SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Thawing frozen food - rules of thumb: whole chicken, qt. soup...

lynnalexandra
16 years ago

I decided it was time to go through my freezer and start using some of the food in there. But I have no idea how to defrost most of those foods. There are a few particular foods I wonder about, but thought this thread might be a good place for other people's questions and answers on thawing food.

Some of my more immediate questions are about

1) a 3 1/2 pound whole chicken last night and put it in the refrigerator. It still feels fairly frozen tonight. How long should it take to defrost? I knew 1 day wouldn't be enough, but if it's much more than 2 days, I'm concerned that the outer areas are thawed and sitting around a couple of days (albeit, refrigerated) before the inside thaws.

2) a quart of soup in a plastic container

3) loaf of bakery bread

4) frozen uncooked flank steak (1 1/2 pounds) or 12 ounce steaks.

5) pan of frozen food - eg, lasagna, casserole, pulled pork (this last one came up when I hosted a class potluck and one parent gave me a frozen pan of pork and suggested I heat it for 1 hour at 350 degrees - well most of you probably know what I learned that night - not nearly enough time - I think it took more than 2 hours and I added some water to keep it from getting dry). Would people add water, heat covered or uncovered, etc.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022