SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardurnit

Vintage Wood Frame - List of upgrades? New technology?

gardurnit
14 years ago

This is a different kind of post. I like new technology. I'm a scientist and aware of most new technoliges.

But I'm not aware of what's available in the marketplace. So I'm here wanting help.

The post is long but the above explains what I want.

Thank you.

--

What I am looking for help with:

I'm looking for some web sites that can help me with 'my old house' .

Product sites that cater to old frame buildings or sites that support people working on old frame buildings is

what I hope to find.

My home is in an area of about 50 similar homes. This kind of home is touted as being long lived.

see the videos

How Buildings Learn - Stewart Brand . youtube has 5 of them each 30min long

He says that old buildings that can change with their needs are the ones that last.

He points to the Painted Ladies in San Francisco where you see

many bright colored homes together having been used for rooming

houses, offices, private homes over the years

I've been to 'thisoldhouse.com' and found too much.

What I want to focus on today is the wood frame structure and finding sites

that cater to it. They should have new technology for this type of building.

I have to weigh the upgrades against the future rents or sale price of the property. *see below for description

About the house

The old home, I believe, is unique relative to the concrete slab 1 story homes

many people have in my town.

The fact that I have 9' ceilings, attic, basement and all wood construction tells me that my house might be

subject to unique improvements which benefit this type of house. Other unique qualities is lack of wall insulation

and in floor outlets for electricity and plumbing (in some cases).

I think this type of house would benefit from upgrades which might not work in other houses.

Examples are things to take advantage of the fact of having a basement. To me this means

access to all my utilities quickly.

Electric:

As an example I bought a power monitor which will easily install

because I have access to all my circuits along any spot in the run.

Water:

I expect to see grey water diversion devices available first for new homes then for homes where they're easily

added. My home is one of the easy to add because plumbing is so accessible. Grey water diversion means I

then need to have storage or treatment and this means more products to buy or sell to my kind of home.

Need for addition product purchases

If I wanted to add grey water diversion it would be easier in my house than most since my plumbing is

immediately visible from the basement. Second floor plumbing usually comes strait down to fit into the

existing plumbing and I can see it.

Signals:

Signals are things we should see soon where you monitor solar heating or cooling and wind (in some areas)

along with sensors for anything you might imaging ( moisture in the eves, attic temps, etc)

Description:

A thing we face is that homes like this 4000 sq ft are hard to rent or sell.

They're in a commercial neighborhood and are not suitable for families.

Often they're rented as group homes. Sometimes a business like an attorney will

buy it for an office. The area is changing finally after 35 years I've owned it.

I look forward to a better neighborhood utilization which can benefit from the location, size,

and lower cost of rents.

I know the house needs improvements to compete with properties which are new.

I have to weigh the upgrades against the future rents or sale price of the property.

Thanks for reading and recommending any sites you have been to. They can be product sites

that cater to old frame buildings or sites that support people working on old frame buildings.

Comments (5)