SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

How high do you put the backsplash under this type of cabinet?

Fori
5 years ago

Abbreviated: Do I have to tile all the way up under the cabinets (and what do I do with the gap) or can I stop tiling short where my pattern ends neatly, with full tiling of the space over the range?

Maybe my cabinets are weird. They are built so that the frames are extra long to serve as an integrated light rail. I never questioned it and for slab-fronted cabinets it is appropriately simple. But I'm trying to plan a tile layout and I'm not sure how to treat this. (It's in the upper right in the first dark image and you can get a better idea of how it's positioned in the second.)

The badly placed and poorly functioning UC lights will be replaced and relocated towards the front. The tile taped to the wall is a proposed layout consistent with other tile in the house: a 2x8" stripe framing diagonal 4x4s. (The tile will be different. I just had these around.) The pattern ends neatly if I end the tile here and nothing is visible above it from standard adult viewing angles anyway. The cabinets are 18" deep so a little less backsplash shows for people of normal height.

But anyway, do I tile around that piece of cabinet that hangs down? Do I just tile up to it and have two inches of bare wall visible only to children? Fill in the gap with cabinet wood? Stop tiling at the stripe piece? And if I tile above my stripe, do I do more diagonal or just use horizontally placed 4x4s since they'll be almost invisible anyway? There are two sections bounded by these cabinet box edges, about 5 and 6 feet long, with the range area in between. I'd tile the entire area over the range regardless.

No, it's not very clean.

Comments (9)