crust?

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (20)

• hawk307
    16 years ago

I think Ann T had one???
    Lou

• ritaotay
    16 years ago

This one???

Apple - Individual Country Apple Pie's / Warm Caramel Sauce
    ============================================================
    Toronto Star - chef Guy Tetreault

Pastry to line 6 large muffin tins
    5 Granny Smith Apples peeled and diced
    4 Tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    2 teaspoons all purpose flour
    cinnamon
    1 tablespoon butter

Caramel Sauce

1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup butter
    1 cup whipping cream
    Vanilla extract

Roll pastry out 1/8 inch thick and line muffin tins. Cut 6 small circles of dough to place on top of pies.

Make apple filling by combining apples, brown sugar and lemon juice, flour and cinnamon to taste and the butter. Microwave for 5 minutes.( Taste and adjust seasoning. Depending on the apples you might have to add some extra
    sugar or if they are really juicy, some extra flour.)

Fill each pastry line muffin cup and place one of the small rounds of dough in the middle. Flute edges of pies. Bake in a 400° F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve each apple tart on a large plate with some vanilla ice cream and some caramel sauce.

(Option) Make in small tart tins rather than muffin tins.

Caramel sauce.

Bring all ingredients to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.

Remove from heat and add some vanilla. (Option) add rum.

Thibeault's Table - Recipe Collection

• Related Discussions

I saw it, I saw it....wing waving!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi all, As I said in a recent post, we've had 2 pair of Blues over-wintering here. They check our boxes and eat suet and peanuts and mealies everyday. Well recently we've been seeing a lot of activity with them entering the boxes... and today I caught a few shots of the males wing-waving too! They've been doing this for weeks: Today we saw this: We see 2 females and 2 males chasing each other about thruout the day.... and often perching in pairs like this: Spring is in the air, Kenn :)
    ...See More

Oh no- now I can't find it...should have saved it...

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you Thank you!! Yes- it was the Guttenburg site owbist! I don't know why I couldn't find it again. It is a long book and I was so happy to find it! This may be why people are so happy with the Kindle type books- on my HP Mini I really don't have alot of print on the page- I have to scroll down very frequently- it will take many 'down arrows' to get through 1200 pages! Thank you!
    ...See More

Finally saw backsplash I love, can't find pic in gallery; help?

Q

Comments (8)
    I found it, I found it, I found it! Searched "granite, anyone?" on google, and there it was. I can't figure out how to get the pic from there to here, though. We have a freestanding range so there's no way to put something fancy behind the range, and this suits me perfectly. If anyone wants to see it, it's in a pic in the Home Galleries called Red Granite, anyone? The granite is Red Dragon. It's posted by krislrob. Thanks, all, for your help.
    ...See More

Grainlady, I saw this recipe and thought of you

Q

Comments (6)
    I also wanted to give you a recipe which we love here. My measurements are sloppy but have my faithful pumpkin seeds included! 1.5 cup or so ground pumpkin seeds 1/2 cup or so ground flax 4 eggs 2 finely shredded medium carrots large handful unsweetened coconut 1/2 cup applesauce 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 cup or so raisins 1.5 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 1/4 cup honey 1/4 cup olive oil or any oil any addition of chia seeds, nuts, etc I think that is it. I add contents as I remember them as it isn't fussy like regular recipes. I bake at 350 from 35-45 minutes. Not sure what happened with the spacing here....
    ...See More
  • User
    16 years ago

Or maybe this one? But this one is a cake.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Spiced Apple Sponge with Demerara Caramel
    =========================================

gorgeoustown.typepad.com/.../index.html

* 1 Tablespoon softened butter
    * 2 large organic apples, cored and sliced
    * 2 Tablespoons yellow, brown or demerara sugar
    * 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 4 eggs
    * 1/2 cup vanilla sugar
    * 2/3 cup cake flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon ginger
    * 1/4 cup melted butter
    * 1 cup cream
    * 1 cup demerara sugar
    * 1 vanilla pod
    * 1 Tablespoon apple brandy

Preheat oven to 370F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9" springform pan with the tablespoon of soft butter. Layer apple slices in the bottom and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. In a stand mixer whip eggs and vanilla sugar on high for 8 to 10 minutes, or until pale, fluffy and greatly increased in volume. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger. Fold flour mixture into eggs one third at a time. Fold in melted butter. Pour batter into pan and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 to 22 minutes, or until sides start to come away from the pan and the top springs back when touched lightly. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake and invert onto a cake stand to cool.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, sugar and vanilla pod, using the tip of a knife to scrape out the seeds into the

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ritaotay - Thanks for the recipe. It looks yummy. I will have to try that one out.

Anne T - I think it may have been your cake I saw. I couldn't remember exactly what it was. Having a senior moment. Thanks for posting again.

We picked all our apples from our Stayman apple tree last Sunday and I have a ton so looking for new recipes. I have already made Baked Apples, Apple Crumb, Apple Pie, Apple Bread, Apple Butter, and going to slice and freeze the rest.
    Thanks.
    Clare

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Hey Clare, this is an apple tart but no caramel - yet another wonderful recipe posted by Ann. (she has a great pic of this one too - maybe it's the one you were thinkin gof )

Apple Tart (With Cream cheese Filling)
    ======================================
    CRUST:
    1 cup (140 grams) all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup (35 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    FILLING:
    One 8-ounce (227 grams) cream cheese, at room temperature
    1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    TOPPING:
    1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
    4 cups (500 ml) Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch (.6 cm) slices (about 3-4 large apples)
    1/3 cup (35 grams) sliced almonds
    . Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) and place rack in center of
    oven. Grease (or spray with Pam) a 9 inch (22 cm) springform pan.
    CRUST: In the bowl of your food processor place the flour and sugar. Pulse
    to blend together. Add butter and pulse until dough just begins to come
    together. Pat the dough onto the bottom and one inch (2.5 cm) up the sides
    of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator while you
    make the filling.
    FILLING: In a food processor process the cream cheese until smooth. Add
    the sugar and mix well. Blend in the egg and vanilla extract and process
    until smooth. Remove the crust from the fridge and pour in the filling.
    Return to refrigerator while you prepare the topping.
    TOPPING: Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss the sliced
    apples in the sugar mixture. Spoon the apples evenly over the cream cheese
    layer and sprinkle with almonds. Place the springform pan on a larger
    baking sheet to catch the drips.
    Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400
    degrees F (205 degrees C) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown
    (apples are soft when pierced with a fork), and filling is almost set.
    Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with
    confectioners sugar and serve at room temperature. If there are leftovers
    cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

stacy3 - Thanks for the recipe. Sounds delicious. I will add it to my file.
    Clare

• hawk307
    16 years ago

How do you like that !!!!!
    I don't any credit for anything.
    LOU

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Lou for referencing Ann T.
    Clare

• Lisa_in_Germany
    16 years ago

ann, your first recipe is incomplete.
    Lisa

• User
    16 years ago

Lisa, The apple tart recipe? I just read it and it looks like everything is there. But it is early here so maybe I missed something.

Is it a pastry recipe that you are looking for? If so this is my favourite pastry recipe.

Butter-Lard Pastry
    ==================
    2 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup lard (or shortening- Crisco)
    5 to 6 tablespoons of ice water

(note: if using for a sweet pie, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar.)
    . Mix flour with salt, and cut in butter and lard.

(Note: I use the cuisinart to cut in my fat and then move the mixture
    to a bowl to add the water by hand).
    I like to have to do this by feel which I find I can't do by machine)

Put flour mixture in bowl and add water mixing with a fork until pastry
    comes together. Form in to a ball and cut in two pieces. Form each
    into a round flat disc and refrigerate for 1 hour.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lisa - In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, sugar and vanilla pod, using the tip of a knife to scrape out the seeds into the

Is this the part you mean? Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even catch it.

ann_t - Thanks for the pastry recipe. My Mom always claimed lard made the best pastry. I use a combination of Crisco and butter myself.
    Clare

• vagardengirl
    16 years ago

bump

• User
    16 years ago

OOOPs, Thank you Lisa and Clare for catching that. Not sure how that happened.

Here it is again.

=========================================

gorgeoustown.typepad.com/.../index.html

* 1 Tablespoon softened butter
    * 2 large organic apples, cored and sliced
    * 2 Tablespoons yellow, brown or demerara sugar
    * 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 4 eggs
    * 1/2 cup vanilla sugar
    * 2/3 cup cake flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon ginger
    * 1/4 cup melted butter
    * 1 cup cream
    * 1 cup demerara sugar
    * 1 vanilla pod
    * 1 Tablespoon apple brandy

Preheat oven to 370F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9" springform pan with the tablespoon of soft butter. Layer apple slices in the bottom and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. In a stand mixer whip eggs and vanilla sugar on high for 8 to 10 minutes, or until pale, fluffy and greatly increased in volume. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger. Fold flour mixture into eggs one third at a time. Fold in melted butter. Pour batter into pan and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 to 22 minutes, or until sides start to come away from the pan and the top springs back when touched lightly. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake and invert onto a cake stand to cool.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, sugar and vanilla pod, using the tip of a knife to scrape out the seeds into the cream. Stir mixture until sugar dissolves completely. Increase heat to 3/4 and bring to a rolling simmer. Allow to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the caramel starts to thicken visibly. Remove from heat. Use a fork to fish out the vanilla pod. Stir the brandy into the caramel. Pour caramel over the cake. Serve warm.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ann_t - Thanks for posting the correction. I think I might make it this weekend. I finally bought a crank style apple peeler and am doing all the apples this weekend.
    Clare

• vagardengirl
    16 years ago

=) I picked up apples at the FM this morning to make this, too! YUM!!
    Thank you again, AnnT.
    VAgardengirl

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Ann T: I saw that but I knew where the seeds went ?????

LOU

Ann , Clare : Only Kidding !

• vagardengirl
    16 years ago

AnnT, thank you again for this recipe! I made this over the weekend to serve with coffee after church. Wonderful recipe...the cake is not overly sweet and allows the apple and caramel to shine through. Perfect for coffee and everyone loved it! It was all gone at the drop of a hat. ;)
    I did notice that I cut my apples a little thinner than you showed in your picture...the next time I bake it I will be sure to do as you did.
    VAgardengirl

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I was just glancing through the new KA catalog and found this recipe:

County Fair Caramel Apple Bars

Caramel and apple is always a winning combination. These bars, cut in 3" squares and topped with ice cream, make a delicious plated dessert. Cut smaller, they pack nicely in your lunchbox.

Crust
    1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces) unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 cup (5 5/8 ounces) brown sugar, firmly packed
    1 cup (4 ounces) confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 3/4 cups (11 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1 cup (3 1/4 ounces) nut flour*
    1 large egg

Filling
    4 to 5 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced, then chopped (about 5 cups, about 20 ounces prepared)
    2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) brown sugar
    2 tablespoons (1 ounce) boiled cider, or substitute an additional 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Topping**
    1 cup (10 ounces) caramel, from a block, or about 30 caramel candies
    2 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) milk or cream

*Almond (toasted or plain), hazelnut flour (toasted or plain), and pecan meal are all good choices. Or grind 1 cup nuts in a food processor; be sure to stop before the mixture becomes pasty.

**Or use our prepared caramel sauce.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan or 10" x 10" bun pan.

To make the crust: Beat together the butter, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, sugars, and vanilla till smooth. Add the flours, mixing till crumbly. Set aside half the mixture (about 3 generous cups, 15 ounces); add the egg to the remainder, beating to combine. Press the crust with egg into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake the crust for 17 minutes, till it's barely starting to brown around the edges. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.

To make the filling: Slice the apples about 1/4" thick, then chop into 1/2" to 3/4" pieces. An apple peeler/corer/slicer gives you a great head start on this task. Combine the apples with the remaining filling ingredients, and distribute over the crust. Spread the reserved crust mixture over the apples.

Bake the bars for 45 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and after 15 minutes cut them into squares, leaving them in the pan. Cool completely, then place the bars on a rack set over a piece of parchment.

To make the topping: Place the caramel and milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup, and heat till the caramel is very soft. Stir (reheating if necessary) till the mixture is smooth and pourable. Drizzle it over the bars. Yield: 16 to 24 bars.

Michelle

• vagardengirl
    16 years ago

These sound wonderful! Thank you...I'll try these for sure.
    VAgardengirl

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

msafirstein - Thanks for the additional apple recipe. I will add it to my collection. Sounds yummy!

Lou - Me too!

Clare

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor