SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caryscott

Am I missing anything (wrong order perhaps?)

caryscott
14 years ago

I am helping a friend paint his 50's era row house: living room, dining room and stairwell\hallway to upstairs. I think I have done my homework but this project has a larger scope than usual (painted many rooms but not so much continuous space and he is using 3 colours).

Step 1:

repairs including caulking cracks in the baseboards

Step 2:

sand (what grit?)

Step 3:

vacuum

clean - he has a dog so we are going to go with a phosphate free T.S.P like cleaner

Step 4:

he had some adhesion problems in the dining room so we are priming all the walls (one coat) with Zinsser 1-2-3 (not the ceiling)

Step 4:

tape off trim

Step 5:

paint the ceiling

Step 6:

tape off ceiling and cut in and roll on wall paint (2 coats)

Wanted to use a Canadian paint so the homeowner is leaning towards the "Designer Series" in a Suede finish (that would be eggshell - he has a little property de-valuer - or in pc terms a pet) which is the top of the line (100% acrylic) from Beauti-Tone the house brand for Home Hardware stores. Nice colour pallette, decent price (more than Behr but significantly less than C2, BM Aura and Sico Premium paints - in fairness comparison should probably be to lesser paints in their respective lines). It is produced here in Ontario. Not as much to choose from since AkzoNobel bought ICI and had to sell off Para Paint and General Paint to Comex. MF and Denalt dealers I visited seem focused on Contractors. I didn't look at Selectone - they have a dealer here in the neighbourhood who handles MF and Denalt as well so I might make one last stop.

Shopping for paint is a PITA - I feel very provincial shopping for Canadian manufactured paint but I don't like to see Canadians giving money to big companies like Masco who don't manufacture anything here.

Comments (9)