SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christineny_gw

Help..I do not like Fish!

christineny
15 years ago

I have never liked fish/seafood. However, my DH and DS love it. I have agreed to "try" a fish dish once a week. I don't even know where to start. Can you recommend a tasty fish dish (that's not too fishy) to try.

Thanks!

Comments (75)

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Christine, I really wish you a lot of luck learning to eat fish. It would be easier if you didn't have to cook it first.

I find fish and seafood just as revolting as PKguy does, even the mildest fish. That said, I wish I liked it and I try to eat it again every so often, just haven't been able to.

Many years ago (over 30)I actually liked cod, flounder, wide mouth bass and catfish so I think those must be pretty mild. They all might be something you could start with. I was never able to eat seafood other than fish because I can't stand the texture as well as the taste.

Beverly

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

Lpinkmountain, in our area, the Elas Fish Market at 1st and Tilghman has beautiful fresh fish. Their small whole NJ striped bass are particularly good.

I love fish and we eat if often. I am more partial to baking it than frying.

For mild fish fillets like flounder or red snapper, I dip them in milk, then dip the 'bumpy' side only into dry bread crumbs or panko. Put in a greased pan and sprinkle with s & p, paprika and a little Old Bay seasoning. Then dot with slivers of butter, as in the pic.

The other fillets are drizzled with fresh orange juice, Old Bay and olive oil.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or longer, until the fish flkes easily when prodded with a fork.

• Related Discussions

1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish... from COCONUTS!

Q

Comments (8)
    laura - on the ones I saw, it was palm leaves cut to shape. I would expect them being all recycled yard stuff! The palm leaves have a hard brown section near the trunk - I was going to try cutting some of that to shape. I didn't end up buying one, just too much & it's pretty basic. The ones I saw were neon or bright spray paints w/ squiggles of glitter paint even. I thought this was an excellent way to use up the little tubes of leftovers I have everywhere. Sadly, I'm flying back to NY tonight, but I'll work on them there. That's where all my supplies are anyway, just need to find coconuts! lol Anyone know if Michaels or AC Moore or any craft store carry coconut shells? I'd like to toy with some until I get back in 3-4 weeks. Maybe I should pack some in my suitcase since their FREE here... I'm sure airport security would love that! lol
    ...See More

Fish for new tank - adding fish - Beta and other fish

Q

Comments (2)
    I have had bad luck with mollies being fin nippers. Neon tetras and cories will survive better in a seasoned tank. The betta and guppies would be the easiest for a new tank. I wonder why bettas and guppies would be bad together? Maybe the betta would see the fantails as one of their own and try to fight with the guppies.
    ...See More

How to make fish not taste like fish

Q

Comments (36)
    " Love those tiny little crunchy fishies, dipped in cocktail sauce and eaten bones, tail and all. " Me too, Annie! ! ! ! And I had some this year for the first time in ages! It's not anything that is known in these parts, But a large store about 50 miles from here had some. I bought about 5 lbs, and really "pigged out" (for lack of a better term) that night. I have the rest in meal sized packages in the freezer. I use them as a 'reward' for myself when I accomplish something I've been dreading doing! "I don't get it. Fish is fish. I WANT it to taste like fish. I don't want it to taste like beef, chicken, or anything else. " I agree with that 100%, too. I like to 'eat healthy', and I try to most of the time. But I am not willing to torture myself with food I don't like. If I were intent on giving up red meats, I would try to find something that I enjoyed To replace it with. As many have mentioned above, There are a number of very mild tasting fish. Preparing/serving them with a highly seasoned sauce might do the job for you. Good luck in your quest. Rusty
    ...See More

Help! I don't think I like my new recessed lights! What to do?

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm glad to hear that the LED lights are working for you. It sounds like you have a much bigger space than we do, with only 2 more lights. I think this was perhaps our biggest mistake -- just too many of these lights. (As I mentioned, I was worried that LEDs wouldn't put out enough light). Maybe if we had only installed 4 of them, the amount of light would be ok. To reduce the number to 4 at this point would require completely re-placing the lights and rewiring. I wonder also if the increased number of lights in our smaller space is amplifying the effect of the flickering? i.e. maybe it wouldn't be noticeable if the lights were further apart? The housing and dimmer switch we have are both on the compatible list on the Cree website. All 7 of the lights are connected to the same dimmer switch. So I'm not sure what the problem is. When they are on at full power, they don't buzz or flicker. We had friends over yesterday and at full power they thought the lights looked great. (It wasn't too bright for them). Then I dimmed them and they didn't think the buzzing was too bad. They also didn't really notice much flickering. But then I started waving my arms around and they were shocked. The strobe effect when the lights were dimmed made my kitchen seem like a disco! Cbjmidwood, when you dim your lights and wave your arms around, is there any strobing?
    ...See More
  • User
    15 years ago

Whole Foods has excellent fish. My preference is to select any of the "wild caught" fishes.

I can vouch for the Halibut recipe Ann posted and the Salmon Cakes posted by Linda (Doucanoe) both are excellent.

Here is a very simple mild dish dish that we really enjoy. You can also bread sole and fry in olive oil until crisp, takes very little time. Serve with lemon wedges.

Sole Meuniere

1 lemon
    4 fillets of Dover Sole , 6 to 7 ounces each
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    lour for dredging
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped

1. Cut the lemon into quarters lengthwise. Then slice each quarter wedge crosswise into paper-thin slices. Remove any seeds and set aside.

2. Season the fillets with salt and pepper and dredge them thoroughly in flour. The cookbook suggests putting the flour in a paper bag, adding a fish filet and shaking it. Kind of like the Shake N Bake idea for those of you old enough to remember. Shake off any excess flour.

3. Heat 4 tablespoons of butter and oil in a large saute pan (fry pan, skillet) over medium high heat. When the butter stops foaming, add the fillets. Cook, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Should take about 5 minutes.

4. Lower the heat and swirl in the remaining tablespoon of butter and the lemon slices. Sprinkle with parsley and season lightly with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the fillets and server immediately.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

LOL ruthanna, that's where the clams came from that made me sick! But I had them at a friend's house, so I think the problem was on their end, maybe they had them sitting out or something. Anyway, your are correct, one can get fresh fish here, but not at a price I can afford, which is what I guess I meant. We are so lucky food-wise in the Lehigh Valley with all the good fresh things we can get--bread, fruit and veggies, baked goods, meats, wine. I cannot afford much of it though. Fresh veggies in season, but I have to make my own bread and baked goods, and stick to mostly beans for protein.

This thread is making me so hungry!! Canned salmon and tuna is all I can manage right now. I pig out on fish when my folks offer to take me out to dinner! And in the summer when I am in MI and can get it right off the boats!! I am drooling at all the great pics. If anyone can offer up good fish, it's this forum!!

• susie_que
    15 years ago

When you go to whole foods just ask the monger for the freshest mild white fish, let him/her know about your fears/ phobias/concerns and he/she will guide you thru the steps. My whole foods will pack your purchase in ice for the trip home. I only buy fresh fish on the day I plan to cook it.

If you choose to bread your fish then I suggest panko as well...its light and crunchy when fried in a little canola oil. Just be sure to season the panko.
    For a fun texture I will bread my fish in potato chips...yes potato chips-just run a rollin pin over the bag-try it its really tasty. I am told you can do the same with pretzels too although I have never tried it.

Just some advice...the fillets may be a little long for a normal spatula/turner. No worries it the fish breaks while flipping. Most times I just cut my fillets in half anyway for portioning.

Cheers!
    Susie

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I think your best bet is to go out to a good restaurant, try a seafood dish and then try to do it at home. If you don't know what it's "supposed" to taste like, how can you possibly cook it correctly? If your husband's that wild about fish, let him cook it with you.

Whole Foods is a good, if pricey, place, and they should have some recipes available. I like halibut, but I just broil it.

I grew up thinking fish was that cod in a wooden box, and didn't eat it for years.

• christineny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok...I kindof "chickened out". I went to Whole Foods and purchased lamb instead - lol. I heard that there is a very good fish store a few towns over. I think I will go on Friday. It will be easier for me to remember that Friday is fish night. My Grandparents always ate fish on Fridays. I will see what is fresh but I am leaning toward halibut.

Thanks again for all your posts and responses.

• User
    15 years ago

Christine, I grew up with a Nana and Grandad that owned fish and chip shops...they made all their money on Friday's! LOL

Oh, and by the way, the only fish my Grandad would cook was Halibut. Still my favourite fish.....try Lori's recipe , as po0sted by Ann T, it really is delicious.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Christine, I've grown up just inland from Lake Michigan and so am spoiled by our fresh Michigan fish, but I love nearly any seafood, including calamari which is not like chewing rubber bands unless it's overcooked, LOL.

I'd agree with the assessment that halibut is a good fish to try. It's mild, meaty, lends itself to many ways of cooking and is much less "fishy" than many others.

I happen to like salmon but I think it does have a more distinct flavor and many people don't like it. The only way I enjoy trout is smoked, it's just too strong. Farm raised catfish is often "muddy" and I avoid that completely.

Two of my favorites are lake perch and walleye, but I also love scallops, shrimp, crab, lobster, most fish. I'm not all that excited over shark or mahi-mahi and red snapper is so expensive here that I can't justify it when I can go out and get local fish at 1/10th the price and it's fresher.

Heck, I even like canned tuna and canned salmon, sardines and that deep fried smelt that you get at every bar in Michigan! I had a salad for lunch that contained a can of tuna, some white beans, celery and onion, fresh basil and a dressing of olive oil and that strawberry balsamic Sherry gave me. It was very, very good.

Any way, don't pass up what might become one of your favorite foods. Try the halibut and if you don't like it it's not a tragedy. Try again in 7 years, LOL, Renee's "7 year rule". I eat olives every year at Christmas and every year I remember that I still don't like them. (grin)
    I still try 'em, though, just to be sure I'm not missing out on something wonderful.

Annie

• User
    15 years ago

I told a great big fat lie!!! I had my head around halibut because I do like it and Christine mentioned it as something she wanted to try....

BUT.....

hands down, no question, without a doubt, simple pan fried lake perch is my very favourite fish, second is Pickerel (Walleye) , then Halibut! LOL

Annie thanks for giving me a virtual slap upside the head! LOL

• jimster
    15 years ago

Christine,

Ruthanna's suggestion is a very good one for getting started. It's convenient, foolproof and good. It is a method that can be used with most kinds of fish fillets. Cooking time will depend on thickness of the fillets, so keep an eye on them and don't overcook. Sole fillets for example, are thin and will be done more quickly than most other fish.

A little twist I developed on that method is to melt butter in the baking dish as I preheat it. Then drag the fillets though the the melted butter, coating both sides. Add the toppings and bake. (This may not work with all toppings.)

I have some other suggestions, but I will hold them for week 2, week 3, and so on. You are committed to this for the long term, aren't you? :-)

Jim

• christineny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim - I am hoping to commit for the long term. However, I need to be able to eat a piece of fish without gagging. I will definately keep you all posted once I try it on Friday.

I did try something new today. I purchased lemon flavored cod liver oil and put one tsp. in a glass of water and drank it! I wasn't sure I was going to be able to drink it and I tried really hard to imagine that there was only lemon added to my water. It worked!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

I apologize as I have just kind of "cruised" through this thread but gosh I love all kinds of fish and seafood. I truly believe one of the main keys is getting "fresh" fish and not something old and stinky. I was born and raised on seafood and we eat it two or three times a week.

My husband's family has a cabin in Minn. and they catch some real good fish there and bring home but we have good fish to catch in VA also.

Try starting out with a mild fish such as flounder. You stated above it's a texture thing and most people that I know that dislike seafood say exactly that. My SIL is one of them. When she married my brother, we told her she would just have to learn because it would be unheard of for someone in my family not to eat seafood!:)LOL! She now eats crab meat, salmon, flounder, trout, perch and has tried some oysters but only fried. I have to admit that I will only eat oysters fried otherwise the texture is a bit too much for me. But anything else - I'm all for it.

When at Wegman's just ask for a taste of anything at their seafood counter that is already cooked. They will give it to you GLADLY! That would be a way for you to get a taste without wasting money. They have tons of seafood dishes that are already prepared and that might be a good way for you to start.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

OR Whole Foods (sorry, just saw that you bought the lamb there).

• Bizzo
    15 years ago

I didn't used to like fish~ In fact I used to Really Not Like Fish....

But then I tried grouper. And I liked it! (Hey, Mikey!!) For a long time the only other fish I would eat was Chilean Sea Bass - until I found out that not only is it overfished, but fished before spawning age. So I don't eat it any more.

Searching for something else, I found Salmon hit or miss. I hate canned tuna.
    Then I tried Flounder - I cooked it using directions I found here, from Joe (Gardenguru's) I think. -- lightly floured salt and pepper and pan-fried in butter or oil quickly.

I've had beer battered walleye - fresh from MI lakes, and liked it. My DH prefers Cod - I like flounder because it is sweeter. Lake perch was ok, but not my favorite. Same for Tuna steak - but not fishy at all, really.

DH takes salmon, puts it on foil, adds a marinade, and throws it on the grill for 30-40 minutes. Usually turns out to be something I can eat!

• lindac
    15 years ago

Why in heaven's name are you drinking cod liver oil??

I will try to reinforce what others have said....do NOT over cook the fish....overcooked fish is likes awdust....it just won't go down.
    Cook it just until it flakes...if the flesh is opaque, it's done.
    And frankly...I think something like a lovely creamy fish and shrimp sauce over an angel hair pasta would be a great place to start....or linguini with a garlick-ey white clam sauce, or my blue cheese shrimp fetuccini.
    Linda c

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

cod liver oil is good for..you always has been and still is LindaC..

I'm going to try that Parm Crusted Halibut when I can get some inseason... I just won't tell them what it is!!!

• proudmamato4
    15 years ago

I like fish, but mostly the meatier bottom feeders, or so-called trash fish like Amberjack and Grouper. Not the biggest fan of trout, spot, etc. but I'll certainly eat it. Never have had a shellfish that I didn't adore, and I love Calamari. But not octopus, they are too chewy and too intelligent to eat.

Regarding worms, I've found half a worm in broccoli too many times to want to remember, LOL! But never in my fish.

Good luck, Christine, you are embarking on a culinary adventure!

Nancy

• christineny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda - Cod Liver Oil is really good for you and especially good for someone like me who doesn't eat fish. It is very high in Omega 3, something most Americans lack. I am trying to balance my Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio. You can google and learn a lot about this.

I found a worm on my broccoli recently. I gave it a quick boil and two green worms rose to the surface. I then checked each piece thoroughly. However, my kids and husband refused to eat it.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and for sharing your recipes with me. It gives me a place to start. It's so hard opening up a cookbook and picking a recipe when you have never made fish before.

• proudmamato4
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention. Your post title keeps making me recite "I do not like green eggs and ham!" LOL!

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Lots of good advice here to get you started with your adventure trying fish. Another really mild one is Orange Roughy, to me anyway. I like it pan fried, grilled, baked with a little butter and lemon or blackened.

David

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll share my experience about fish with you. I grew up in the Midwest, in a meat and potatoes family. The only fish I ever encountered were blocks of frozen lake perch. My father would fry them sometimes. My mother would always put a dish of wadded up balls of Wonder Bread on the table, almost like a condiment, to be used as a "chaser" in case anyone got a fish bone stuck in their throat. Needless to say, it was always an anxiety-laden meal although none of us ever choked on anything but our imaginations.

After leaving home from high school, I did not encounter seafood (with the exception of shrimp) until I was out of college and married to a man from New England. Fish and shellfish are dietary staples here. It took me years and years to summon courage and develop confidence to buy it, cook it and eat it. When he catches fish (usually flounder, striped bass and bluefish), I still require my husband to gut and filet the fish outside and bring it to me as if it came from the market lol! I can finally get enthusiastic about lobsters, clams, oysters, scallops and squid. I can handle those in my kitchen and clean them in my sink lol.

You have to start somewhere and keep at it. I've been at it now for 30 years. A good, basic cookbook will help. Some of the seafood that people have mentioned in this thread might not be available in your area. To begin with, learn what the freshest fish is available in your area (for example, I cannot buy grouper or red snapper in New England and I would not choose tilapia over cod since cod swims right outside my door).

So freshness is the first rule in buying seafood, and a failproof cooking technique/recipe is the second. Buy from a fish market instead of a grocery store, if possible. If you have a fish market in your area, people who sell fish can give you great tips for cooking it.

Before investing money in cookbooks, maybe you can go to your library. Check out some cookbooks devoted to seafood - pictures help! I will recommend one that has easy, tasty recipes that never fail. It's not a reference book on fish, but a recipe book that might help you. It's from Food & Wine magazine and is called "Quick From Scratch Fish & Shellfish" published in 1997. Maybe your library can get it for you. Every recipe has a photo, which gives you a frame of reference and a "yum" factor.

I'm sure others will have recommendations for you about cookbooks, too.

Good luck!

seagrass

• JoanM
    15 years ago

Wow, I think Christine is my soul sister. I want to learn to like seafood but I have trouble just thinking about it. I tasted lobster once, caught fresh of our own boat. It didn't do anything for me. I tasted a fully cooked tuna steak at a restaurant once at my brothers urging. I have to admit that it reminded me of beef and wasn't fishy at all. I still haven't had the guts to order it myself or buy a piece to cook.

I want to learn to like some fish just because my sweetie always orders seafood when we go out because I never make it for him. I felt a little guilty when he said that. I think Linda might have a good idea, try a pasta and fish dish so then if I can't get the fish down I can just eat the pasta.

Christine, be sure to post about how you make out. You might inspire me to actually buy a piece of fish.

• jimster
    15 years ago

The term "fishy" is unfortunate. I know it will never go away, but it is unfortunate. What it really means is the smell of spoiled fish. But it somehow taints the idea of fish in general. Good fish, the only kind we want to eat, is not "fishy", because it is fresh. Beef and some other foods benefit from aging, but fish never does. For those who have a negative opinion of fish because of that stereotype it may require a paradigm change (Yikes! Did I say that?) for them to truly enjoy fish, not to just "get it down".

Jim

• annie1992
    15 years ago

You want recipes? OK, here's one from the PBS chef Eric Villegas, who believes it is his duty to let everyone know that Michigan is only slightly south of heaven itself, LOL. I tasted this fish at his latest demonstration, though, and it was very, very good. I think halibut would make an acceptable substitute, possibly salmon would be OK. Probably any firm fleshed and mildly flavored fish would be good this way.

Planked Great Lakes Whitefish with a Potato Chip and Parmesan Crust (Show#213N)

Ingredients:

for the planks
    3 cups water, hot
    2 medium hardwood cooking planks or shingles, preferably from Michigan
    2 tablespoons soy bean oil, preferably from Michigan
    for the crust
    1 cup potato chips, preferably from Michigan, crushed
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/2 cup wisantigo parmesan, grated or similar
    1 whole green onion, chopped fine
    1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
    1/8 teaspoon aji amarillo chile powder
    3 tablespoons unsalted "sweet" butter, melted
    2 whole whitefish fillets, trimmed and pinboned, preferably from Michigan

Directions:

For the planks Â

Dissolve the salt in the hot water and in an appropriate sized container and cover the planks with the hot salt water mixture. If you need more water simply increase the ratios of salt to water and cover. Place a heavy jar or similar to weigh down the plank to keep it submerged. Let the plank soak for at least 3 hours or overnight. When ready to cook remove the plank and discard the water. Blot the plank dry and with a paper towel rub the surface of the plank thoroughly with the soybean oil.

For the Potato Chip Crust

In a medium sized mixing bowl blend the potato chips, parmesan, green onion, paprika and chile powder with 2 of the three tablespoons of the melted butter. Divide crumb mixture evenly over the flesh side each whitefish fillet, pressing gently into the fish and reserve in the refrigerator until ready to cook.

Preheat your oven or outdoor grill to 400 degrees.

Place the soaked planks oiled side up in the center of the oven or grill (if using a grill place the plank on indirect heat to prevent fire) and heat or "cure" the plank for 15-20 minutes (10-15 if using a shingle) or until the plank is hot and fragrant.

Carefully remove the hot planks from the oven and center the crusted whitefish fillet stuffing side up skin side down on the hot plank. Drizzle the remaining butter over each fillet and return the planks to the oven or grill and roast about 15-20 minutes or until the whitefish fillet is just cooked through but still juicy and the and the potato chip crust is lightly browned.

Serve immediately on the hot cooking planks for a rustic and aromatic presentation.

Annie

• jimster
    15 years ago

Planked DH Caught Wild Fish

Ingredients:
    3 cups water, hot
    2 pressure treated 2x10s
    1 cup saw dust, from Northern Michigan or elsewhere
    1/2 cup sidewalk salt
    1/2 cup Velveeta, grated or similar
    1 small green onion, chopped fine
    3 tablespoons WD40 motor oil
    2 whole, somewhat fresh, DH caught fish fillets

Directions:
    Dissolve the salt in the hot water and in an appropriate sized container and cover the 2x10s with the hot salt water mixture. Sit on the 2x10s to weigh down the planks to keep them submerged. Blot the planks dry and with a paper towel rub the surface of the plank thoroughly with the motor oil.

In a medium sized mixing bowl blend the saw dust and other stuff with 2 or three tablespoons of the motor oil. Divide the delicious mixture evenly over the flesh side of each trash fish fillet, pressing gently into the fish.

Preheat your oven or outdoor grill to 400 degrees.

Place the soaked planks oiled side up in the center of the oven or grill (if using a grill notify the fire department) and heat or "cure" the plank for 15-20 minutes until the plank is hot and stinky. Nail the fillets to the planks and place the planks over the fire.

When fire gets roaring, carefully remove the hot 2x10s from the bonfire. Drizzle your favorite booze, if there is any left, return the planks to the grill and roast about 15-20 minutes.

Discard the fish. Eat the planks.

Enjoy,

Jim

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

No recipes to share but I am on my way to eating certain fish. I do like seafood but not calamari or oysters.
    I used to hate fish- My Dad would catch trout in the mountains in AZ and I ate some and didnt like the tiny bones. and that was it for years.I now live in MD.
    I like rockfish, striped bass to the rest of the country- stuffed with crab imperial.
    I like tuna a lot- it comes in nonfishlike steaks that are easy to eat.
    I have never cooked fish although I am now thinking about it thanks to this thread.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LOL, Jim, only one problem with your recipe. No sawdust in Northern Michigan, we use it all as nesting material for the chickens or bedding for the horses or to mix with ice melt for traction or to fill the mud holes in the spring!

In addition, to keep it regional, I think the booze and the sawdust must be from the general and local area where the fish were caught. (grin)

Annie

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

Tuna always went for salt water fish like cod or orange roughy. Yoko on the other hand prefers fresh water fish like walleye or perch. If a cat can have a preference so might a person.

Also consider you have a choice of white fish like cod or red fish like catfish. Fresh, frozen, or canned. I eat more albacore tuna then any other fish these days... straight from the can. While albacore is expensive compared to bargin bin shredded tuna it is very good fish that is inexpensive compared to most other meats.

Pancake batter mix is the cheapest easy "breading" going. Use beer instead of water and have beer batter fish.

Spreading a bit of dijion mustard on fish while it is cooking cuts stronger fish flavors. Malt vinegar is a traditional fish and chips topping! Mixing a spoon of dill relish with 1/2 cup mayo makes a decent fish dip/sauce.

My last fish meal was deep fried cod bought hot off the grocery store deli on Friday last week. Very probable that I'll get a half pound on the way to work tomorrow. Most of it I munch as finger food on the way to work.... but I would like them just as much on a plane, on a train, or even on a bus.

: )
    lyra

• christineny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YUCK!! Ok...I went to the fish store. The man (who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable) talked me into buying gray sole. It just came in and was very fresh. In fact, he went into the back to cut some up just for me. I only purchased 3/4lb for four people, but I figured I probably wouldn't eat very much.

Now there is a dead sole fish sitting in my fridge. It is cut very thin and I am planning on breading and frying it. I will post again later....

• User
    15 years ago

Smart fish monger! Sole is a very delicate, sweet, fish and one of my favourite.

My preferance is a Sole Meuniere but, if you are going to bread it dip it lightly in flour , then in egg then in fine bread crumbs. Pan should be moderately hot, but not screaming hot.

As I say, very delicate and therfore can break easily when flipped. Wait until the bottom is nice and golden and then flip carefully. Doesn't take long so make sure everything else is ready to go.

I love it served with lemon wedges, garlic mashed potatoes and are you ready....canned cream corn... but asparagus would be my husbands first choice. LOL

Let us know how it goes....

• User
    15 years ago

As Sharon said, sole is a very sweet and delicate, mild fish. If I can't have halibut then sole is my second choice. I like it the way that you plan to cook it with a light breading, but I also like it just dip in flour. Either way is good. And I like it topped with a little brown butter with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and fresh chopped parsley. You can also add other herbs as well, like basil, oregano, dill or tarragon.

Ann

• lindac
    15 years ago

I also love sole....don't even want it breaded...just pan fried in butter with lemon.
    But it's also very good stuffed with crab and baked!
    Mix some crab meat with a little bread crumbs and just enough mayonaise to moisten....curl on foil on the baking sheet the sole fillet so as to make a little nest for the crab meat.....then bake at 375 until just flakey and the crab is warm....about 10 minutes.
    Linda C

• christineny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ate some fish!!!! I didn't finish my filet but ate most of it. Here's what I did:

I first dunked the fish in flour to which I added some grated lemon peel. I then dunked the fish in egg and then in bread crumbs. I fryed the fish in part butter, part olive oil until browned (a few minutes each side). I served the meal with pureed squash, steamed broccoli and a tossed salad.

I didn't mind the taste of the fish but wasn't too keen on the texture. It tasted a bit slimy to me. I am used to the tough texture of chicken and not the softer texture of fish. It almost felt like I didn't cook the fish enough (maybe I didn't?). My DH and DS loved it. I think I will make it again for the next few Fridays until I get more used to it. My SIL said that you need to eat something 15 times before you start to like it. I don't know if that is true or not.

Again...I cannot thank everyone enough for sharing their widsom and recipes with me.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Brave soul!

I find sole to be a bit soft, too. I like to roll it up with some herbed bread crumb stuffing and bake it. I have a recipe if you'd like.

• christineny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Barnmom! I would like to have your recipe. I guess the bread crumbs mask the softness of the fish??

• jimster
    15 years ago

Sounds like you did a terrific job of cooking the sole. Trust your DH's and DS's word. From how you describe it, it was not under cooked. I am confident you will grow to appreciate it done perfectly, as I believe it was.

For most white fleshed fish, that very delicate, fragile texture is perfect. Some fish, while cooked to the same doneness, will be more firm. You might enjoy trying some halibut or swordfish, both of which are very firm. (We won't get into tuna right now because that can lead to controversy.) I would use a different preparation for halibut or swordfish, something more in the way you would do porkchops.

BTW, your method on the sole was really nice. There are two similar ones I like. One is merely to sub panko crumbs for the regular bread crumbs. Panko is nice and crunchy and works well with something thin such as sole because the sole gets done before the panko crumbs are too dark.

The second variation is to sub a 50/50 mixture of flour and corn meal with whatever seasonings you wish to add. This is the standard coating used for frying fish here on Cape Cod. It is referred to as "dry batter", as opposed to "wet batter". I know there are many who like wet batters such as beer batter but I don't. They are too heavy, IMO.

Jim

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Good Job Christine! I'll have to try that too..I've never had sole.

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

Good for you, Christine! It sounds like you did a great job on your venture into the wonderful world of fish. If you're going to stick with sole for a while, here's another way you can try sometime:

FRESH FISH PICCATA Â serves 2

1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 pound thin (1/4 to 3/8 inch) slices of filleted fish**
    1 small lemon, peeled and sliced, each slice cut into 8 to 12 pieces
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
    1 1/2 tsp. small capers, well rinsed and dried
    2 Tbs. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat the oil in a skillet, add the fillets and cook over medium-high heat only about 1 minute on each side. Remove to a heated platter.

Add the lemon pieces, salt, pepper, and capers to the skillet and when hot, pour over the sauteed fish. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with Champagne Risotto.

** - This recipe works best with thin fillets. My favorites are striped bass (not the thick Chilean sea bass), rockfish, red snapper, sole or flounder. Tilapia would also be good prepared this way.

CHAMPAGNE RISOTTO Â serves 2

1 1/2 Tbs. sweet unsalted butter
    1 small yellow onion, minced
    3/4 cup Arborio rice
    1/4 cup champagne (can substitute dry white wine)
    1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
    1/4 tsp. saffron threads, softened in 1/4 cup of the broth
    1/4 tsp. salt
    dash of freshly ground pepper
    1 Tbs. heavy cream, at room temperature
    2 Tbs. freshly grated parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a 3 or 4 cup saucepan with a heavy bottom and gently cook the onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and, stirring, cook over medium heat about 4 minutes. Add the champagne and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the 1/4 cup of the broth with the saffron and the salt and pepper. Stir well and cook uncovered over low heat until all the broth has been absorbed by the rice. Add another 1/4 cup of broth, let the rice absorb it up; continue adding broth, 1/4 cup at a time, until the broth is used up. This takes about 30-35 minutes/

When the rice is done  tender but slightly chewy- stir in the cream and the cheese. Serve immediately.

• User
    15 years ago

Christine, don't feel bad if you never get to the point where you actually love fish. There is nothing wrong with disliking something that others love. As mentioned above, except for Halibut, which I love, I do not get any satisfaction out of eating fish. When I cook sole, tuna, swordfish, salmon, or perch, pickerel, white fish, etc. I do it for Moe and most times I'll eat it a little of it, but I can't say that I enjoy it. More often than that I'll just eat the sides. And I don't believe that your sister in law is right. I've tried carrots way more than 15 times and I still hate them. Same goes for raisins. I've never understood why anyone would keep trying a food that they really don't like, in the hopes that they would acquire a taste for it.

Ann

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Way to go Christine! And since you don't like fish, I think you were very smart to try it breaded and fried the first time. Maybe even should do that the first few times until you like it well enough to branch out.

You SIL is right in some ways and wrong in some. I liked fish for years, now cannot stand it. On the other hand there are many foods that I had to try over and over to get where I liked them. It just depends on the person and the food item. I never liked black olives until recently after many tastings, now I like them even better than the green ones I loved and there are other such foods I ate until I learned to like them. I'm so glad you were able to eat your fish.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

I made some salmon last night that was wonderful...I would never criticize a recipe that I have made changes to - but I will admit that I made many changes to this one because I used what I had on hand (which wasn't much - LOL!) I can only imagine it would taste even better if I followed the recipe. It was from the back of the box of rice noodles that I bought and I found the recipe online through googling Annie Chun's.

Pan Seared Salmon on Rice Noodles with Sweet and Sour Dressing

1 pkg Annie Chun's Maifun Rice Noodles
    4 5 oz. salmon fillets
    ¼ cup flour
    3 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
    ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts (for garnish)

Sauce
    2 shallots, thinly sliced
    1 tsp fresh ginger, minced (didn't have - sprinkled some ground)
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    ¼ cup white mine or Mirin (used chicken broth)
    1 tsp sugar

Dressing
    3 tbsp fish sauce (only had about 2 tbsp)
    4 tbsp rice vinegar or lime juice
    2 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp chopped fresh lemongrass (didn't have any)
    2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
    2 bunches chopped scallion (used finely chopped onion)
    2 bird's eye chilies, minced (or a pinch of chili pepper)(used half a jalapeno minced)

Cook Noodles as directed on package then drain. Rinse salmon fillets then pat dry and lightly coat with flour. Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat and fry salmon fillets 2-3 minutes on each side. Combine ingredients to make sauce. Add sauce mixture to salmon and cook for 1-2 minutes or until salmon is well coated with sauce. Combine ingredients to make dressing. Place noodles on a large serving platter, drizzle with dressing and arrange salmon and sauce mixture over noodles. Garnish with chopped peanuts.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe online

• digitalkev
    15 years ago

I would definetly go with the Orange Roughy, or the Mahi-Mahi... the fresher the better.
    They don't have that 'hardcore' fish taste...

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Grilling Tips

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Here is my recipe for stuffed sole from "The Complete Yogurt Cookbook." I'm reminded I haven't made this in a while. I usually just do a breaded and pan fried version because the resident kid likes it that way. The tang of the yogurt is good with the fish.

1-1/2 pounds fillet of sole
    2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (I like shallots)
    2 tablespoons butter
    1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup plain yogurt
    1-1/2 cups milk
    freshly ground pepper

For sauce:
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 tablespoon fined chopped roasted red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground marjoram (I skip this)
    1/3 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Sauté onions in butter until lightly browned. Remove from heat; add bread crumbs, parsley, yogurt, marjoram, and salt. Mix well and spread over fillets. Roll up and fasten with toothpicks. Place in shallow baking dish, add milk and sprinkle with pepper and salt. Bake 30 minutes at 350°. Drain milk from fish, cover and return sole to low oven to keep warm.

For sauce: make a white sauce with butter, flour and milk from the baked fillets. Remove from heat and add yogurt, salt, parsley, marjoram, and roasted red pepper. Serve over fish (remove toothpicks!). Serves 6 (so it says)

Here is a link that might be useful: Making a white sauce in the unlikely event you need instruction. Too lazy to type it out.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

You are very thoughtful to cook something you don't like for your family! You really do need to make fresh tuna sometime. To me, it is the least fishy of all fish because of the meaty chicken like texture. And there is no relation to fresh and canned either!

• jimster
    15 years ago

I hope that, just because Christine is attempting to like fish, I don't have to try to like goat cheese.

Jim

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

YAY, Christine! I am so impressed that you are trying to learn to like fish because your family does!

Sounds like your sole turned out perfect, too!

Here is another recipe for sole. It sounds "putzy", but it's really not and we think its delicious! I have subbed haddock for the sole on occasion because sole is hard for me to get here in MN. (And it may get you to like shrimp, too! LOL)

Filets de Sole Au Crevettes
    (Fillets of Sole with Shrimp)
    1 lb sole filets
    1T lemon juice
    1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
    1 3oz can whole mushrooms, drained (I didn't use)
    1T dijon mustard
    1 tsp cornstarch
    1 c cream
    1 c cooked tiny shrimp, drained
    2 T fine dry bread crumbs
    1 tsp butter, melted

Brush each filet with lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle one side with parsley, cut fish in half lengthwise. Roll each up loosely, parsley side in, secure with toothpicks. Stand rolls up in 9x9x2 baking dish.
    Cover and bake at 425F for 10 minutes.

Drain off juices, remove picks. Press a mushroom in each roll. Blend mustard into cornstarch, stir in cream. Cook over medium low heat until bubbly, add the shrimp and heat through.

Pour the sauce over the fish. Mix bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the fish rolls. Bake, uncovered 10-15 minutes. Serves 4

Linda

• christineny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! I'm going to have fish recipes to last me one year!! Thank you everyone for sharing them with me. Also, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

I will try again on Friday and take it really slow. I may never develop a great liking for fish. I don't think you could pay me to try clams or anything like that. Like I said - real slow.

Jim - I love goat cheese!! In fact, there is a goat farm not to far from me where I go and buy goat feta, goat cherve, goat yogurt, and even goat milk fudge! It's so good. I challenge you to try it!!

• jakkom
    15 years ago

There is no better list of "safe" fish to eat than the one produced by California's Monterey Bay Aquarium. It is regularly updated and you are able to search in a variety of ways. You can also learn a great deal about the pros and cons of farmed fish. I believe that eating bluefin tuna is NOT recommended above once a week, and even less often for children or pregnant women - it is one of the highest in mercury.

BTW, just so those of you who enjoy raw fish can sound a little more expert, sushi means simply the vinegared or salted cooked rice. If you like raw fish, you are enjoying sashimi!

Here is a link that might be useful: MB Aquarium Seafood Watch

• Lars
    15 years ago

Here's my favorite recipe (which I made up myself) for a crab sauce for fish. I love almost all seafood, but crab is my favorite flavor. I've tried making sole stuffed with crab, but I prefer this method:

Crab Sauce for Fish

Ingredients:

2-1/2 tbsp Butter
    1 tbsp Olive Oil
    1/4 cup minced Onion
    1/4 cup minced Red Bell Pepper
    1 Jalapeño, minced
    1/4 tsp Thyme
    1/4 tsp Dried Basil
    1/4 tsp White Pepper
    1/4 pound Crab Meat
    1 tbsp Lobster (or Crab) soup base
    3/4 cup Potato Water
    3 tbsp Potato Starch
    1/4 cup Lemon Juice (or white wine)

Instructions:

Melt the butter in a saucepan with the olive oil. Add the onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeño and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the thyme, basil, and white pepper, and sauté a two minutes more. Add the crab meat and cook for another minute or so, to heat the crab.

Combine the soup base with the potato water (or plain hot water) and add to the saucepan. Heat just to simmer.

Mix the potato starch with the lemon juice (or wine) and add to sauce pan. Heat just until mixture has thickened.

Serve over grilled fish, such as Opah, Swordfish, Marlin, or other mild flavored fish. Can also be used with Sole or Flounder.

If you can find Opah, it is an excellent mildly flavored fish with a good texture - somewhat like tuna.

Here's my recipe for Cajun Seasoning, which is very good on fish, providing you like spicy food. I also like to make gumbo (but that's rather involved) and Shrimp Udon Noodle Soup.

Salmon is my favorite fish for grilling over charcoal for a smoked flavor, but tuna is my favorite for grilling indoors, in a wide ridged pan

When I grill swordfish, sometimes I put a couple of mushrooms in the pan, and I always cover it with a loosely fitting domed lid. This helps keep it from drying out.

The main thing to remember, as others have said, is to buy very fresh fish that has never been frozen. The exceptions to that would be crab and shrimp, which are frozen on the boat when they are caught. It's better to get fresh shrimp, but it's acceptable to have been frozen. The best shrimp I ever had was on the beach in Vera Cruz.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: My gumbo recipe

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations