SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmarieok

I saw it, I saw it....wing waving!

dmarieok
16 years ago

Yesterday, I saw the pair of blues checking out one of my boxes in back...I have not actually seen them go in, and I know that is because they just haven't made up their mind.

And I was watching this morning and saw another odd site...I don't know if you guys remember me saying that I have had 3 males and 1 female all winter? And I am almost positive Hans and Frans (the twins) were BOTH checking out the same box! I saw one at the opening and then the other one swooped in and moved him off and got a good peek later.

Well, just a litte bit ago, I looked out again and the pair of blues was checking out the other box I have in back and low and behold....WING WAVING! (and no, I am not shouting...just excited!)

I was wondering if they would stay fairly close because that male and that female have been spending the night in my "fake" swallow nests that are made of wood and up under the porch. But then again, close is my neighbor's, but I have seen both of his boxes with HOSP perched on top and in the other one, the male was completely inside.

One word of caution to anyone new...the HOSP start their season earlier than the blues and get attached to a nestbox and then if your blues return, then they can be in danger. That is what happened last year. My neighbor thought the blues were going in and out of his box, but it w actually a HOSP pair and then when the blues were ready to pick, the male trapped her inside.

Although it has become a wake-up call for my neighbor, it was still very difficult. I can only hope he starts looking and notices that there are HOSP in both boxes...

Just a Word...but wing-waving! The time is almost here!

DJ

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!