SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Need inspiration.......

dgkritch
16 years ago

I've got boneless skinless chicken thighs thawing for dinner...

I am totally uninspired.

I'll have about an hour (or less) to get something ready for dinner.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Deanna

Comments (9)

• stacy3
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Deanna, have you tried Sol's recipe??? wow, is it ever great. I think youcould do it if I hurry up and post it!

Chicken in Caramel Sauce

This recipe is from the Washington Post, which adapted it from a recipe from the Slanted Door restaurant that appeared in a cookbook called The Secrets of Success: Signature Recipes and Insider Tips from San Frans Best Restaurants by Michael BauerÂ

1/2 C packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 C water
    1/4 C Asian fish sauce
    3 T rice vinegar
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp thinly sliced fresh ginger
    1/2 to 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (1/2 usually enough for me)
    2 small chili peppers, fresh or dried, halved (I always use fresh)
    1 T canola oil
    1 shallot thinly sliced
    1 1/2 - 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh meat, cut into bite-size pieces (can use a combo of light and dark meat, if you prefer)

In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, water, fish sauce, vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, pepper, and chilis, and mix well. Set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat (can also use a wok, but IÂve had better luck w/a skillet). Add shallot and cook, stirring, until brown, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on each side but not cooked through, about 5 minutes.

Stir the reserved sauce mixture and add to skillet. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat to med-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by about half and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard the chili peppers. Remove pan from heat, set aside until sauce has thickened and cooled slightly, about 3 minutes.

Serve with rice.

Note: This is traditionally a Vietnamese dish. If you havenÂt cooked w/fish sauce before, youÂll notice that itÂs pretty stinky before itÂs cooked (!), but when the sauce is all together it gives it a really distinctive flavor that would be difficult to duplicate without it. IÂm able to get it in my local grocery store, but if you canÂt, then Asian markets will be sure to have it.

The dish can be more spicy or less, depending what you do w/the pepper and chilis. If I want it less spicy, I remove all the seeds from the chilis before adding them to the sauce. This time, I left most of the seeds in, and it was very spicy. Probably thereÂs a happy medium and it would be spicy enough w/about half the seeds. If you prefer it to be more sweet than spicy, remove all the seeds and use a bit less black pepper (even tho I like it spicy, I never need more than 1/2 tsp of pepper).

• stacy3
    16 years ago

This looks good from Simply recipes. oh yeah, now I remember I made it once - yum!

Parmesan Chicken Recipe

When we were kids, my mother used to make this Parmesan chicken that was so good we would fight for drippings, every last crumb. She would use boneless, skinless chicken (after having de-boned a whole chicken and then used the bones for stock) and cut the pieces into much smaller pieces. The chicken would cook much faster this way, and the ratio of buttery, crunchy coating to meat much higher. Mom forgot the exact recipe over time, but I think we came pretty close in recreating it with this chicken parmesan recipe.

1 clove garlic, minced
    1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup or 1/4 pound), melted
    1 cup dried bread crumbs
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or 2/3 cup if you are using a Microplane zester)
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    A large pinch of Italian seasoning (herb mix)
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 lbs of skinless, boneless, chicken meat, cut into pieces no larger than 2x2 inches

• Related Discussions

Please help! Need inspiration for small spare bedroom for grandkids.

Q

Comments (11)
    My 6 yr old loves his Kura reversible loft bed with canopy from Ikea. He and my 3 yr old both enjoy having a ready made tent! https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80253814/ We have it in his 11'6" x 10' lengthwise along the 10'wall. It can be a normal bed or you can flip it into a mini-loft bed. In the loft bed mode you can put a mattress under it and create a bunk bed. We have it now as a normal bed since he just started regularly sleeping in it and have the jungle canopy on it. Length: 78 3/8 " Width: 41 3/8 " Height: 45 5/8 " Height under loft bed: 32 5/8 "
    ...See More

New Build - Need inspiration for Living Room Blank Wall

Q

Comments (11)
    Can you add the fireplace (may help for re-sale) but make it so that you can still have room for TV on one side (either in cabinetry or on a console that flows with the fireplace)? That way the TV won't have to be on top of the fireplace. Or maybe your space is big enough to have the TV on the wall opposite the FP and then you can have 2 seating areas (one around TV with sofas, chairs, etc and one around FP with 2 chairs and small table). If swivel chairs can be placed across from TV wall (interior wall), then they can also be used in FP grouping for conversation. Just a thought.
    ...See More

Kitchen Remodel - Need Inspiration! Suggestions?!

Q

Comments (5)
    You’d want to know if the stove w small hood is vented at all or properly . You’d want to know your options w the ceiling. Look over your layout. You have base drawers are they holding up w regards the construction handling wear and tear and glides ? The two areas of the drop in the counter height.... hmmmm . You’d be best looking over these core things of course the layout before working on surfaces like wall paper. The floor is done . I’d really want the decision about keeping cabs or not as drawers are present... maybe an editing in places (wall cabs) as in remove some ??? Each wall contains a different issue so detailed assessment and then an overall inspiration if no limits were placed and of course budget will limit you. A long range plan might work you could do in phases. It needs a fair number of things don’t get overwhelmed. Just get a notebook don’t start scraping and junk like that right now
    ...See More

Help!! I need inspiration for an off centered TV

Q

Comments (1)
    I like the shelves. Will you have a sectional too? I can't see the whole room, but could you do a couch and two small chairs instead of the sectional? And if your TV will be bigger you may not have to move it over much for it to be centered on the wall if that's what you wanted.
    ...See More
  • stacy3
    16 years ago

This looks good from Simply recipes. oh yeah, now I remember I made it once - yum!

Parmesan Chicken Recipe

When we were kids, my mother used to make this Parmesan chicken that was so good we would fight for drippings, every last crumb. She would use boneless, skinless chicken (after having de-boned a whole chicken and then used the bones for stock) and cut the pieces into much smaller pieces. The chicken would cook much faster this way, and the ratio of buttery, crunchy coating to meat much higher. Mom forgot the exact recipe over time, but I think we came pretty close in recreating it with this chicken parmesan recipe.

1 clove garlic, minced
    1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup or 1/4 pound), melted
    1 cup dried bread crumbs
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or 2/3 cup if you are using a Microplane zester)
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    A large pinch of Italian seasoning (herb mix)
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 lbs of skinless, boneless, chicken meat, cut into pieces no larger than 2x2 inches

1 Preheat oven to 450°F.
    2 In a bowl, combine the minced garlic with the melted butter. In another bowl mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, salt, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Dip chicken pieces into garlic butter, then into crumb mixture to coat.
    3 Place coated chicken pieces on to a 9x13 baking dish. Try to leave a little room between each piece. Drizzle with remaining garlic butter and bake uncovered 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Note that the chicken will get much more browned on the bottom side than on the top.
    Serves 4-6.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

another posted by Woodie.

TUSCAN CHICKEN
    Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenderloins
    Salt and pepper
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, crushed
    3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 shallots, chopped
    6 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 cups beef broth (yes, beef broth)

Heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, half the chicken pieces, and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. Brown chicken 2 minutes on each side and remove from pan. Add remaining oil, another single turn of the pan, remaining chicken pieces and garlic. Brown chicken 2 minutes on each side and remove. Add vinegar to the pan. Let it cook off.

Add butter, shallots, and rosemary to the pan and cook 2 minutes, add flour and cook 1 minute more. Whisk in wine, reduce 1 minute. Whisk in broth and bring liquids up to a bubble. Return chicken to the pan and simmer over moderate heat 7 to 8 minutes to finish cooking chicken through.

• User
    16 years ago

Here are a couple of my favourites.....

Chicken Piccata - Woodie

4 Chicken breast halves boned and skinned
    Salt and Pepper
    Flour (enough for coating)
    3 Tbl butter
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1-1/2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 Cupwhite wine

Put a piece of waxed paper on the counter and place chicken on top. Use a meat pounder, the side of a saucer, the unsharpened side of a heavy knife or other object to pound the breast into a thin piece thats uniformly thick (about an inch). Salt and pepper the chicken generously, then coat with flour. Melt butter in a large skillet and brown chicken on both sides.
    Remove chicken from skillet. Add lemon juice, chicken broth and wine. Boil down until its about one-half cup. Place chicken back in skillet, cover and cook 3 minutes. Remove cover and serve.

Chicken - Pollo Alla Siciliana - Joe

2 whole chicken breasts boned and skinned, cut into thin strips no more than 1/2-inch wide and 1 inch long
    6 Tbl flour
    ½ Tbl red pepper flakes ( I omitted)
    1 Tsp fresh ground pepper
    salt to taste (optional)
    4 Tbl yellow onion sliced thin
    6-8 cloves garlic sliced
    4 Tbl butter
    6 Tbl olive oil
    ½ Cup tomatoes seeded, peeled, diced (I used canned)
    1 Tsp dried oregano (or a couple of sprigs of fresh
    4 Tbl fresh basil coarse chopped
    2 Tbl fresh parsley chopped
    12 ounces chicken broth
    12 ounces angel hair pasta (or spaghetti)

Put on a large pot of water to boil, for the pasta.
    Flatten chicken breasts and cut into ½" by 1" strips. In a plastic storage bag, mix flour, pepper flakes, and ground pepper. Put chicken strips into bag and shake (just before cooking).
    Slice onion and garlic. If using fresh tomatoes, peel, seed, and chop. Chop parsley and basil.

Heat ½ of the butter and olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add ½ of the chicken strips and brown each side lightly. Remove chicken from skillet with a slotted spoon, add remainder of butter and oil, heat, and add remainder of chicken. Remove when browned. Save the flour mix.

Add onion to skillet, reduce heat, and saut until soft. Scrape chicken bits from bottom of skillet. Add garlic and saut very briefly (do not brown).
    Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, and parsley. Mix thoroughly and heat well. For a thicker "sauce", add a tablespoon or so of the remaining dredging flour at this point.

Add chicken stock and simmer until thickened.~

Add pasta to boiling water.~

Return chicken to skillet, mix thoroughly, and reduce heat to lowest setting just to warm.Put drained pasta onto plates and spoon chicken and sauce onto pasta.
    Joe

Oven Fried Chicken Strips - Cuisine At Home

3 boneless chicken breasts cut into 4 strips each
    3/4 cup flour
    1/2 tsp pepper
    salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2/3 cup Panko ( Or regular bread crumbs)
    2 egg whites
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    3 T vegetable oil, divided

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine flour and seasonings in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken fingers in flour mixture. Then place chicken on a cooling type rack. Add bread crumbs to remaining flour.

Whisk egg whites into soft peaks gently whisk in buttermilk and Tabasco.

Dip each strip into the egg white mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Put back on rack.

Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp of oil in 2 large glass baking dishes for 5 minutes. Place half the strips in each dish. Roast for 15 minutes, flip and roast another 10 minutes. Or until coating is golden and crispy.

Serve with any favourite dipping sauce.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Stacy and Sharon!
    Boy, I think I need to re-stock my pantry...(it's Annie's fault....I've been trying to use up!!)

Sol's Chicken in Caramel Sauce looks really good....but, alas, no fish sauce or rice vinegar. I'm thinking I could sub Hoisin sauce. It certainly won't taste the same, but still good, maybe???

I do have Sol's Lemon Garlic Chicken recipe too and thought about that, but kind of wanted something different (we LOVE that one).

The Parm Chicken is out.....used up the Parm.
    Tuscan Chicken is out.....used up the white wine vinegar.
    Chicken Piccata..........no white wine.
    Chicken - Pollo Alla Siciliana...........used up my onions.
    Chicken strips.......just used up my buttermilk. yeah, I could make do...

Doggone you Annie!! It's all your fault!
    On the "up" side...........I've got a lot less old food around here!! thanks........I think!

I do think I'll try the Chicken in Caramel Sauce with the sub.

And Stacy.....thanks for hurrying, but I'm at work still. It's just that I'll get home later than normal and I don't want to spend hours cooking, then eat at 9:00!
    :+)

Deanna

• lindac
    16 years ago

I would beat them thin and spread or roll them in something...maybe mayo thinned with milk and a bit of dijon...maybe BBQ sauce...then roll in panko and pop onto a piece of foil ( easy clean up!) And stick into a 375 oven while you make some easy rice, or baked potatoe, salad and a steamed veggie and you are there for an easy meal.
    Linda C

• danain
    16 years ago

It's too late for this but, Fine Cooking had a cover recipe this Summer that works great with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Of course, I changed it a little for what I had on hand.

Grilled Rosemary Chicken

{{gwi:2071628}}

1 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
    2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken: 8 thighs or 2 breast
    Dipping Sauce:
    1/2 cup apricot preserves
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl combine rosemary, sugar, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch strips (or breast into 1-inch chunks). Sprinkle the chicken with the rosemary mixture. Skewer the chicken thighs by rolling strips then inserting into wood skewers that have been soaked in water for at least 30 minutes. Drizzle skewered chicken with olive oil.

Combine dipping sauce ingredients and set aside at room temperature.

Heat a grill over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes. Clean the grates with a brush and place chicken skewers on the grate; reduce heat to medium. Cook chicken, turning after about 5 minutes and cook 5 or 6 minutes more, until juices run clean and internal temperature of chicken reaches 160°. Remove from grill and cover loosely with foil and let rest at least 5 minutes before serving with dipping sauce.

*May substitute balsamic vinegar for the white wine vinegar.
    **Recipe inspired by recipe from Fine Cooking magazine.

Marilyn

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marilyn, that looks delicious!

LindaC, I must have gotten (part of) your message via ESP last night.

I ended up being very lazy.
    Dipped in seasoned flour, then egg/water, then Panko/bread crumbs. Baked at 450 for about 25 minutes (on parchment) and served with toasted cheddar bread and corn from the freezer.

I'm saving these other recipes to try later though!
    Thanks to all!
    Deanna