SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paleblue_gw

New here and I am impressed!

paleblue
13 years ago

Am eating with my eyes and imagination.

I love vinegar , and wonder if you can suggest recipes

that would use would use it generously. I don't care for salads.

Mostly, I would like soups or hot dishes. Thanks

Comments (14)

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Welcome! Wonderful cooks abound here. I'm sure you will get many new ideas.

Eileen

• triciae
    13 years ago

Southern BBQ Sauce comes to mind! One of our great southern cooks will be around shortly I'm sure & provide a terrific recipe. I'm from north of the Mason-Dixon so can't be of much help. I use ketchup in mine. (grin)

Welcome to the CF!

/tricia

• Related Discussions

I am new users here

Q

Comments (0)
    I am new here. And i have a website about dell drivers download. it is a blog, here you can find all the dell drivers, such as dell laptop, desktop, server, tablet, printer, projector, storage, etc drivers. And many people discuss the Dell drivers problems here.
    ...See More

I am also new here.......can I ask for some help?

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm not sure about this, but I thought I read once that the Salvation Army helps people find each other. You could call your local unit and ask. If they cannot help you, maybe they could give you some suggestions of where to go. It may take some digging and some time. If you go into it knowing that the results could be good or bad, then I say go for it. I'm very sorry about your health issues and know you must feel so frightened. I hope you'll keep us posted here on how it goes. Take care. Best wishes, Susan
    ...See More

i am new to here. I'd like to show some roses bloomed this year.

Q

Comments (29)
    yes, kublakan, actually I am new to both roses and gardening. I bought this house 3 years age and started to plant roses around spring time of 2013. I really like roses and peonies. Thanks.
    ...See More

New Tomato Seeds... I am so impressed!!

Q

Comments (21)
    Rebecca, That is no big deal , you thinking that I am a woman. I have done similar thing about some member here before. That is no offense. I am following your other thread on 0-33 . That sound amazing cold tolerance. Most tomato plant are much tougher than most of us think. I have put them to test down to mid 30s many time, with no problem. This Tuesday, I will be taking a bunch of my plants out side to get some spring training ( Hardening off). Weather permitting, they will be planted out starting April 6, 7 on . Sey
    ...See More
  • Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

You said you don't like salads. But how about seasoned rice vinegar on radishes and shredded carrots? Red radishes or daikon work equally well.

Saute finely shredded napa or savoy cabbage in butter. Sprinkle with the vinegar of your choice and salt and pepper Toss with cooked egg noodles or spaetzle.

I love vinegar too!

• jimster
    13 years ago

"Southern BBQ Sauce comes to mind!"

That's what came to my mind too, Tricia. Great minds...

I think we thought of that because the vinegar plays a lead role in it

I also am eager for a good recipe.

Jim

• lindac
    13 years ago

Hello there pale blue! How about sweet and sour red cabbage?
    1 small head of red cabbage,
    1 mediun sized red onion
    1 peeled apple.
    Shred all ( I use a 1 mm blade in the Cuisinart)
    Place all into a heavy pot (I use a Cuisinart Dutch oven) add
    2/3 cup cider vinegar I like the unpasteurized cloudy organic kind
    2/3 cup brown sugar,
    Light sprinkle of kosher salt.
    cover and simmer about 45 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes.
    Feel free to add more sugar or vinegar....because your head of cabbage may be larger than mine!
    Linda C

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

I dribble vinegar on many soups (particularly starchy soups, such as bean, pea or lentil) as a tasty alternative to extra salt. In meat/pasta recipes that call for wine, you can often use a sweet sort of vinegar, like balsamic, to interesting effect.

Salads don't have to be a bowl of greens. Many raw, blanched or cooked vegetables can be tossed in a vinaigrette to provide a tasty starter or side dish "salad." I love fresh green beans, combined with sweet boiled or roasted beets and rings of red onions in a simple vinegar/olive oil dressing with or without fresh, minced herbs, salt & pepper. This is a delightful salad, whether served hot, warm, room temp or cold.

Another wonderful use for good vinegar is in a dip for your dinner bread. Olive oil, good vinegar, salt & pepper and your choice of minced herbs/spices, finely grated garlic or minced shallots, maybe some Parmesan. I used to make up little dishes of this at the restaurant for regular customers or folks who told me they eschewed butter for dietary reasons and it was always a big hit.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

This pork roast recipe is very good, but some find the smell of the vinegar when cooking a little alarming. But since you say you love vinegar, I'm thinking that smell won't bother you.

Pork Roast with Thyme

5 pounds pork roast, trimmed
    3 cloves garlic, sliced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
    3 bay leaves
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon dried thyme

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    2. With a small knife, pierce top of roast. Force garlic slices into the cuts. Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper. Place bay leaves in the bottom of the roasting pan, and set roast on top of bay leaves, fat side up. Mix vinegar and thyme in a small bowl, and pour over the top of the roast.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven 3 hours, or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C) is reached. Using a baster or spoon, baste the drippings over the roast frequently while it is cooking. Let the roast rest for 10 minutes when done before slicing.

Welcome to the Cooking Forum!
    Teresa

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I made this for Christmas dinner a few years ago. The family loved it. Easy on the waistline as well.

Pork loin stuffed with fuji apples

SELF : November 2005

Santiago De La Cruz

Servings: Makes 4 servings.

Ingredients

1/4 cup golden raisins
    3/4 cup Riesling
    1 1/2 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes, peel and core reserved
    Pinch of cinnamon 2 lb center-cut boneless pork loin (ask butcher to make a 1-inch incision in the center all the way through)
    Sea salt
    Vegetable-oil cooking spray
    1 medium onion, diced large
    1 carrot, diced large
    1 celery stalk, diced large
    4 stems fresh rosemary
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Preparation

Heat oven to 375ðF. Soak raisins in cup wine for 10 minutes. Combine raisins (including wine not absorbed), apples and cinnamon in a bowl. Fill pork-loin cavity with apple-raisin mixture. Season pork with sea salt and pepper; set aside 15 minutes at room temperature. (If loin splits, tie with kitchen twine.) Meanwhile, coat a roasting pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Sear pork on all sides until golden brown, about 4 minutes total, turning frequently so it doesn't stick. Place onion, carrot, celery, rosemary and apple peels and cores in pan; place pork on top. Cook 25 minutes or until pork reaches 150ð. While meat cooks, reduce vinegar and remaining 1/2 cup wine in a small saucepan 15 to 20 minutes on high heat until thick and syrupy. Remove pork from pan; let rest 10 minutes. Slice pork and divide among plates. Drizzle reduction over pork.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

You may want to try pickled pig's feet.

dcarch

• metaxa
    13 years ago

I find vinegar goes well with cabbage, among other things.

So lots of Alsatian recipes could be modified, cabbage rolls simmer in very vinegary broth in this house.

And the old standby, chips (French fries) with salt and vinegar.

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

Sauerbraten?

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

There are not a lot of fun things about waking at 2 am and not being able to go back to sleep. One of them is coming to the cooking forum and finding posts from Colleen on the other side of the planet. Hi Colleen!

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

No real recipes, just a big welcome from another vinegar lover in Oregon.

Fresh tomatoes, goat cheese, basil and a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic.
    Fresh cucumbers with rice vinegar.
    Love a good 4 bean salad.
    Dill pickles, sweet pickles, relish.
    Balsamic salad dressing (lexculinara website).
    Vinegar over sauted greens.
    Vinegar sprinkled on baked (or fried zucchini).
    Vinegar in glass!!! Yeah, did the cider vinegar "health" thing for a while. Try it! About a tablespoon of good, unpasturized apple cider vinegar, fill to 8 oz. with water (I actually like slightly warm water). Supposed to be good for ya. I didn't notice a lot of health benefits, but enjoyed the vinegar! LOL

Deanna

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

I love vinegar but not cider vinegar.

Drank a shot of rice vinegar yesterday for my heartburn. Why it works I don't have a clue. Sometimes I just drink a shot because it gives me energy.

Often I nuke a scrubbed potato. When done I soak it good with malt, rice, or white vinegar with a good dusting of S&P.

I love vinegar on fish and french fries!

Dribble a bit into your bloody mary... pickle juice is best. A dirty martini has some vinegar in the form of olive juice in it.... not bad at all.

Pan juice from a steak can be mixed with vinegar to make a sour gravy. Soak it up with buttered bread while hiding in the kitchen so nobody can see you... else you will have to share.

Boiled cabbage is so much better with a sprinkle of vinegar!

I must have six types of vinegar in the house right now.. white, rice, malt, sweet basalmic, red basalmic, and cheap basalmic. I have a "salad" vinegar that is a mix of malt and white with some sugar.

Being "bunnyman" I have to mention hasenpheffer! That is a german rabbit stew with vinegar to make it a bit sour. Both white and brown versions can be made. If you don't have rabbit available substitute chicken breast meat.

I pickle all sorts of stuff in vinegar like chicken gizzards, beef tounge, and deer hearts. Pickled bologna is common in stores around here... told the rest of the country is unfamiliar. Pickled green beans or asparagus are treats.

: )
    lyra