SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sailorgal_gw

Offer on Historic Home - help!

sailorgal
17 years ago

Greetings, everyone.....please tell me what you'd do!

1. Found an old victorian home that makes my heart go pitter-pat and thump-thump. Great lot, about 10 acres, in the country but still only 30 minute drive from where I work. House is on the National Register.

2. House is listed by Preservation society. Seller inherited property, lives in very expensive real estate area about 5 hours away. (NoVa)

3. House is intact in original condition (never subdivided or whatnot), but need to be completely, totally, rehabilitated. E.G., it needs new roof, new electric, new baths, new kitchen, you get the idea. Has original plaster walls, floors, doors, mantels,etc. Eight fireplaces, all the chimmneys capped.

4. Main probs - roof is leaking in one area and needs to be replaced ASAP; also a previous owner removed one of the foundation piers (to add furnace) and the house is stressing as a result. Stresses noticeable are mainly cracks in plaster and a bulge in one wall. House needs to have the pier replaced and foundation reinforced to correct the problem. Both of these problems need to be addressed immediately to stabilize the property. Even with this problem, there is only a very slight give in the floor, however - the house was extremely well built.

5. I hired a structural engineer and architectural firm, both specializing in historic rehabilitation, to inspect and give me a rough guess-estimate as to the cost to fix problems, and propose how the other pieces could be done in stages for budgeting.

6. The contractors came back with price guess-estimate. Price to DO the rehabilitation is within 50K of price that seller is asking! Here are the details:

The seller is asking $625K;

Total rehab estimate came in at $575K.

Note: Land tax value is $80K. House tax value is $90K.

6. So, seller's asking price is as if the house were already completely rehabilitated. One reason (I suspect) is that unless you look really closely at the property (as the engineer did), in general it looks to be in much better condition than it actually is. The plaster is in good shape generally; the cracks in it all radiate from the pier-removal location.

7. House is 3500 sq feet.

8. Median house price in area is $225K, but rising steadily. About the time I finish the rehab (10 years?) the property should be worth what the seller is asking NOW. There are some other old victorians in the area that are selling in the $500K range. But - they are already updated.

Would you offer, and if so, what?

Assume you are in love with the property...as I am...

Thanks in advance....

SailorGal.

Comments (12)