SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayakluv

painting steel front door

kayakluv
14 years ago

My primed steel front door was installed late fall and wasn't painted for a couple years. Then I slapped a coat of white on it, not removing the brass hardware (because I didn't know how to!). another year and small dots of rust started showing at the bottom edge. also, the magnetic hook for the door decoration pulled off the paint, leaving rough edges.

I finally saved enough $$ to hire a professional to get it done properly. (the new color is DARK green)

I expected they would remove the hardware since it was never painted underneath. when the first coat was done and I saw the hardware wasn't removed, I called the owner and he told me they 'don't usually' remove it but paint around the hardware and asked me if the painter got any paint on the hardware.

also, the area of pulled paint where the magnet was doesn't look like it was sanded; still bumpy. which makes me wonder if the door was sanded at ALL, especially the dots of rust at the bottom. Is it normal procedure to sand the surface first?(I was at work when it was done.)

there isn't any paint on the handle, but i wanted it to look crisp and fresh and it doesn't. at one corner of the lockset you can see the smallest bit of white and there is a very thin line of white showing at the bottom of the door adjacent to the rubber thing under the door. also, in two places the 2nd coat looks thin.....kind of a brush stroke mark.

And they didn't leave me the can of leftover paint.

when I chose the color, the owner said it's a popular color and they 'keep it on the shelf' so it is definitely available. does that mean he used an open can from another job so had nothing to leave me?

At the least, I think the door's going to need another coat of paint to correct the 'thin' spots and the white line.

any feedback is appreciated from the true painting pros out there! many thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County