SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Ramen Project

John Liu
10 years ago

Over in TGIF I mentioned that my cooking project for this weekend is to make ramen from my Momofuku cookbook.

The thing I like about cookbooks from commercial chefs is that the recipes are, or can be, "full-strength", as it were. A lot of restaurant cooking uses extravagant amounts of ingredients, labor and time to make something that a home cook would normally get from a can or a packet. Most home-oriented cookbook would water down those recipes because their expected audience would never stand for the whole production. Would Rachel Ray's fan base tolerate a ramen broth that takes 8 hours to make? Unlikely. But in a commercial kitchen, they can do it, because the cooks are there all day anyway.

This ramen broth - scaled down to home quantities - starts with 5 quarts of water, some konbu and dried shiitake mushrooms. After fishing out the seaweed and mushrooms, you add 4 pounds of chicken. When that has done its bit, it is replaced with 5 pounds of roasted pork neck bones. Later, a pound of bacon and a lonely onion do their turns. You replenish water as the broth reduces. This takes 8 hours. At the end, you reduce the finished broth to make a half gallon of concentrate for easier storage and freezing.

Sounds fun, doesn't it? Here goes.

Comments (29)