SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_156171076

how far should my kitchen cabinets go?

M F
3 years ago

We are preparing to renovate our kitchen and the goal is to make it feel big and open and airy, with lots of storage. I have attached the current floor plan. We are hoping to take out the peninsula and add an island. The current design is 13’ on the back wall. We are currently deciding whether the cabinets should go 18’ (approximately across from the beginning of the sliding doors), 21’ (midway) or 25’ (across from the far end of the sliding door. The distance from the sliding door wall to the wall with the cabinets is approximately 11’. And the whole room is about 28’. The end of the room is the breakfast area, and will continue to have a kitchen table.

I’m concerned if we go 25’ it will have a weird dead space at the end before the windows and will make the breakfast area feel tight.
I’ve also attached one of the configurations of cabinets we are considering.. ignore the colors and the islands

Appreciate any thoughts on how long the kitchen cabinets should go? Also- would you prioritize more pantry or countertop space?

Thank you so much!! Really appreciate your advice!!

Comments (24)