SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets

Opinions and advice requested on tile job (Warning: lengthy)

nhbaskets
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have been in our new build home for 3 1/2 years. Not custom built, but we were able to choose all the finishes that the developer offered, and in the case of our kitchen, go with our own KD and installer. I really wish we had pushed and used our own subs for several other areas, especially the bathroom tile. Which is why I'm now here seeking advice.

Our 2nd floor bath, which DS uses every day, has been an issues since shortly after we moved in. First off, between the tub and wall tile, the developers sub grouted rather than caulked. Tile only came to the end of the tub, not extending past and outside the tub area. A year after we had moved in, the sheetrock outside the tub area began to bubble. Obviously, water was getting to it from somewhere. My bet was that the grout was failing, but the developer and tiler was sure it was from water splashing. At that point, we only had a shower curtain. The wall was repaired and we had an ~12" glass panel installed to "protect" the wall from splashing. 1 1/2 years went by and the wall outside the shower, now protected with the glass, began to bubble again and obvious failure of the grouting inside the shower was evident. After months and months of bugging the developer, finally this week he had the original tile company come in and rip out the bullnose tile and first vertical row of tile. Yes, there was mold.

I questioned what was used behind the tile as it appeared to be sheetrock, certainly not cement board. A call to the developer and we were told they used DensShield.

The wall was repaired (by another sub from the developer) and waterproofed by the tiler. On Friday while I was at work, the tiler came and tiled, then later grouted and caulked.

This is the result:

I've never tiled, but IMO, this tiling job is patchwork and totally unacceptable.

Would love the opinions of experts on this board on several items. I'm sure there are things I haven't even thought of.

1. Is DensShield an acceptable product for this application? If so, is it okey that the repair done by the sheetrocker was mudded, then waterproofed?
  2. Would you accept this tiling job? The original tiler did a substandard tile installation, with large grout lines and asymmetrical placement in each corner (ask if you want to see pictures.) This new tile appears to be a patchwork job and has grout lines that range from .375 to .125".
  3. The grout that was used yesterday appears to be a different color. The tiler sales rep told us today that after a year, we won't see a difference. If, in fact, the same grout color was used, is this true?
  4. The tiler used chalk where the tub and tile meet. He also caulked, I'm guessing over grout, in the two corners. The caulk color is much darker than the grout. If using what is supposedly the same color caulk as grout, should they be fairly close in color?

In the end, we want this to become whole. The developer, even 3 1/2 years after, has indicated he will make us happy. I'm just not sure how far he will go to do this.

If you've made it this far, thank you. After 2 glasses of wine, I see I'm running on.

Comments (27)