SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryann_m

Molding, trim, doors - How far should we go?

maryann_m
12 years ago

I have a question about consistency of molding, trim, and doors throughout a house. We currently have a variety of baseboard molding colors: white painted in some rooms, medium stained wood in others. Most of our windows have white frames--and those have matching white painted trim and windowsills. But a few of our windows and three sliding glass doors have medium stained wood frames, trim and windowsills. Some of our interior doors are medium stained, some are dark stained, and some are painted. Molding around doors and entryways varies, too.

We'd like to upgrade the quality of doors in our home, and also upgrade the molding. But I'm unsure what color/type to go with... medium stained or white painted. I think I'd prefer the medium stain and that it would tie in with our kitchen cabinets and decor the best.

But would a white vinyl window frame look odd with medium stained wood molding and windowsill? Likewise, would a window frame or sliding glass door that is medium stained wood look odd with white painted trim? Or, could the window trim and windowsill in some cases be different from the baseboard molding and doors in a room?

I expect that the answer is that consistency would be best, but I'm not changing out any windows or sliding glass doors. So, what to do?

Comments (3)