Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong #13 - Cheese

ann_t
11 years ago

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 12:49

The new *star* ingredient is CHEESE!!!!
Rob33 has picked something that I'm sure we all have favorite recipes for.

So let's make this a real 'cheesey' thread!

Here's the link for the last cookalong...

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to #12-----CORN
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #13 ------- CHEESE
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 14:00

Right up my alley!
Here's one of the best cheese cakes I have tasted! Nothing strange in it...just good stuff!
Secret Lindy's-Style New York Cheesecake

Cookie Pastry Crust
• 1/4 lb. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1/4 c. sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 1/2 c. flour

Beat the butter and sugar in a medium mixing bowl with electric mixer on
medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 mins.
Add the egg and flour and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
With your hands, shape it into a ball and flatten it into a disc.
Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it until it's firm.
Remove the sides from the springform pan and press one third of
the pastry evenly over the bottom.
Place on baking sheet and bake in 400F oven for 6 mins. or until golden.
Remove from the oven and cool.
Increase oven temperature to 500F.
Butter the sides of the springform pan and attach it to the bottom.
Press the remaining pastry about two thirds up the sides.

Filling
• 5 8-oz. pkgs. cream cheese, room temperature
• 1 3/4 c. sugar
• 3 T. flour
• 2 t. lemon peel
• 1 1/2 t. orange peel
• 1/4 t. salt
• 1/4 t. vanilla
• 5 eggs plus 2 egg yolks, room temperature
• 1/4 c. sour cream

Beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed
until smooth and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
Gradually add the sugar, flour, lemon and orange peel, salt and vanilla, beating constantly.
Add eggs and yolks one at a time, beating well after each egg.
Scrape the bowl one or two more times.
Add in the sour cream; the mixture will be thin.
Pour it into the pastry-lined springform pan.

Put it together

Place the pan on a baking sheet.
Bake it in the oven at 500F for 8 mins. or until the top is golden.
Reduce the oven temperature to 200F (don't open the oven!) and continue to bake it
for 1 hour or until the center jiggles slightly.
When finished cooking, shut off the open, prop the door open,
and let the cheesecake sit in the oven for about 3 or 4 hrs.
Once it's finished cooling, wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it several hours or overnight.
Serve it up!
Remove the sides of the springform pan.
Now you can add whatever glaze, ganache, or other spread you desire over the top of the cheesecake.
Keep it refrigerated until serving time!

Steaks with brandy walnut cheese glaze...

2, 3, 4 or whatever 6 to 8 ounce beef filets mignon, at room temperature
(let sit out for at least 30 minutes before beginning prep work)
kosher salt
black pepper
clarified butter
cognac or brandy
Maytag blue cheese crumbled (about 1/2T per serving)
coarsely chopped walnuts (about 1T per serving)

On your Weber Genesis, pre-heat a cast-iron skillet that's large enough to
hold all the steaks at once (or two smaller) over the Weber burners set on
High-High-High for at least 15 minutes, or until the Weber's thermometer
reads 550 degrees. You MUST use cast iron for this - anything less will
burn or warp. Do not use stainless or aluminum, and only use porcelinized
cast iron (like Le Crueset) if you don't mind permanent black stains.

While that is preheating, season the filets with a pinch of kosher salt and
a generous dose of freshly ground pepper - all pressed into the meat, both
sides.

Next, toast the chopped walnuts in a dry sauté pan over medium heat for 3-5
minutes - until they begin to brown.

When the pan on the grill is BLAZING hot (showing a little gray ash in the
center, grill thermometer between 500 and 550 degrees), dip the filets in
the butter on both sides (pour a puddle onto a plate - this is why they
must be room temp. If colder, the butter will congeal and stick to the
plate you set them back on and stay there, and the steaks will stick and
burn to the pan) and CAREFULLY drop into the hot pan. They will smoke like
a three-alarm fire as they cook. LEAVE THE HOOD ON THE GRILL UP unless
it's colder than about 50 degrees outside.

Let them cook on the first side about 2 minutes, then turn over and cut the
heat to Medium-Off-Medium (your three Weber burners there) and cook with
the hood down until just slightly less than your desired doneness (a 1"
thick filet will take about 4-5 minutes on the second side) Then open the
hood and dump about 2 T of brandy or cognac per serving into the pan and
ignite with a long match or lighter - wait for the flame to subside and
then remove the steaks to a warmed plate tented with foil to keep the
steaks warm.

Then, add enough brandy to the pan to be sure you have enough to "sauce"
each steak, flame again if needed to burn off the alcohol, and cook until
it just begins to thicken and get syrupy - scrape the pan with a wooden
spoon or spatula as you do. Then, add in the blue cheese and walnuts and
stir until the cheese is melted. Remove the pan from the heat, carry
inside, plate up each steak and pour a little sauce over each and add a
portion of the nuts. Serve and enjoy.

Blue satin soup:
one14oz. can chicken broth 1 cup milk
4 T. butter 4 oz Maytag Blue cheese 2 oz dry sherry
1/2 c. flour 1 cup light cream Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1/4 c. each very finely minced celery,
green onion and green pepper

melt butter in heavy sauce pan, add vegetables and saute very slowly until soft and translucent, but not brown. Add flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until the flour is cooked but not brown, add the warmed chicken broth whisking all the while to prevent lumps. Simmer 2 minutes, Add the crumbled blue cheese and stir until smooth. Add milk and cream and heat to serving temp, but do not boil ( it will curdle) add sherry and pepper. Garnish with chopped chives and sour cream if desired.
There are many many more....but this is a start...
Linda C

o

* Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 14:26

Nancy, is there a target date for a virtual cook along and if so when? I'd love to participate in more of these cookalongs.

Linda, that Lindy Style Cheesecake is a classic. Back when I baked cheesecakes on a more regular basis, that was the one I made.

Here are a couple of "Cheesey" recipes

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Praline Cheesecake
==================
1-1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans toasted
1/4 cup butter melted
3 - 8 oz packages cream cheese
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk NOte: I used coffee cream
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup pecan halves toasted.

Caramel Sauce topping

1 cup corn syrup - dark
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tablespoon Brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla

Note: I use my regular caramel sauce instead of the one mentioned above:

Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cream
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all the ingredients together and simmer for about 5 or 6 minutes.

Serve over Bread and butter pudding, apple pie and ice cream, warm gingerbread, etc..

Combine graham crackers, sugar, pecans and stir in melted butter. Press mixture over the bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a 9" inch spring pan. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour and vanilla. Add eggs and beat until just blended. pour into crust. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until set.

Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Loosen sides and remove rim. Cool completely. Arrange toasted pecans on top of cake decoratively.

Make Topping by combining corn syrup, cornstarch and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and
add vanilla.

To serve cake, Pour sauce over top and serve remaining sauce in a pitcher at the table.

NOTE: I baked the cake in a Baine Marie. I wrapped foil around the outside of the springform pan to prevent any water from seeping in to the cake.

(Toronto Star Newspaper: 1981)

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Chiles Rellenos
===============
I have been making Chiles Rellenos for about 30 years. I have never had an actual recipe. I just watch someone I knew (from Texas) make them and have been making this way ever since.

I guess now is as good a time as any to put it down on paper.

1 or 2 cans whole chili peppers (usually 3 or 4 in a can)
Monterey jack cheese
2 or 3 eggs separated
1 tablespoon flour
salt and pepper

oil for frying

Sauce.

canned tomatoes
onions
garlic
cayenne pepper
canned of chopped chilies
chicken broth

Cut cheese into finger size pieces.

Carefully shove the cheese stick into a pepper being careful not to split it. Heat about 1 inch of oil in frying pan.

Beat the egg whites until medium stiff peaks form. do not over beat. Beat egg yolks with salt, pepper and the tablespoon on flour. Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture.

Dip the pepper stuffed with cheese into flour and then into the egg mixture. Carefully add to the oil. If needed, spoon a bit of the egg mixture on top of the pepper while in the pan. (these fry quickly), flip over and fry other side. Remove and drain on paper towels. Continue cooking until all of the peppers are cooked.

Make sauce by sauting the onions and garlic, add the chopped tomatoes and season with the chilies, salt and pepper. Add some chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve Chili Relleno with sauce on the side OR Place the fried chili rellenos in a casserole dish and pour the sauce over them. Bake in a 350 oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

o

* Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 14:56

Ann, it seemed like it was getting harder to get everyone to cookalong on the same night as we went from winter into spring. So I suggested everyone just post what they made, when they made it during the two week period. I think life got really hectic when nice weather hit and school was out.

I do have a new idea though.... maybe after Labor Day we could do a virtual dinner where we use only cookalong recipes (except for the meat). Do you think that would be fun?

Nancy

o

* Posted by hawk307 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 15:22

I only make a Delicious, Fluffier type CheeseCake and add Strange things,EG. Vanilla Ice Cream, Cornstarch.

My Daughter makes the NY Style and the Italian Style, Easter CheeseCake using Riccotta Cheese.

She brings some for me or I pick up a piece at our Market.

I use Sharp Provolone when I make Pannini, with Roasted Peppers and Lunchmeat.

Also use it in Salads, along with Feta and Cheddar.
Of course there is everything you can imagine, in there too.
Can't think much Cheese right now.
LOU

o

* Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 17:44

I think I am a cheese-a-holic. I have heard that there are addictive compounds in cheese.

Here's something I found online from "Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine" (Note: I am NOT dissing cheese, or chocolate, for that matter.) It's just FYI. I intend to keep on eating it. I try to limit myself to one or two servings a day. I used to be able to stick to one consistently, but I'm getting soft in my old age, kinda like Brie. I'm also not trying to rain on the parade here, VIVE LA FROMAGE! I'm just rationalizing my cheese monkey. "My name is Lpink and I'm a cheese-a-holic."

"As common as chocolate addiction may be, it is by no means the only potentially addictive food, nor is it the most dangerous. In PCRMs research studies, when we take people off meat, dairy products, and other unhealthy fare, we often find that the desire for cheese, in particular, lingers on much more strongly than for other foods. While they might like ice cream or yogurt, they describe their feelings for cheese as a deep-seated craving. Could cheese really be addictive?

In 1981, Eli Hazum and his colleagues at Wellcome Research Laboratories in Research Triangle Park, N.C., reported a remarkable discovery. Analyzing samples of cows milk, they found traces of a chemical that looked very much like morphine. They put it to one chemical test after another. And, finally, they arrived at the conclusion that, in fact, it is morphine. There is not a lot of it, and not every sample had detectable levels. But there is indeed some morphine in both cows milk and human milk.

Morphine, of course, is an opiate and is highly addictive. So how did it get into milk? At first, the researchers theorized that it must have come from the cows diets. After all, morphine used in hospitals comes from poppies and is also produced naturally by a few other plants that the cows might have been eating. But it turns out that cows actually produce it within their bodies, just as poppies do. Traces of morphine, along with codeine and other opiates, are apparently produced in cows livers and can end up in their milk.

But that was only the beginning, as other researchers soon found. Cows milkor the milk of any other species, for that mattercontains a protein called casein that breaks apart during digestion to release a whole host of opiates called casomorphins. A cup of cows milk contains about six grams of casein. Skim milk contains a bit more, and casein is concentrated in the production of cheese.

If you examined a casein molecule under a powerful microscope, it would look like a long chain of beads (the "beads" are amino acidssimple building blocks that combine to make up all the proteins in your body). When you drink a glass of milk or eat a slice of cheese, stomach acid and intestinal bacteria snip the casein molecular chains into casomorphins of various lengths. One of them, a short string made up of just five amino acids, has about one-tenth the pain-killing potency of morphine.

What are these opiates doing there, hidden in milk proteins? It appears that the opiates from mothers milk produce a calming effect on the infant and, in fact, may be responsible for a good measure of the mother-infant bond. No, its not all lullabies and cooing. Psychological bonds always have a physical underpinning. Like it or not, mothers milk has a drug-like effect on the babys brain that ensures that the baby will bond with Mom and continue to nurse and get the nutrients all babies need. Like heroin or codeine, casomorphins slow intestinal movements and have a decided antidiarrheal effect. The opiate effect may be why adults often find that cheese can be constipating, just as opiate painkillers are.

It is an open question to what extent dairy opiates enter the adult circulation. Until the 1990s, researchers thought that these protein fragments were too large to pass through the intestinal wall into the blood, except in infants, whose immature digestive tracts are not very selective about what passes through. They theorized that milk opiates mainly acted within the digestive tract and that they signaled comfort or relief to the brain indirectly, through the hormones traveling from the intestinal tract to the brain.

But French researchers fed skim milk and yogurt to volunteers and found that, sure enough, at least some casein fragments do pass into the bloodstream. They reach their peak about 40 minutes after eating. Cheese contains far more casein than other dairy products do. As milk is turned into cheese, most of its water, whey proteins, and lactose sugar are removed, leaving behind concentrated casein and fat.

Cheese holds other drug-like compounds as well. It contains an amphetamine-like chemical called phenylethylamine, or PEA, which is also found in chocolate and sausage. And there are many hormones and other compounds in cheese and other dairy products whose functions are not yet understood. In naloxone tests, the opiate-blocking drugeliminates some of cheeses appeal, just as it does for chocolate."

Got . . . to . . . . have . . . . . Havarti . . .

o

* Posted by kathleenca (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 17:59

Though I could go without meat the rest of my life, I absolutely could not go without cheese - about my most favorite food.

This appetizer was from Lloyd Bridges, the actor, & was published in the LA Times. It is a great hit every time I make it.

Curried Cheese Pate with Chutney
Makes 4 1/2 cups - about 20 servings
Best if made ahead.

2 8-oz pkg sharp Cheddar
2 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 tsp curry powder
1/4 c. chopped green onions
1/4 c. Port
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 c. mango chutney such as Major Grey's
finely chopped green onions
orange twists, optional
parsley springs, optional

Shred Cheddar in food processor. Remove from processor bowl & set aside.
Place cream cheese & curry powder in processor & process until well-blended.
Add half of the Chedddar to cream cheese mix & blend well.
Add remaining Cheddar, green onion, Port & salt. Blend until smooth.

Line a 5-cup (1-qt)casserole or bowl with foil, pressing foil tightly against sides of dish. Lightly spray foil with vegetable cooking spray. Spoon cheese mixture into bowl. Cover & refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight.

To serve, uncover & turn upside down on serving tray about 30 minutes before serving. Remove foil. Spread some chutney on top, & serve remaining chutney on the side. Sprinkle green onions around the top edge. Garnish with orange twists & parsley. Serve with assorted crackers.

I've had this 'dressier' version of macaroni & cheese for almost 25 years, & have taken it as a main dish to vegetarians. Instead of layering I have also mixed the ingredients together, topping with the sliced tomato & the shredded Jack cheese. It's good the next day, too.

Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese
4-6 servings

1 c. elbow macaroni
1 10-oz pkg frozen French-cut green beans
1/2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 pint (16-oz) small curd cottage cheese
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large tomato

Cook macaroni in boiling salted water as package directs. Drain & turn into 1 1/2-qt baking dish.
Place green beans in a colander & run under hot water until thawed enough to separate. Drain well & spread on top of macaroni. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Dice half the Monterey Jack cheese. Mix in a separate bowl with the Parmesan, cottage cheese, herbs, pepper & 1 tsp salt. Spoon into dish as third layer.
Top with sliced tomato.
Shred remaining Jack cheese & sprinkle it over the tomato & cheese mixture.
Baked in covered 400 degree oven 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with minced parsley if desired.

Can be assembled & refrigerated earlier in the day to cook later, if desired. Increase baking time 5-10 minutes.

o

Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 18:53

Pinky:
I think it is addictive. Always snacking on Ritz , with Extra Sharp Provolone and Pepperoni.

Sometimes with wine.
After snacking, I walk about 2 feet off the Floor and
Bang my head on the doorways.

Not the Wine, because it does that when I drink Soda too.

Lou

o

Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 18:54

lpink....I had to get up and go get some cheese on a cracker before I could read all your post! Addictive indeed!
Linda's Cheese ball:
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz sharp cheddar, grated (don't even THINK of using that stuff in the bag!)
mix together...I use a hand held beater..
Add:
1 tsp Worchestershire
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley ( or 2 T fresh chopped).
2 T dry sherry wine
Mix well, chill and form into a ball and roll in chopped toasted pecans...takes about 1/3 cup to cover.
OR mix in the nuts and serve in a crock or a bowl as a spread.
Linda C....deciding to have a fresh spinach, mushroom and chedder omelette for dinner

o

* Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 10:39

I must be immune to that addiction because I could live the rest of my life without cheese and not miss it. I don't dislike it, I'm just kind of apathetic. Good thing, it's so bad for my cholesterol levels, LOL. Elery just loves the stuff and I think he eats some of it every day, usually just all by itself. His dog loves it too, so I always have several kinds on hand.

However, I will admit that the Dubliner that I bought at Trader Joe's was pretty awesome on that dark rye Peppi's Dad gave me, along with a slice of proscuitto...

Now, just to be difficult, in spite of the fact that I don't like beer at all and I'm not crazy over cheese, I love this bread. It can be made without a bread machine too, just warm the beer, add the yeast and then the rest of the dry stuff, knead in the cheese, let rise and bake as usual, I do 350 for about 30 minutes but sometimes it takes longer.

BEER CHEESE BREAD

1 package active dry yeast
3 cups bread flour ( I use all purpose)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon butter
10 ounces beer, at room temperature
4 ounces shredded or diced processed American cheese
4 ounces shredded or diced Monterey Jack cheese (I used 8 ounces of sharp cheddar and shredded it)

On stovetop or in microwave, heat beer and American cheese together until just warm. There is no need to completely melt cheese. Stir; transfer mixture to bread machine pan. Add remaining ingredients, select white bread or basic setting, and push start.

Makes a 1 1/2-pound loaf.

I also like the cheese thumbprints filled with my homemade Habanero Gold. My continual thanks goes to Readinglady for giving me this Rick Rodgers recipe.

Savory Cheddar and Jalapeño Jelly Cookies from Rick Rodgers

Makes about 4 1/2 dozen

8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup jalapeno jelly, or sub apple butter or chutney

Place cheese and butter in a food processor (could be creamed by hand or mixer); add flour and process until the mixture forms a soft dough. Gather up the dough and divide into two flat disks. Wrap in wax paper and freeze until chilled, about 45 minutes.

Position two racks in the center and top third of the oven and preheat to 400°. Line two baking sheets with parchment or use nonstick sheets.

Using 1 teaspoon dough for each, roll the dough into small balls and place 1 inch apart on the sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using the handle of a wooden spoon or 1/2-inch-thick dowel, poke an indentation in each cookie. Place the jelly in a small plastic bag and force it down into one corner. Snip off the corner of the bag to make a small hole. Pipe the jelly into the indentations.

Return to the oven and bake, switching the positions of the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking, until the tops are very lightly browned, about 10 minutes. (Cookies will continue to crisp as they cool.) Transfer to racks and cool completely.

Can be baked up to two days ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container and separate layers with wax paper.

Annie

o

* Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 9:44

Hi, I'm Sally, and I'm a cheese-a-holic, too. One of my favorite ways to eat cheese is with pasta. (Maybe I should say some of my favorite ways, since there's so many ways to eat cheese with pasta.) A very simple thing to do is to cook your pasta - I usually us spaghetti noodles for this - and crumble lots of blue cheese on the hot, drained pasta when it's done. Add as much chopped garlic as you like (lots and lots for me) and some good extra virgin olive oil, some ground white pepper and salt to taste. You can add other stuff as you like, such as chopped scallions, chopped olives, veggies, mushrooms, herbs (basil is especially good with this dish). If you have any left-over chicken or other meat, you can add that, too. There are so many ways to do this simple "mac and cheese" type dish.

Linda, I don't know about other people, but the measurements in first recipe you posted show up as odd symbols rather than numbers. Actually, re-reading it, the odd symbols are before the numbers for the measurements. I don't know if there's supposed to be something there instead of the symbols, or if that's just the way the recipe is presented.

Sally

o

Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 11:08

I don't know about those symbols either....I copied and pasted the recipe from my recipe file...but if you ignore the symbols the measurements are correct....and those symbols are NOT in my copy of the recipe, nor did they show up in the preview. Gremlins?

Anyhow....Annie's beer/cheese bread reminded me of a beer cheese spread.
1/2 pound sharp cheddar shredded
1/2 pound Emmenthaler shredded
1/2 tsp Coleman's dry mustard...or perhaps a little more if you like some bite
1/4 tsp garlic powder...or a good sized clove grated on a microplane
1 can of beer...I prefer a lager not a dark beer or a fancy ale. Depending on the cheese it may not take quite all the can of beer....so add half...mix let it sit and then add some more.
Mix all together....let sit a few hours and spread on crackers...or rounds of rye bread.....also good on a piece of french bread and then stuck under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
This is only as good as the cheese you use....it won't be good with bagged shredded cheese.
Linda C

o

* Posted by cooksnsews (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 13:43

I had to check this thread to see if anyone had a recipe to help out LindaC with her surfeit of "dog-cheese"....

Anyway, I have a beery cheesy quick bread that I adapted from a magazine I found last autumn. This should be a bit quicker than Annie's yeasty beery cheese bread.

Cheesy Beery Quick Bread

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic (or more), chopped
ground black pepper
2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c grated aged cheddar (good stuff!)
12oz/350ml bottle of beer (needn't be good stuff)

Pre-heat oven to 375F. Saute onion in oo until it begins to brown. Add garlic and stir for another minute or so. Allow to cool slightly. Stir cheese into mixed dry ingredients, then gently stir in onions and beer, just enough to blend. Bake for 45-60 minutes in a greased loaf pan, until it tests done.

o

Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 13:13

How about "Omlette DU fromage."
In her best Steve Martin voice: "You know those French have different word for practically EVERYTHING."

I can rarely get a perfect omlette. Mine are basically well-ordered scrambled eggs. I make a version called "Dream Eggs" which I first had at a lake joint in Michigan. You mix cubes of cream cheese (in my case neufatchel) in with scrambled eggs. I add Penzey's "Mural of Flavor" seasoning to them (basically a lemon shallot pepper, which ROCKS btw) but you can use any type of salt/pepper/onion/lemon mix. Chives would be good with this too. Scramble the eggs with a touch of milk, then pour into a well oiled pan at med. heat. When eggs are about half set, toss in the cream cheese cubes (and chives if you have them or like them) and cook until eggs are just set. Sprinkle with seasoned salt or lemon pepper if desired, or just plain salt and pepper. Go easy on the seasonings or you'll overpower the dreaminess of the eggs. Just a touch.

Heavanyly with raspberry struesel muffins.

Here's two from my "to try" files, which I may or may not get to. I can't vouch for either one.

Chevre-Fig Spread (from Better Homes and Gardens magazine, Prize tested recipe by Sara Renee Morris, Laguna Niguel, CA, Jan. 2009)

3/4 cup snipped dried figs
3/4 cup crumbled chevre (3 oz)
1/2 cup light sour cream (I might use some neufatchel here)
3 TBLSP snipped fresh basil (This will be awesome when my cinnamon basil comes on)
2 TBLSP milk
1 TBLSP snipped fresh thyme (mine's lemon thyme)
Salt and Ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts

In a small bowl, pour boiling water over figs to cover, let stand 15 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, in a med. bowl, stir together chevere, sour cream, basil, milk and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in drained figs and half the walnuts. Cover and chill in the fridge. Can make up to 24 hours in advance of serving.

To serve, transfer spread to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining nuts and fresh thyme sprigs. Serve with baguette slices or crackers. Makes about 1 1/2 cups (12 2-TBLSP servings)

Sweet Polenta Pizza (this is still leftover from the Corn Cookalong)
Reipe courtesy of Mario Batali on

1 3/4 cup fresh ricotta
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 TBLSP ground cinnamon
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup raisins, plumped in 1/4 to 1/2 cups white wine for 15 min., then drained.
2 cups cornmeal flour (polenta)
2 TBLSP butter

Preheat the oven to 310 degrees F.

Place the ricotta in a large mixing bowl. Bit by bit, add 1 cup water, mixing well with a wooden spoon after each addition. When the ricotta is loose and creamy, add the sugar, cinnamon, pine nuts and raisins. Stir until the mixture is homogenous. As you stir, add the cornmeal flour bit by bit until completely incorporated.

Use 1 TBLSP butter to lightly grease a 9 inch baking pan. Pour the ricotta mixture into the pan and use the back of the wooden spoon to level the top of the filling. Dab the remaining butter across the top of the ricotta mixture. Bake until firm and golden brown, about 40 minutes. Serve immediately, cut into "pizza" slices.

This one scares me. Could be good, could be a disaster. Corn flour, cornmeal and polenta are all very different things. Depends of the grind of the corn. So I dunno which to use, I actually have all three! I might mix them together.

o

* Posted by woodie2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 13:52

Here is another mac and cheese from Kathleenca! I have this in my fridge right now, waiting to be baked tomorrow (had to do it today cause we're going to the beach with the whole famdamily tomorrow and I've got the first night to cook - but then I should be off duty for the rest of the week, I think :) This tastes great cold, before baking, so I can only imagine how good it will be when its baked. Thanks, Kathleen!

Joan's on Third Macaroni and Cheese
Posted by kathleenca (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 17:24
I made this recipe last month for the first time, though I cut it out of the paper about two years ago. It's now my very favorite macaroni & cheese. It's very rich & feeds a lot. I gave some to two others, who are still talking about it. It keeps well - doesn't break down & get watery. It is SO good! Joan's on Third is a popular restaurant in Los Angeles.

10 - 12 servings
1 pound pasta (elbow macaroni, fusilli, or any shape desired)
2 ounces butter
3 3/4 cups whole milk
6 ounces ricotta or small curd cottage cheese
3 ounces cream cheese
12 ounces Monterey jack, shredded
12 ounces Gouda, shredded, plus 8 ounces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling, salted water until just tender. Drain well.
Add butter, milk, ricotta, cream cheese, Monterey jack, and 12 ounces of the Gouda to the warm pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
Gently mix everything together, leaving some chunks of cheese visible. Pour the mixture into 9 by 11-inch baking pan.
Top with the remaining 8 ounces of Gouda.
Bake until beautifully golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature.

o

* Posted by punamytsike (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 16:45

These are my son's favorite buns - cheese buns that he calls irresistible and addictive LOL

CheeseBunDone

Ingredients:

* Egg, fresh, 1 large ( 0.09 ¢)

* Water ¼ cup

* Sour Cream, 3 tbsp ( 0.16 ¢)

* Olive Oil, 3 tbsp ( 0.24 ¢)

* Granulated Sugar, 3 tbsp ( 0.09 ¢)

* Flour, white, 2 1/8 cup ( 0.23 ¢)

* Yeast, ½ tbsp ( 0.01 ¢)

* Cheddar cheese, 8 oz ($1.50)

Total $ 2.32 or 0.19¢ per bun

I use bread maker to make the dough and I usually make double the dough at one time, as I have 2lb bread machine.

CheeseBunDougReady

Once the dough is done, preheat the oven to 350 °. Roll the dough out to about 9" by 13".

CheeseBunRolledOutWCheese

Cover the dough with shredded cheddar cheese (I used extra sharp). Roll the dough into jellyroll and cut it to 12 pieces.

CheeseBunShaping

Spray pan with oil and put the buns into it.

CheeseBunReadyForOven

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy.

CheeseBunCloseupSmall1

Here is a link that might be useful: for nutritional info, check ou the link
o

Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 18:50

Funny...I made some "cheesey cinnamon rolls"
a couple of weeks ago...about the only difference was that I added a little grated parmesan cheese on top of the cheddar.
Yummy!!
About time for another cheesy recipe.
Robins blue blazers
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 oz Maytag Blue Cheese
1 T cognac
2 T chili sauce
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 T minced green onion
Cayenne pepper to taste ( more is better!)
4 English muffins split and lightly toasted
Black olive halves to garnish
Have butter and blue cheese at room temperature. Mix all but muffins and
olives with a fork until well mixed. Spread on muffin halves, cut into quarters,
top each piece with a black olive half, place on a cookie sheet and
broil until lightly browned.
Serve hot.

I am sure this counts as a "cheese recipe"!
Marbled Cream Cheese Brownies
=============================
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
3 eggs, divided
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons vanilla, divided.
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
(more as needed)
. Preheat oven to 350°F Butter an 8-inch square pan. Melt chocolate and 4
tablespoons of the butter in small heavy saucepan over low heat; set aside.
Mix cream cheese with remaining 2 tablespoons butter in small bowl. Slowly
add 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, blending well. Add 1 egg, the 2
tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla; set aside. Beat remaining 2
eggs and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in large bowl until light. Add the baking
powder, salt and 1/2 cup flour. Blend in chocolate mixture, remaining 2
teaspoon vanilla. Stir in walnuts or pecans. Spread half of the chocolate
mixture in prepared pan. Cover with cream cheese mixture, then spoon
remaining chocolate mixture over the top. Swirl with knife or spatula to
create a marbled effect. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until set in center. Do not overbake. Meanwhile, prepare Icing. Cool brownies 5 minutes, then spread
icing evenly over the top. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into
2-inch squares.
Makes 16 brownies
Icing
Combine chocolate chips, butter, milk in a bowl and melt in the microwave.
Stir until smooth and add vanilla. Add powdered sugar; beat until glossy and
easy to spread.

I love spinach and blue cheese together!
Blue Cheese Chicken Breasts
4 Chicken breast halves, boned and skinless
1 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach
1 cup medium white sauce (2 T butter, 1 1/2 T. flour and 1 cup of milk)
1 small onion chopped
1 T olive oil (extra virgin is best)
1 clove garlic chopped
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled Maytag Blue Cheese
1 T dry sherry
Sauté onion in olive oil until soft, thaw spinach and drain well, and mix
onions, garlic and water chestnuts with the spinach, Mix well.
Spread spinach mix in a 9 by 9 baking dish. Arrange chicken breasts over
the spinach. Stir blue cheese into white sauce and heat until cheese is
melted. Add sherry and parsley and spoon over chicken. (Can be refrigerated,
covered, at this point)
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until bubbly and chicken is done.
longer if refrigerated.

And another cheesy dessert.
Apple Kuchen Bars
Source: Fireside (Food Network)
For the crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
For the filling:
1 pound cream cheese, at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, at room temperature
For the topping:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, if desired, cored, and thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan.
To make the crust: Place the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl or food processor and mix to combine. Add the vanilla and butter, a little at a time, and mix until it resembles cornmeal. Press into the prepared baking pan. Bake until slightly golden but not brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. Lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
To make the filling: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Add the egg, mix to combine, pour over the cooled crust. Place the apples on top of the filling in two or three columns. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar. Bake until firm and a rich brown, about 20 minutes. Cut into 20 to 24 pieces.
That's enough for now....

o

Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 20:13

This one is my tried and true. I've posted it here before to good reviews. Easy way to make something vaguely "gourmet" without any fussing. But also loved by kids.

Baked Greek Pasta and Cheese.
Serves 4-6
Preheat oven to 300 degrees

1 lb. spaghetti
1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
4 TBLSP melted butter
3 eggs, beaten
1 TBLSP minced parsley
1 tsp. ground nutmeg

Break spaghetti into 2" or 3" lengths. (I just break into three parts) Cook in 2 qts. boiling water for 6-8 minutes. Mix all other ingredients together. Add to cooked spaghetti. Place this mixture in a greased baking dish and bake in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes until top becomes golden brown. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving (this is important).

Note: this gets dry. You'll probably have to add milk to it if you want to reheat it after it's baked. I tend to add a splash of milk to it before I put it in the oven. You can also top this with bread crumbs and melted butter if you want a really golden brown crust.

o

Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 9:30

I guess we're all busy with summer stuff. I'm going to be away from the computer for a few days, and I just haven't had the time lately to do a lot of cooking or posting, so I guess I'm not participating in this cookalong. Actually, it's hard to narrow down the choices, since I use cheese every single day, whether eating it by itself as a snack (one of my favorite ways to eat cheese) or cooked in something or grated onto my salads. Everyone's recipes look so good, though, I want to save them.

Sally

o

* Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 11:01

I'm afraid that I can't participate here either at the moment because I'm on a diet and have just been allowed the first bits of fresh goat cheese per day and no other type so it's slim picking for me for a while. But I'll copy recipes with pleasure and if I still find one in my files to add here I'll come back and do so.
Sorry.

SharonCb

o

Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 14:53

OK, for those of us watching our weight, here' a way I lower the calories in my cheese sandwiches. I am probably making this over the weekend or early in the week:

Mix equal parts grated cheese and lowfat cottage cheese in the food processor or use a potato masher. I'm using swiss cheese (jarlsburg) but you could use sharp cheddar or any other strong flavored cheese. You can doll up this cheese spread with veggies and seasonings. I'm using a chopped scallion and some pickled yellow peppers because I have them on hand. Can use dill or caraway or cumin to season. Is great on rye and also on whole wheat with tomato, lettuce and avocado. (But with avocado, there goes your calorie savings!) Can also fill celery sticks, pepper boats or tomatoes with this.

o

* Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 20:10

This sure is a Cheesey thread! Pun intended!

I really am wondering if we should wait until after Labor Day to start the next Cookalong. I've had a hard time myself due to working extra hours. Once vacations are over and life settles down for everyone we can pick up again.

What do you think? It's up to you...

Nancy

o

* Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 8:58

Punamytsike, That's different and looks tasty. I probably wouldn't have thought to give it a try without your visuals, thanks.

o

Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 9:44

Yum, Punamytsike, that looks delicious. However, last night I made a white cheddar and beer loaf, with some of the apple flavored Unibroue beer called Ephemere (because that's what I had on hand, LOL) and white cheddar.

I decided to add some marjoram, some basil, onion and garlic and some cayenne pepper. Aye yi yi, it was spicy, but good.

I suppose I should take a picture.....

Annie

o

* Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 9:44

I would agree to suspend until Labor Day Nancy. That's in September isn't it? I know I won't be making any special dishes until I'm back to eating at a normal pace which would hopefully be some time in the fall. Since summer is vacation time, many of us would be travelling or moving around. But see how everyone else thinks.

SharonCb

o

Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 9:47

Hey Annie, I don't have beer (I'm allergic) but I do have one small serving sized bottle of cheapo champagne. Do you think that would work for the "beer bread?" You know me, no beer bread for this girl, it's champagne all the way!
:)

o

Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 9:47

I don't mind suspending the cookalong until September. It's not like the whole forum would be suspended, and we can still cook as much as we want and post about it as much as we want.

Sally

o

Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 9:56

L, I don't see any reason why the champagne wouldn't work just like the beer does. It still has yeast and flour and doesn't rely on the beer to rise, I think the beer is just liquid. Probably apple juice would work the same, but the flavor would sure be different.

Here's the recipe I use, but I just grate up all the cheese and toss it into the bread machine at the beginning with everything else, on top of the dry ingredients. I don't warm anything because my bread machine has a "preheat" cycle. Oh, and I completely ignore that last part about waiting until it's cool to cut it, LOL.

Una's Cheddar Beer Bread
)

1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle premium lager
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons milk
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Grease two (9x5 inch) loaf pans. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm beer slightly. Stir in milk and 2 tablespoons margarine to melt. Pour contents into bread machine pan. Pour in flour. Make a well in the center of the flour, and sprinkle salt onto one side of the mound that forms. Into the well, pour the sugar and yeast. Sprinkle with pepper, onion, garlic, and herbs. Begin the dough cycle.

Meanwhile, slice the cheese into pea-size crumbles. Avoid using shredded cheese, as it may clump. Once the dough forms into a sticky ball, gradually add the cheese crumbles. As the cycle continues and the cheese fully incorporates into the dough, the ball should still be somewhat soft and sticky. If it is too dry, add a bit of milk.

When the cycle has completed, punch down the dough, and divide it in half. Place each half into a greased loaf pan, and allow the dough to rise, about 45 to 60 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
When the dough has risen, bake for 1 hour, or until the loaves are golden brown and make a hollow sound when thumped. Immediately turn out onto a cooling rack, and brush with melted butter. Cool completely before cutting.

Oh, and it makes awesome grilled cheese sandwiches and my secretary makes it by hand because she doesn't have a bread machine. Just dump everything into a bowl, stir it up, then knead and let rise, punch it down, shape, rise and bake.

Annie

o

* Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 11:08

Last night, with a bit of chicken marsala (two chicken tenders is a bit, right?) I had Sol's Angel Hair Flan. Mmm. Since we're all watching our weight it, it has 204 calories per serving; not too bad.

Angel Hair Flan

1 cup whipping cream
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon minced, fresh thyme or pinch of dried thyme.
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1½ cups freshly grated Pecorino cheese
3 ounces angel hair pasta, cooked

Butter 6 - ½ cup ramekins. Whisk first four ingredients. Season generously with S & P. Stir in 1 cup Pecorino. Divide freshly cooked pasta evenly among prepared ramekins. Pour egg mixture over pasta to the very top of ramekins. Sprinkle flans with remaining ½ cup Pecorino cheese. Bake in a 350°F oven, until flans are set and golden brown, 20-25 minutes.

Run a knife around sides of ramekins to loosen. Unmold and serve. These flans will puff up just like a soufflé and once removed from the oven, will fall slightly, just like a soufflé ... but no one will care. ;-)

o

Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 12:23

Light Cheddar Cheese Cassorole with Broccoli and Chicken.

How could I forget this ???

Recipe:
1/2 cup Light Cheddar Cheese cut in small pieces.
Or American Cheese.
You can also mix in some Parmesan.

2 cups of Instant Rice par cooked in Chicken Broth.
I small can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
1 1/2 cups of Partly steamed or Nuked , Broccoli.
1/2 teaspoon of Onion and Garlic Powder ( optional ).
1 1/2 cups of Cut up Roasted Chicken Breasts
( had saved in the freezer).

Cook the rice with Chicken Broth , while the Broccoli is steaming.
Add in all the other ingredients and put this into a baking Dish.
Bake at 320 Deg.for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the Cheese is melted.
This is a fast delicious meal !!!
Lou

Comment

Sponsored