SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_md_gw

Floor Tile Size Advice/Opinions Much Needed

brenda_md
15 years ago

We will be replacing our patio this spring with a four-season room. The design is such that it will retain as much as possible an "open, outdoor" feeling to take advantage of our country setting and gardens. I want the décor to be warm and inviting, similar to an Old World feeling with a terracotta-look, porcelain tile (Italian or Mediterranean look). The problem I am having is the floor tile size. Since the room is a decent size, about 350 sq. ft., I assumed a larger tile size (18 inches or so) would be more appropriate. However, what few times I have seen in person tile of this size used, I thought the larger tile size detracted from an Old World feeling.

Would it be out of perspective with the room if smaller tile (say 14 in.) was used? I know smaller tile adds more grout lines. It is my plan to use grouting of a darker color to help avoid the staining/cleaning issues of lighter grout, especially since we want this room to be informal and not high maintenance. I would greatly appreciate any advice or insight you have on this.

Comments (16)