SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dd70_gw

What am I missing in this DR?? pics

dd70
15 years ago

I would love to get some honest opions on my DR. You guys are awesome at this and I do need the help. I am trying to decorate french country style, with lots of black and white. I dont think I have succeeded.

Here is what I have done:

BM camoflouge green

Brazilian Cherry floors

I recovered my chairs in black and white toile

The china cabinet is new and I think it's part of the problem buy my DH would kill me if I tried painting it.

The wooden hutch you see on the floor came with a buffet but it wont fit in that spot, I want to get a small sofa table to put there so in the mean time I put the hutch there, I may leave it.

The curtains were very expensive. I would hate to have to change them but I will if you all think I should.

The toile shades under the curtains are from fabric I had left over from the chairs. I like the look and was experimenting, I will have to make new ones because these are not wide enough.

Where did I go wrong?? I dont think its french country, Im not sure what to call it..I really need some adivice.

TIA!

From Dining room
From Dining room
From Dining room
From Dining room
From Dining room
From Dining room
From Dining room
From Dining room

Comments (59)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Monablair was right on the money with her suggestion of replacing the hardware on your china cabinet. The nickel looks way too contemporary.

With all of the bright white you have going on, there's a need for some more organic looking pottery. Are your chairs a brighter white than the cabinet?

If you are going to buy a sofa table, try to find an older one. Check out craigslist or an antique store. You want your space to look more aged.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

I immediately feel that the drapes are the problem...you need something a little more interesting there...I'd do a long black rod over the windows and a panel on each side...a panel with a pattern....

• Related Discussions

Tomatoe Woes... What am I missing

Q

Comments (9)
    Ahhh, I see. Al posts over on the Container Gardening forum and I did find several previous discussions there on his mixes. Plus 1 I linked below is on problems with the mixes with tomatoes. You might want to check it out. You can also contact him directly if you wish. But if you are just watering on some set schedule whether the plant needs it or not - gets saturated Sat and Wens. The plant has never been droopy or appeared in need of water. then you could easily be over-watering and that causes the leaf roll. As to the excess fertilization - if you lay off the fertilizers for a bit the plant will usually recover. You will loose the affected leaves but the plant itself will usually survive. Good luck with the plant. Dave Here is a link that might be useful: Al's mix and tomatoes? discussion
    ...See More

I miss my husband so much,i don't know what I am supose to donow

Q

Comments (16)
    Kay, how are you? I haven't been around for a while, I had to take a break and get myself together. To everyone I want to tell you that I am so sorry for your loss and sadness, it is the worst pain anyone can have BUT it does get better, I promise. My heart and soul mate died 14 months ago and I wanted to die with him, I was in so much pain and so scared of what was going to happen to me without him; life must go on. I was told that it doesn't get better but it gets different and they were right. I still weep and some days are bad but I have more good days as time goes on. Life won't seem so alien after a while, I just felt like I didn't belong here any more, not in my home, my job or this world but I did finally settle with my feet back on the ground. It's not easy but you have to push youself to live and it eventually gets easier. Please take care of yourselves, get help if you need it and work hard at being strong, we will never forget and we will always love them and happier days are ahead. God Bless all, Mav.
    ...See More

What am I missing in this kitchen picture?

Q

Comments (15)
    Some rangetops for islands use an island trim at the back which sticks up above the top of the counter. Our Bluestar for example: The back of the Bluestar island trim has a couple of screws so it isn't terribly pretty. Our fabricator made a trim to cover the back: Since this is an open burner range top, the trim allows air intake to feed air that comes up from under the burners when they run. In the range version of the Bluestar, it also feeds air for the oven. Perhaps the lips on the counter are covering similar island trim behind the burners under the hood or they may have just been put in as a small barrier between the hot surfaces and the back island counter. In any case, it seems an odd spot for a knife block - a utensil caddy maybe, but a knife block? Having your "sheets, cups and tissue boxes embellished" with your house number is kind of weird.
    ...See More

What am I missing? Low divide sink

Q

Comments (10)
    I just ordered from MR Direct International over the phone. I called them b/c a sink I had wanted to order was no longer on the website. I spoke with Jackie and she was great. She answered all my questions and was very helpful. The sink I wanted wasn't on the website b/c it is out of stock. I was still able to order it through her and it will be shipped as soon as it comes in. I also ordered my prep sink through them. I placed the order Monday evening and my prep sink arrived this afternoon. It looks great - I also ordered the grid and the sink strainer. It came with the cut-out template and the clips for undermount installation. I am looking forward to seeing my main sink. My cabinet installation is about 3 weeks out. I will report back regarding the installation once it is done.
    ...See More
  • dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma-I tried to replace the hardware, there are two holes in the wood in which two long cylinders from the hardware go into instead of one (hope i was able to explain that ok) Im kinda at a loss as to what I can do about it other than spray them black?

the chairs and table base are white, the cabinet is an off white.
    amyville-I thought the same about the hutch and stuff on it looking more american country than french.

monablair-thank you for the link, they have some pretty cool posters!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Not much!! One thing I dont like in the room is the hutch which is just resting there.Once its gone you will like it more. The other is the small metal baskets on either side of the window. I think maybe they are too small.
    I love the beads on the chandelier, the paint color on the walls and your furniture. I wouldnt worry about the knobs on the hutch right now at all. Once you make the toile shades wider and put some colorful things in your hutch and on your table, who will notice? I like the valances too. A rug when you can will really give it punch. Maybe you just see that you need other color now that you have the great foundation.
    I love your room and you have done a great job- really.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Excellent suggestions above! :)

Yes -- I would get rid of the hutch -- and replace it with a white or black console table (maybe one with a shelf underneath) with two buffet lamps (for lighting options!)

Yes -- changing the hardware to black iron on the buffet will certainly help too!

Yes -- simply removing the valances on the windows will help too! And consider switching to a thicker black iron rod as well.

Yes -- remove the crystals on the chandelier -- and switch to black shades for the winter season.

ARTWORK! Yes indeed -- the room needs artworks! Check out art.com -- search for "Nicole Etienne" -- there may be ones there that might work for you!

Rug -- a simple sisal rug with a black border would look amazing! Remember -- in a room with neutral colors -- adding visual interest with texture is important! If you want baskets in there -- simply paint them black or white.

Hope this helps! :)

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock.com -- sisal rug

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

Lovely room.

-Lose the valences - they look too victorian.
    -Replace the shades on the chandelier with black ones.
    -Line the toile shades you made, as the light coming in during the day washes out the color.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Just for the heck of it, remove the curtain valences and get some black velvet ribbon, tie a piece around the middle two sections of curtains and one piece around each end curtain. I think it would be charming and I'd remove the two baskets on the wall, they blend in too much. The prints would look so much better, try and get black frames. The room is charming and unique and that's not easy to do. Keep up the good work!!!

• mjlb
    15 years ago

I agree with much of the above. Looking at the windows, I too would eliminate valances, and add low tie backs on each window. I'd either remove blinds or make sure they are rolled up high. Alternatively, you could hang your iron openwork panels in the windows instead of the blinds.

I too would remove beads from chandelier and try either black, or black and white toile shades.

A few things come to mind about why the room does not feel French country to you. The ratio of black to white may be too skewed to the white side. The paint finish on chairs seems to be high gloss, which is not very country. Same for mirrored back and glass shelves in the lovely china cabinet.

As possible fixes, you could paint chairs black, or strip them and stain them dark. Maybe ding them up to look more antique too. Could add decorative tie backs to the seat cushions as well. I agree with suggestion to move end chairs to corners of room if you don't need six chairs on a daily basis. For tabletop display, I'd try out your tall metal candle stands with the square wicker basket.

The china cabinet might feel more country if you placed fabric on the shelves, and let the fabric hang over the edge to hide the glass and make it appear to be a thicker shelf. Could use something like your valance or more black and white toile. Then style the inside with baskets and chunkier pieces -- nothing too delicate.

You could paint the hutch and hang it on the wall, or as you suggested, replace it with a console table.

Also thing the room's paint color could be stronger / darker to contrast with the white.

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I took most of the suggestions and played around.
    I removed the valances. I think Im going to get different curtains all together. I think its the bright white of the curtains thats throwing me off..
    I took the beads (except the tear drops) off the light.

I removed the metal wall hangings and replaced with prints. I moved two chairs and threw some pillows on them for color.
    I am considering lining the back of the china cab with a fabric or wall paper, maybe more toile.
    Excuse the pictures, I am horrible with a camera!
    {{!gwi}}From Dining room revised

From Dining room revised
    From Dining room revised
    From Dining room revised

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Wow - you're fast!

Could you try the chairs paired on two sides of table, so that the end facing china cabinet is left empty?

I wouldn't add significant color beyond the black, white and wall color -- it just dilutes the effect.

• salonv
    15 years ago

I think the curtains without the valances looks 100% improved. Amazing what a little bit of change can do for a room. Made a big difference for the better!

• susieq07
    15 years ago

What I see is the curtains are lovely, as is the chandy and breakfront, and are more formal, elegant looking whereas the table and chairs are very casual looking, more kitcheny looking (is that a word? LOL) you need to decide the look your're going for, then you will know what to do...

• msrose
    15 years ago

I love the toile fabric, but I don't think the style of your furniture goes with French County. If you need to work with what you have, I wonder if you could stain the table top in a darker color. I love the wall color and chandelier, but agree you need a different curtain. I think the room needs more black and less white. I can't remember whose picture this is, but something like this on the wall where the china cabinet is would be pretty.

Laurie

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laurie-I love that table and accessories! That is the look I want.
    I feel like I need to start over. Unfotunately, I cant buy new furniture and Im kicking myself for buying that china cabinet. ARGGH.

im going shopping for new curtains and wall hangings today.

i will post pics tomorrow.
    thanks everyone!

• msrose
    15 years ago

I don't know if these are the right color, because it says charcoal on the website, but it looks black to me.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I don't know if it's even possible, but if there were some way to cover your chairs, I love the way mldao's chairs turned out.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

If you keep the china cabinet, I think you either need a bigger picture to each side with a more ornate frame or a grouping of smaller pictures.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Curtains

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

Your room looks wonderful!

I'm a big proponent of using what you have and I think you're doing great.

The only things that bother me in your room are the country/prim accessories, like the berry garlands and pillows.
    They really don't work with look you're going for, imo.

If you like the little wood shelf/hutch, why not keep it in the room but paint it black?
    Maybe paint the table top black also, even though the wood top really doesn't bother me.

If you want to decorate for fall, natural arrangements are more in keeping with French Country.
    A big piece of pottery or even one of your platters filled with gourds would look great on your table.
    Or 2 big wheat sheafs with a bowl in between them.

I think you're well on your way to the look you want with just a little tweaking.
    Have fun and thanks for sharing!

• blanche65
    15 years ago

ItÂs such a lovely room. I love the black toile on the chairs and shades, also the white curtains. If it were my house I wouldnÂt change them, especially if the curtains were expensive. While the valances didnÂt look bad in my opinion, removing them seems to have been a good idea. Totally agree with the recommendations for a black iron rod and black frames on the wall.

You definitely need something larger and more vertical on your table. You can start with a large tray or bowl, then check around the house looking for items to fill the space. You can also have fun finding items that you own or shopping for colorful objects to go on the table (a colorful pitcher? bowl of green apples?) and in the cabinet. HomeGoods and similar stores usually have such a great selection, so it doesnÂt have to be a big expense. Maybe donÂt worry about the cabinet hardware until other things are in place, then get some help from a carpenter or a woodworking supply store. Also maybe try a runner for color before you invest in an expensive rug.

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

DD, I like what you've done w/the place! The window treatment tweaking you did looks darling to me...what do YOU think?

Wish you didn't feel the need to "kick" yourself for buying the china cabinet or anything else. Your room is very nice & I wonder if something else isn't going on here to provoke your angst.

Don't mean to therapize you or open a can of worms, but I wonder...has someone in your life criticized your decor? I wonder if a seed was planted by someone else that got you worrying about it so much. You've done a great job & you can see that many others here think so as well!

Don't just make over your DR, give your confidence a much-deserved boost too! Best wishes.

• nrayray
    15 years ago

You dining set is fine, even the breakfront. You could change the hardware to something not too modern looking. The biggest thing I could see is to change the drapery and maybe even just get plain blinds or shades. Even though your drapes are pretty, maybe you could put them in another room. It was a good idea to put the pictures on each side of the cabinet. I think the window treatment is the mose important thing and it will change the whole look.

• nrayray
    15 years ago

Also, take down those little baskets on each side of the window. maybe you could find to long pictures.

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

stinkey-well thank you for your kind words
    but nobody criticized it but me. I think doing the kitchen drove me batty and now I scrutinize everthing and cant seem to make a decision.

honestly, I dont like the curtains any better w/out the valance.. I just ordered new ones from JC Penney.

I do however like the way the gold frame looks next to the cabinet compared to the metal things. I looked around BB&beyond but they didn't really have anything for me. I think I want to get some decorative plates to hang next to windows
    When everything comes together I will post a new thread w/pics.

again, thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions and ideas..it really helped put things into perspective.

Just wait until I start the LR!

• msrose
    15 years ago

I'd love to see the curtains you ordered. Can you post a link?

Laurie

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

If you have more of the fabric, you might think about lining the back of the china cabinet with it, rather than the mirrors, which might be French, but more Louis than country.

I'd take down the garlands and such. French country is more rustic, and you need rougher textures. Right now, it's more like a princess room. Maybe you actually want more Paris Apartment than country style? Nothing wrong with frou-frou.

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dont have any more fabric but I can get more, I did think about lining the mirrored back.

i can provide the link for the curtains. if these dont work i can return them, no biggie. i have to find a rod for them, either gold or black.

let me know what you think

Here is a link that might be useful: new curtains

• bama12
    15 years ago

PRETTY..! I would use a black rod!!!

• msrose
    15 years ago

I've seen those curtain before and like them alot. I just don't think French Country when I see them. I'd definitely go with the black rod.

Laurie

• mjlb
    15 years ago

I think ideefixe nailed it: "Maybe you actually want more Paris Apartment than country style?"

Perhaps if you start thinking of it as Paris apartment style, you'll be more satisfied yourself. Certainly a lot of posters here really like the room a lot, despite the elements that are not French country.

• User
    15 years ago

I think those new curtains will look fantastic in there.
    What a great find!

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

humm. I guess paris apartment style is less rustic. I dont know, I like a lot of styles, mostly geared toward traditional I would say.
    I think Im going to stop trying to define what style Im decorating in and just buy what catches my eye and take it from there.
    I may go to some antique stores tomorrow and see what they have.
    I used to have fun with decorating,I really think the kitchen burnt me out..and it still needs a backsplash!

• msrose
    15 years ago

dd70 - I think that sounds like a great idea!

Laurie

• nanjean68
    15 years ago

I like your hutch! How about some black and white photos placed on either side of the windows? Maybe lose anything with red. How about a chair rail and later on some crown moldings around the ceiling?

• jjam
    15 years ago

I've been following this thread with interest and think the improvements so far are great, and those curtains are going to be wonderful. I keep going back to the wall color, though. It reads cool to me and I think you need a warmer tone on the walls. Doesn't have to be dark, just warm; something with a more olive undertone; maybe EK edgewood green? I think you will LOVE your china cabinet when it has a warmer wall to cozy it up.

• gayle0000
    15 years ago

I didn't read all the responses yet, but I think you definitely need some color in there.

I also think the lace curtains and bead embellishments on the light fixture lean more toward a romantic shabby chic feel than french country.

Love your table & chairs! I would get rid of the decor on the table and replace with something more substantial & not beady & shiny.

My interpretation of French Country includes things that have more reds, mustards, and such. Earthy hues.

Also, incorporating concepts (in moderation) that scream French Country:
    roosters

natural materials (not shiny or pre-fab looking)

pottery...which I see you have in your cabinet. Not sure how they come across in real life, but in the photo they kind of blend & get lost because everything appears light.

ivy (real plants...not fake)

wicker in more natural tones (like baskets in the hutch, or the base for a huge pot of ivy on the table) You could even get wicker baskets that are maybe black. I just think there's too much lightness for the FC look with white or light wicker.

Window treatments in linens, burlaps, ticking, cottons, or other more natural fabrics without accessories (ie ruffles, swags, etc.) The rod and the presence of the treatment are enough.

The accessories you add after you get FC basics in place can only enhance and personalize your space.

Those are my thoughts.

• chris8796
    15 years ago

I think it would be helpful if you had some pictures of the style you like, maybe another room in the house you are happy with. I just don't see much in this room that says French Country. I would agree with the other person who mentioned Paris apartment style. Its just hard to make suggestions when we don't know the goal. Its also hard to judge based on your recent purchases. The drapery and chandalier are very ornate with that princess feel. While the china cabinet is a hint of FC combined with a modern sharpness of glass and mirrors. The baskets are very country.

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jjam-i agree, and I normally am a warm toned person when it comes to color and I was going to paint it a warm red. At last minute I changed my mind to this soft green with visions of black and white toile and black/white accents.

I think the color of the cabinet and the style of the curtains blew that look, that is where it went wrong. I kind of knew that in the back of my mind but needed objective opinions to confirm it. we bought this home 1.5 years ago and it needed a lot of work! my last home did not have a DR and I think Im just obsessing to get this room perfect because I so wanted this room.

So Im nixing the black/white. Here is my new plan:

new curtains
    get rid of the fall decor
    new prints for wall with distressed gold frames
    decorative plates on the wall
    new centerpiece for table
    add some color inside the china cab.
    if I can, put fabric in back wall of cab.
    get an antiqued looking white painted console table to replace where hutch was.
    Eventually, spray harwared black or figure out a way to replace all together.

whew...sounds like alot but I think its all pretty easy stuff.

Ideefix-I think you may be right about the style..you really opened my eyes to that, just look at my chandelier. That should have been a clue to myself! It feminine and drapey, not at all rustic. Thank you.

I cant wait to post pics of the finished product.

• sarahnc
    15 years ago

I feel like nothing is grounding the room. I agree that you should replace the small bookcase with a buffet but would pick a black/dark wood or perhaps a bold color (you need some color)

• msrose
    15 years ago

Just wondering if you got your new curtains up yet?

Laurie

• bama12
    15 years ago

Sounds like it will be beautiful! Any new photos yet??

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohh, glad you asked..the curtains arrived today and I hung them but I need to get a pole and clips, they dont look right on the regular rods. I love the curtains though, as soon as I get the new rods I will take pics.

I took the buffet that the hutch goes on and put it where I had the hutch. I like the hutch there but I dont think it works with the curtains! LOL
    The hutch is 40-50 years old, I dont know if I should paint the bottom black and leave the top maple or just leave it alone.
    I bought a few small pieces and two prints at an antique store, I got rid of the metal hangings and replaced with the prints..its getting there but I have a way to go.

I bought chairs off of craigs list that I am going to paint and refabric ..I will use 4 of each around the table. If it doesnt work they were pretty cheap so im not too concerned.

Here is a new question, should i paint the chairs white or black? should i use the same toile fabric to cover the seats?

thanks

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I agree that you need to settle on the look you love. It reads more shabby chic to me than FC. But that is not bad. SC is another pretty look. Think Rachel Ashwell! However, this pic is as FC as it gets! It is Pierre Deux. Look carefully at all the elements. It is a mixture of cream, silver, black and the toile is in brown. Any thoughts on painting the buffet and hutch black? It would be stunning with your cream accessories and some silver mixed in.

The toile in the ad:
    {{!gwi}}

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kmcg-I LOVE that Pierre Deux pic..wow. I have been on their website before, very pricey for me.

Are you talking about the cream colored china cabinet? I would paint it black but there are a few problems..
    A. Its brand new and DH would kill me
    B. Im not the worlds best painter, admittedly, and if I messed it up DH would kill me
    C. I cant ask DH to do it, he has sooo many projects going in this house that take priority

But, I do have the small buffet as I mentioned above that is old/maple but it very good condition. I was pondering painting the bottom black and leaving the top maple.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I understand about the china cab. I wouldn't want to paint something that is new either! That small hutch in the DR that is sitting on the floor...does it have a companion bottom piece? It reminds me a bit of the Pierre Deux piece. You can mimick that look by painting it black EXCEPT for the inside brown wood plank back, like in the PD pic above. Maybe you can use it in another room filled with some of those cream pieces? Do you have a pic of the maple buffet you are referring to?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Would consider painting your walls a soft creamy bisque color? Valspar Malted Milk is what I have in mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Malted Milk

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here it is without the hutch,this is not permanent or tweaked, just playing around with it. I wont use the hutch I think it would be too much with the other cabinet. What about painting the bottom only black and leaving the table top natural?

From Dining room revised

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Love it! Looks like a well made piece. I would keep the hardware too. After seeing the PD hutch above, I can't help but see it all painted black except for the inside back of the hutch. I would find a spot for it in another room because , yes, it would be too much in the DR. A MBR perhaps or FR? If you absolutely don't want to use the hutch, You can always paint as you described, see how you like it and if not, then the top can always be painted later. Since you already have the hutch, use it. It does not belong on the floor.

• dd70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found that piece on CL for $90, it is made by Sprague and Carlton. From the research I did it was made between 1954-1967, pretty cool I thought.

When my LR is done I can use it in there but for now I will keep it in DR.

As far as painting the room, yes, I like the color you picked and I think I do need a warmer color. It will be a while before I can do it, I need to live with the color it is for now.

I have really changed things up since the last pics..I may post them in a new thread.
    thanks for your help!

• User
    15 years ago

I haven't read all the replies, so please forgive if I am treading over old ground.

IMO, your room has no unifying principle---either in color, style, or type. Each element is wonderful individually, but together they are less than the sum of their parts because they just don't seem to meld well.

I would either paint the chairs or the china cabinet black. I would buy a crisp white hotel tablecloth for the table, as the maple top just doesn't seem to do what you are wanting in that room. I would also replace the smaller artwork and use a few big pieces only. A few BIG accessories are better than many small ones.

Good luck, you have a nice start.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'm so glad that you will be painting the chairs. To me, they were the biggest thing that was throwing everything off. Not the chairs, per se, but the bright white.

Don't worry about the china cabinet as it is an off white/cream. When you can address the hardware and maybe line it with fabric as ideefixe suggested, it will look fine.

I love kswl's idea of a tablecloth. It wouldn't even have to be white if you didn't like. French country is all about mixing fabrics, too. Then one big French ceramic bowl or something else on top.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

I like the buffet and think its old wood is pretty. Adds age, which is needed in this room, IMO. The finish does not match the bright, new "maple" on the dining table, which does not go in this pretty room anyway. The table top gives it a very casual, and modern, in-the-kitchen feel. I'd sand that table and paint it to match the cabinet, using satin, not glossy. A roller is easier and won't show brush marks.
    Keep that old buffet, put a dark grounded(toile, perhaps)runner on top and an old silver tea set,a lamp, etc.
    Look at the recent post by reno-fan re. her new bathroom. You could use the door idea: remove bottom doors and replace with fabric and chicken wire. You have gotten lots of wonderful ideas, along with inspiration pics..Am sure you will end up loving it! Question : can that hutch top be hung on a wall?

• chris8796
    15 years ago

I'm so glad that you will be painting the chairs. To me, they were the biggest thing that was throwing everything off. Not the chairs, per se, but the bright white.

I agree on the bright white, but I think the backs of the chairs have such a unique style its difficult to overcome and provide that old world feel. I wondered if covering the chairs with fabric would help.