SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

More new food plants for back yard

Lars
11 years ago

Yesterday we went back to the San Gabriel Nursery because Bernard wanted to see it, and I ended up buying a Yuzu tree and a pineapple plant. The Yuzu is an extremely hardy (to zone 7) citrus tree, AKA Japanese Citron, and I already have recipes that call for it. It has a very unique although still citrusy flavor and is used in making Ponzu sauce, which I love. I should get a pineapple from the pineapple plant next year. They had a bunch of plants that already had flowers (which are gorgeous), but they cost more than three times what the pre-flowering cost, and I want to be able to watch the flower from the beginning. I'm a little concerned because San Gabriel is a different climate zone, even though it is only 32 miles from my house. It has much hotter summers, but it gets slightly cooler in the winter. They also had mamey trees, but since I already have a white sapote, I do not need another one of those, and they are too temperamental anyway.

I'll post pictures of the plants once they are in place. Bernard will be leaving Thursday morning, and so everything will be in place before then. I noticed that some of the plants I have in my yards would be quite expensive to replace at the size that they are now.

SGN also had Buddha's Hand, but I don't know what to do with it. I like putting Yuzu sauce in Japanese soups. The man at the nursery made a weird face when he saw that I was buying Yuzu, but I do not intend to eat the fruit without putting it in a recipe - he said they are very sour - much more than lemon, but then I use lemons all the time. Yuzu trees should be easy to find since they are hardy to frost, but I have not seen them in other nurseries.

Lars

Comments (13)