SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

High ceilings, how do you...

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

I'm having a bit of remorse now in regards to my kitchen remodel. I wished I would have raised the ceiling back up to where the original schoolhouse ceiling was/is, like I did in the library and bedroom. My kitchen and adjoining pantry are small but each still have an original schoolhouse windows, however my Uncle dropped the new ceilings so that only the bottom portions show. In other words, the top portions of the windows are above the ceilings. After seeing so many great kitchens here with the tall windows, I'm having regrets. My question though is, how hard would it be to keep the rooms warm with the high ceilings? How do those of you who have the high ceilings and open floor plans heat your home and does it really stay warm in winter?

My library and bedroom do stay cooler than the other parts of the house where the ceilings had been lowered, and I tend to keep their doors shut on really cold days (except the bedroom at night). My next remodel job will be the livingroom. Should I go with my heart and raise the ceiling and again have another tall window exposed? or keep them lowered and stay warm, and save on heating costs?

Comments (10)