SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bikemanswife

Need help warming up this kitchen

Alice Johannen
11 years ago

Hi, folks. We did a big kitchen remodel last summer and I'm just now getting around to posting some pictures in hopes that one of you decorating gurus will have some ideas for warming it up a bit. What I'm focusing on, particularly, is the back wall -- the wall with the giant window. I think I'd like a piece of art back there, but I'm worried it will look unbalanced if I put art to the left of the window but not to the right. And what would I put there?

I would appreciate any ideas you might have. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics of kitchen and adjacent rooms

Comments (26)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Love your cabinets.. and they are very warm. I think you just need to carry some of that around the room to balance out the cool blue.

I am not sure artwork is the answer-- or not the complete answer. How do you feel about window treatments? Wood or matchstick blinds (even if up all the time) would help.. and maybe some panels that bring in the blue with a warmer straw, orange or burnt red. I could also see a rug in similar colors or a sisal.

I take it this is immediately post reno.. what accessories do you have in there now? What are you using for an accent color?

• erinsean
    11 years ago

Not sure art work would look good there. How about buffet lamps on your cupboard on the right side of your kitchen, a pretty bowl of fruit by the sink on the island, plus some pretty towels and a long runner between the stove and sink which is in the island. Some white airy sheer curtains would look good on the windows if you like. Warm up your kitchen with color....canisters, a jar for utensils next to your stove....etc. etc.

• Related Discussions

ideas to warm up my kitchen design

Q

Comments (29)
    I like your choices, love the cabinets. The cabinets are cool-toned, but they are light, so I think it will look nice. I would go for dark on either the floor or the countertops, but not both. I think a light countertop with the darker flooring would look great with the cabinets. I don't think black counters would look as good. It's ok for a space to be cool-toned. You want to avoid it being too cold or sterile. The aged look of the cabinets feels very alive to me, so I don't think you will have a problem with it feeling cold. A richer walls color like the emerald teal color above will help give it some life too. I like My3dogs last image. Doesn't look cold at all to me.
    ...See More

My kitchen is very modern and a bit cold - how can I warm it up?

Q

Comments (43)
    thank you everyone! and Leslie I'll do a tester with the lights and see if a taller person doesn't get bothered by them before I decide what to do
    ...See More

Open floor plan ... help needed ... kitchen too warm?

Q

Comments (1)
    First step change all the lighting to LEDs 4000K (daylight) that will help when choosing colors to keep them true.Right now I see a lot of yellow hued lighting As for the kitchen what do you mean by too warm IMO cream is a warm color so a bit confused. If you are going to do anything in the kitchen I would remove the cabinets above and for sure around the cooktop and replace that with a nice stainless hood the rest of it seems quite nice.
    ...See More

Help! Need Design Help on Kitchen Remodel to "warm" space

Q

Comments (2)
    Warming the space with that charcoal island and cool looking flooring might call for some hot orange or yellow accessories on the shelves. I don't have a housekeeper, so anything that requires additional cleaning isn't my style, but wood would help warm things up. It must coordinate with your flooring though. Best to focus on canisters, small appliances for warmth. Red/orange Yellow Cool, but cool...
    ...See More
  • luckygal
    11 years ago

What style do you like?

What style is the rest of your house?

What colors are you using in the rest of the house?

Bring in warmth via pattern, warm colors, and soft texture suitable to your chosen style.

If you post pics of the rest of your house OR inspirational pics with a style you like I'm sure you will get more ideas.

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both! I'm not a big curtain girl, so I have been avoiding that. I think what I crave is more color, which is why I was thinking about something on the wall. I'm also not a big accessorizer, which certainly doesn't help the situation! That said, here's a picture of the other side of the kitchen. You can see we painted it darker and did put come pictures up which incorporate some reds. I love that corner ... just not lovin' the window side (yet).

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

... and as suggested, here are some pics of the rest of the upstairs living areas. We like clean lines but not modern. Our taste is probably considered transitional bordering on contemporary Shaker, LOL.

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(another one)

• Kitch4me
    11 years ago

How about decorative plates on both sides?

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The living area

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

window treatments seem the most obvious

hanging plants in colorful pots (very 70s)

you could wall paper that wall?

Is the window new, or would you consider changing the window itself?

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

I love your paint! Can you share what color it is?

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

Sarah R is always saying how much softness curtains can bring in a space like a kitchen or bathroom whose surfaces all tend to be hard and sharp. IMHO your kitchen is screaming for softness and pattern. Both could be easily accomplished with window treatments. Your window is beautiful. It looks like it could accommodate a colorful cushion even. If not then I would go with plants.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Here's the thing.. I think you need something that spans that wall in order to bring in enough warmth to balance the cupboards. I see you don't care for curtains.. would you be open to blinds that are generally kept up? Even a small band of color at the top would be a help, I think. I am picturing a stripe with a heavy barn red component to it.. but there are many options. I am not big on "word signs".. but that's another way to get a band of warmth across that wall.

Is that a window seat? Are you open to putting pillows or a cushion on it?

Definitely think red.. it seems as every room you have has a touch of red and it provides some continuity.

Love your wishbone chairs.. around the breakfast table!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like your room the way it is, but see how some decorative touches will finish it off.
    I second the idea of hanging colorful plates. Three on one side and two on the other. We can all play with how they should be arranged.
    I also vote for a nice lamp with some red in the base for the buffet.
    Love the idea of a cushion on the window seat, although you really don't see much of it from where you took the picture.
    Again, colorful canisters with some red would bring the red around the room.
    Time to get shopping :)

• awm03
    11 years ago

I think a smallish art piece would look fine there, just keep the graphics simple. Looks like that's your tastes anyway, so you'll find something good. Perhaps some runners for the floors, and then call it a day. I like your home's clean lines & uncluttered feel -- very nice!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

One of my favorite looks is an island like your's with matching runners on each side of it. I think runners would definitely soften up the area, along with accessorizes.

• camlan
    11 years ago

You aren't going to be able to put up a very large piece of art, and I'm not sure that the size of the art you would be able to put up would give you the effect you want.

I'm with some of the other posters--some sort of window treatment, be it blinds, bamboo shades, or a valance. Perhaps cushions if that's a window seat.

I really like the colors in the rugs in the rest of your house (where did you get them?). Have you considered adding a rug in the kitchen, to bring your favorite colors in?

If that was my kitchen and I had that window, I'd seek out a largish piece of stained glass to hang in it. There are some lovely pieces that have a Arts & Crafts feel to them that, based on the patterns in your rugs, I think would work well in your house. You'd get some color and pattern and warmth at that end of the room, but wouldn't block the view much and you wouldn't have curtains, if you don't want them.

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, friends, for your ideas and lovely compliments. I like the "small band of color" idea. I definitely resonated with the concept of needing something soft, patterned to balance all the hard surfaces in this room. I will probably not bother with runners due to our active dog (lab/boxer cross). But the shades-which-always-stay-up are a good idea!

Happyladi, the paint colors are BM 1592 Blue Springs (lighter) and BM 1644 Blue Dusk (darker, breakfast nook). Glad you like 'em!

And yes, the window has a window seat but it doesn't show much. I have a couple of plants on it and have a hard time remembering to water them because they're out of sight most of the time. LOL (They are sorta gangly Christmas Cacti and don't look good on the little cabinet off to the right. I tried 'em there.)

I wish to heck I knew how to Photoshop -- I would definitely mock up a band of color so I could visualize it. One of these days!

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

How about some kitchen accessories (IKEA)? The Grundtal line comes also with little pots for herbs.
    Also, plants, dish towels, a rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: accessories

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

What seems missing in your photograph is any sign of a personal life being lived in the kitchen.

I think I'm seeing baseboard heat along your back wall, so Roman shades on your windows might be better than curtains - and they could have some color and pattern, even a simple stripe or diamond pattern, if you don't like prints,

While I applaud your neatness, and having everything put away, I think you might consider things like a row of cookbooks on the small cabinet on the right, a long rectangular planter of herbs in the bay, a set of canisters and a couple of crocks for hand tools along the stove wall counter, and perhaps a big pottery or wooden bowl on your island - things that make it look lived in and loved.

Instead of pictures, which are hard to keep from fading in the sunlight beside the big window, you might consider wall lamps or sconces there.

• lala girl
    11 years ago

What a great kitchen! Personally I think it needs some texture for warmth - and that could be with or without color depending on your style.

If it were me, I would be thinking about fabric or bamboo blinds for the window, a rug or 2, a leafy fern or small tree (it would love all of your gorgeous light) and a big chunky modern basket for the counter or buffet - those are the kinds of things that would balance all of those smooth hard surfaces and warm it up.

I love your clean spare style, so I don't think you need a lot of things, but a few well selected texture-heavy pieces would help the space come to life.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I think that large window is already framing a very large piece of art - the outdoors. So I would do something to enhance it with window treatments as suggested. It's not always going to be a snowy view out there and suspect with other seasons will add a great deal of warmth to your room. I love planting flowering things in front of my windows that don't block the view...in my area it's flowering red currant for spring, a witch hazel for winter blooms, a tea rose/climber that only reaches part way up the window for summer color, etc. So think about what picture you want that window to frame.

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I knew this was the right place to ask! TEXTURE is the thing I hadn't thought of. I thought I was just looking for a way to add color, but you all are right, different textures are certainly what we need to find a way to add. I am definitely guilty of trying to keep the space too sparse, though I have to tell you, it's usually "decorated" with mail and dishes and whatnot. LOL.

Nosoccermom, funny you should mention IKEA ... that's where we got our cabinets. I love the place and they do have neat textiles. Maybe a Marimekko fabric would work for Roman shades.

We actually don't get a whole lot of sun in the kitchen. Plenty of light, but not much sun, so herbs might not do so well but I like the idea!

I am going to look for a big, wooden, chunky basket for the small cabinet, maybe one of those baskets that are carved from tree root balls. I find those to be just gorgeous.

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, two things I missed in my post:

The rugs in the dining/living rooms are from Company C near us in Concord, NH. They have absolutely GORGEOUS, colorful stuff.

And "outside the window" is very green and lush in the spring/summer/fall. There are certainly a ton of colors out there. This kitchen is on the 2nd floor (we have a split-entry home, raised ranch, whatever you may call it), and this window looks out on a rise into the woods at the back of the property. It's one of the things I love the most about this house, all the woods and privacy despite being in a happy, busy neighborhood.

Again, thank you everyone! These are all such good ideas. I am grateful to you all for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

• User
    11 years ago

You are going to think I'm crazy, but I'd wallpaper that back wall with some type of texture in the same color that you have on the wall. Maybe a textured wallpaper that you paint, or a grasscloth. Something that looks touchable. And, paint the ceiling something other than white/white. I'd pull out one of the warm tones from your floor and lighten it up to paint the ceiling with. Maybe a very light peach, pink, or yellow.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

And because you have such a lovely view, I'd make the Roman shades wide enough to span the whole frame, and hang them from ceiling height, so that when they are pulled up, you cover only the top frame, and don't lose any of that great outlook or the light.

As I have said here over and over ad nauseum, 80% of the light comes through the top 20% of the window, so I know you don't want to lose it!

• Alice Johannen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bronwynsmom, I'd have never thought to hang the shades from ceiling height if you hadn't mentioned it. I absolutely do want to keep all the nice light that comes in. Do you think they should be wider than the window trim?

Greendesigns, those ideas are intriguing, although the thought of painting the ceiling again makes me want to curl up and cry! LOL