SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumngal_gw

Just sharing the beginning of our home polish!

autumngal
15 years ago

We've moved in a week and a half ago, had Christmas and now it's time to get to work!

We live in a lovely 1898 Victorian. It's not a very fancy one and doesn't seem to have a specific style. The people who built it seemed to be wealthy but frugal. We have some nice touches, but they didn't spend money on things they didn't need, like fancy doorknobs, which I accept but am a little sad about. The family that we purchased the house from owned it for about 60 years I think! They loved it and remodeled it a bit, but mainly kept it as it was, just painting and putting down carpet and wall paper. The main place they remoldeled was in the kitchen and I think the main remodel was done in the late 50's early 60's. So, we are bringing the kitchen up to date and making it a bit antique.

The sad thing about the kitchen is that they ripped out the plaster walls and old trim and moldings. However, since they left it everywhere else in the house, I'm not too upset about it. I took some photos of the whole thing, but thought that there would be people here would would actually enjoy looking at the little glimpses of the past that we peep into while pulling things down. Here are some photos, sorry, it's late and I haven't righted them all yet, but I think you'll get the idea:

This one is my favorite- you can see so many layers of time, and I think the greenish brown on the bottom was the original, which is very exciting.

Just a view of the DR through Butler's pantry to the kitchen, you can see the change of molding and trim. Hopefully, we'll be able to match it!

Thanks so much for letting me share, will post more as more happens.

Comments (12)