SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto4kids_gw

Orange...Breadlike-Something for Breakfast

momto4kids
14 years ago

On the first Monday of each school month, I've been baking muffins for our middle school teachers. "Muffin Monday" is now in it's second year! Last year, I took scones in several times. Huge hit. This year, I've added fruit trays and bagels (I don't make the bagels!).

For November, I've invited some of the teachers over to have a baking day to prepare for November's Muffin Monday. Some just want to practice baking muffins and scones. Others want to tackle something more.

I thought about trying Ann T's danish. I also thought about adapting the Onion Braided Bread (Annie's??) with a cinnamon-apple filling instead of onion. We'll make a few coffee cakes. I'll probably make some croissants, too.

People have been asking for something orange flavored. I'm at a loss. Does anyone have a T&T orange bread/loaf/muffin recipe? Anything? I think I'd prefer not to mix other fruits with it. Cranberry doesn't seem to go over well with this group.

Thanks! Deb

Comments (27)

• gbsim1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I absolutely love AnnT's danish and so I'd recommend adding a little orange rind (and maybe a splash of juice to the batter and some rind/orange oil to the Cream Cheese filling.

Grace

• susytwo
    14 years ago

I've been meaning to try the recipe below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Pumpkin Loaf from allrecipes.com

• Related Discussions

Breakfast at B&B

Q

Comments (18)
    foodonastump: the green chillies come in a small can about the same size as a small can of black olives. Usually they are in the Mexican food section. There is a choice of chopped or whole. I want to try the Fiesta Ole, too. It look good! We did the Apple Baked French Toast Saturday morning for the B&B guests. She has an apple tree; we were picking apples by flashlight! The guests loved it. My friend did the meat. She wrapped smoked sausages in bacon, topped it with brown sugar and baked it. There was a fruit cup (grapes, strawberries, pineapple and banana) and I made English Muffins. The experience was fun. The guests were interesting to visit with; some were first time guests and others had been coming for 12 years. I have one picture of the table and will post when I get the chance. Thanks for your recipes.
    ...See More

Something a little different: Breakfast

Q

Comments (8)
    :-) Thanks. One form or another of this is my breakfast, some three or four days each week. I've gotten to the point that I make a week's worth of individual servings up ahead and freeze them. Then set one out in the fridge the evening before to thaw and be ready for the fry pan the next morning. I keep a variety of precooked meat crumbles in the freezer, so I have a choice each morning for a little variety. I suppose one could add BBQ sauce or marinara and perhaps other vegetables such as brazed cauliflower (which I intend to try very soon). Cabbage always goes good with potatoes and onions, too. There are also corn, creamed or kernel and various types of beans, and even refried beans as well as a variety of hot sauces. I haven't branched out to those degrees yet, but there is even making a stew using cream of mushroom soup, I suppose. I like to cook in one pan, though, and just not get all that fancy about it. I tend to end up with one dish meals for myself.
    ...See More

Breakfast cookie recipes?

Q

Comments (14)
    Childhood memories with my Grandmother. For a few years when I was maybe 5-7 yrs, my parents would drop me off for the weekend. My older teen siblings would stay home with my aunt. My parent off to NYC north or DC west. Broadway show or symphony. Spoiled rotten as Grands do, we would have tea with a variety of biscuits seeming so exotic. (saltines at home). They were purchased but I have memory of a few that can be made at home. My cracker, flatbread, Irish breakfast biscuit file, is extensive. I doubt this is what you are looking for but this is a favorite less sweet tea biscuit. Link, HERE I pulse my oats for a finer texture. And have replaced some of the oats with toasted oat bran but have not stocked that for a while. Sometimes flax meal and chia seed. Replaced half the oats with corn flour that was good. (not corn starch) I used to make biscotti but have changed things up with small corn cakes and drop scones. Choices in the small freezer 'tid-bit' drawer. I also like Nigel Slaters quick drop scones. Link, HERE More savory and not a traditional scone but good for a quick grab from the freezer. 5 minute heat-up in a back burner baby pan. 2020 in reflection, has been a trying year, though we have tried different things outside of the comfort repetitive zone. When we were both home, early on in lock-down, scrambling an egg was a chore. Stress I guess. And a big lack of appetite. Low motivation?. Then a rush of baking would yield choices. Freezer choices.
    ...See More

Breakfast Area Built in Wall Shelf - Empty or ???

Q

Comments (2)
    It looks fine without anything on it!
    ...See More
  • lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I do have a fantastic T&T organge nut loaf recipe, a CF hit, but I'm at work so I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to post it. It is easy, and uses a whole orange! I posted it a few years back around the holidays but I can't find it using the search engine. Maybe someone saved it. But for sure I will post it tonight. It's especially yummy with cream cheese spread over it. I have it for afternoon tea often in the winter.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Somewhere I have an orange tea roll....can't find the "recipe" but it's a basic brioche roll...with some grated orange rind added and marmalade for a filling, rolled up cut and baked like a cinnamon roll and frosted with a cream cheese frosting with some grated orange peel.
    Then I have another quick bread which uses undiluted frozen orange juice and I think chopped pecans and currents....also can be used for muffins.
    Dang...I wonder who else might have that recipe?

• User
    14 years ago

Deb, the danish is good with the addition of orange zest or lemon zest in the dough.

Also, I found this recipe on line today for an Sicilian Orange Cake on The Little Teochew Blog. It looks and sounds wonderful. No reason why you couldn't make muffins/cupcakes using this recipe.

I recently made my cornbread muffins and adjusted the recipe adding orange zest and raspberries. Would be just as good without the berries too.

Cornbread Muffins
    =================

I have a number of cornbread recipes that I make but this is the most tender, melt in your mouth cornbread recipe You can make it in muffin tins, loaf pan or a springform pan

1 egg
    1/2 Cup melted butter
    1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    1 Cup milk, warmed
    1 Cup cake flour
    2/3 Cup yellow cornmeal
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 Teaspoon salt
    3 Tablespoons sugar ( increased to 1/2 cup)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Handful of fresh or frozen raspberries/blueberries/blackberries
    Zest from one orange

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Beat the egg, melted butter and the oil until well blended. Stir in the milk. In a separate bowl, blend the cake flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add to the egg mixture and stir until just blended. This is a very light, loose batter. Spoon into desired pan and bake until golden. (Sprinkle tops with a little sugar.) If making muffins this will take 15 to 20 minutes to bake. It will take longer in a loaf pan or a springform pan. Three small loaf pans.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Blueberry Oatmeal Squares
    =========================

Source: Canadian Living Magazine August 2007

2 1/2 cups rolled oats (NOT Instant)
    1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon grated orange rind
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup cold butter, cubed

Filling

3 cups fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup orange juice
    4 tsp. cornstarch

Filling Directions:

In saucepan, bring blueberries, sugar and orange juice to boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Whisk constarch with 2 tablespoons water; whisk into blueberries and boil, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Place plastic wrap directly on surface and refrigerate until cool, about one hour.

In a large bowl, whisk together oats, flour, sugar, orange rind and salt; with pastry blender, cut in butter until coarse crumbs. Press half into 8 inch square parchment paper-lined metal cake pan; spread with blueberry filling. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture,pressing lightly.

Bake in centre of 350F oven until light golden, about 45 minutes. Let cool on rack before cutting into squares.

Make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.

• stacy3
    14 years ago

here's Lpink's recipe! I admit, I never made it, but I saved it - glad I was reminded of it!

Orange Loaf - lpinkmountain

Bake in 9x5x3 inch greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for 1 hour
    1 small seedless orange, washed and unpeeled (I used a navel orange, no seeds).
    6 oz. pitted dates
    orange juice
    1/2 cup hot water
    2 TBLSP butter
    1 egg
    2 cups flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts
    **I also added 1 T of ground cinnamon, 1 tsp of ground nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp of ground cloves.
    Combine orange and dates in a food processor until finely ground. Just do it, trust me, it will turn out good!
    Combine juice drained off of orange and date mixture with enough extra orange juice to make 1/2 cup. In a saucepan, heat juice, water and butter until butter melts. When cooled, add the egg and date/orange mixture.
    Combine this liquid mixture with the rest of the dry ingredients and nuts. Bake in a greased loaf pan one hour at 350 until cakes tests done. Makes 3 mini loaves, 2 small loaves, or 1 large loaf.

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmmmm mmmmmm! These ideas all sound good! I think I'll give a couple of these a test drive this weekend! I bought some oranges to play around with...so now you've given me some inspiration!! Thank you!!!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Yes that's my recipe, thank you Stacy!! I have used clementines that I de-seeded too. They have thinner skin. Some types of navels that you get have awfully thick bitter skin. But I have used navels to good effect with this bread. You just don't want a big old dried out orange. You could maybe use raisins instead of dates for the dried fruit, but it is super yummy with the dates. I've not tried it with raisins, I'm just guessing. Some people don't like raisins though. That would be my dad, one of the pickiest eaters on the planet. He will eat raisins plain, but not IN anything. Go figure.

• fearlessem
    14 years ago

Wait wait wait! I have the perfect thing! Almost 9 years ago I first made an impression on my now husband when I brought this Orange Bubble Bread (same as a Monkey bread) to the quaker meeting where we met.

It is truly a fantastic recipe, not to mention that I think it has good karma attached from being the kick-off recipe of our happy marriage!

Emily

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

A recipe that I've had for years--don't remember where I got it from--Southern Living magazine, maybe?

Spicy Mandarin Orange Muffins

1 can (11 oz) mandarin orange segments
    1 1/2 c. flour
    2 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. salt
    3/4 t. nutmeg [Use less nutmeg if you're grating it fresh]
    1/4 t. allspice
    Shake of cinnamon
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/3 c. shortening or butter
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1/4 c. milk

Drain orange segments well & spread on paper towels while making batter.

Sift dry ingred. into bowl. Cut in shortening until very fine. Combine egg & milk. Add all at once. Mix just until moistened. Add orange segments. Mix lightly. Bake in 3/4 full muffin cups for 20-25 minutes @ 350.

While muffins are baking, combine 1/4 c. sugar w/ 1/2 t. cinnamon. Melt 1/4 butter.

After removing muffins from oven, dip muffin tops in butter & then in cinnamon/ sugar mixture.

[I save the juice from the mandarin oranges & either mix it into orange juice or freeze it to use later in Jello or w/ pineapple juice for stir fry sauces.]

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I'm making orange bubble bread today- that looks yummy!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I made a tangerine muffin that missed the mark by just a little, but I never went back to it to perfect it.

Ann T's Danish is delicious and easy, I bake them and put them in the freezer for "emergencies", LOL. I think one would be delicious with the cream cheese filling and a layer of orange marmalade, maybe a bit of rind in the dough.

I admit that I like lemon better than I like orange, but now I'm wondering if nearly any lemon recipe couldn't be converted to an orange recipe, maybe with a bit more orange because the last is milder.

Deb the Onion Braid is "mine", actually, I got it from Readinglady who got it from King Arthur's Baking Sheet, I think. I'll bet it would be good with an apple filling too.

I also have a recipe "to try" for a yeast based cinnamon bread that includes pumpkin, I think it'll make awesome toast.

It's very nice of you to make goodies for the teachers, I'm sure they appreciate it a lot. I know I would.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I've also had good cinnamon roll type pastries with more of an orange glaze orangey filling kind of thing. I don't do cinnamon rolls so I don't have a recipe. Man, that bubble bread almost makes me want to mess with dough. Almost, but I know where that leads.

• maggie2094
    14 years ago

I adore this recipe and is great u can keep the batter in the fridge and bake on demand - they have a great hearty texture - lots of good things for breakfast...and the batter is so pretty.

Fruity Orange Refrigerator Muffins
    (Pillsbury Recipe by Pillsbury)

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
    * 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
    * 2 cups shreds of whole bran cereal
    * 1 1/2 cups sugar
    * 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon allspice
    * 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
    * 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
    * 1/2 cup oil
    * 2 eggs, slightly beaten
    * 1 (6-oz.) pkg. dried fruit bits

1. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine allpurpose flour, whole wheat flour, cereal, sugar, baking soda, baking powder,salt, allspice and orange peel. Add buttermilk, oil and eggs; mix well. Stirin fruit bits. Cover tightly; refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 2 weeks.
    2. To bake, heat oven to 400°F. Grease desired number of muffin cups or line
    3. with paper baking cups; spoon batter into prepared muffins cups filling
    4. 3/4 full. Bake at 400°F. for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in
    5. center comes out clean.

I have an orange bread recipe I got with my shipment of florida oranges from Gregory's orchids. I will look for it! Havne't tried it yet but maybe I'll try it this weekend.

• obxgina
    14 years ago

Deb, I make Nancy's Lemon Blueberry Bread frequently, my family loves it. I often sub orange for lemon and it comes out delicious!

Lemon Blueberry Bread
    Topping
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    1/2 stick unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    Batter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 stick unsalted butter
    1 egg
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups blueberries
    1 tablespoon lemon zest
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 9x5 loaf pan. Stir topping ingredients together til smooth, set aside. Stir sugar, milk, butter and egg together until smooth. Toss flour with baking powder and salt. Stir into wet ingredients then fold in berries and 1 Tbsp lemon zest. Transfer to pan, sprinkle with topping. Bake 50 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

I make Lpink's Orange Loaf every year for the holidays...it's WONDERFUL!

Very easy and gets better a few days after baking (flavors blend). It was my MIL's favorite.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Cold & rainy here today so I made Fearlessem's Orange Bubble Bread. Definitely a keeper! (Added about a teaspoon of cinnamon & more sugar to the orange/ sugar mixture.) Very, very good recipe.

[Used an angel food tube pan--DON'T do that!! Prolly cause I used more sugar, it leaked a sugar mess onto the bottom of my oven. Next time, I'll use the Bundt pan.]

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I made the Orange Bubble bread today too, Amazing!!!
    My notes:
    -I had to melt an additional tablespoon of butter to finish dipping all 24 pieces.
    -The zest of one large navel orange was perfect. About 1/4-1/3 cup.
    -A bit more sugar was needed too for rolling.
    -35 minutes at 350 was just perfect.
    -I added 1 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter to the glaze.
    -Combined milk, sugar, salt, butter and water in a sauce pan and brought to very steaming until butter melted. Cooled to 115 degrees.
    -Added 1 tablespoon of zest to the dough.
    -The aluminum tube pan was just right but did leak a little.
    -Mixed egg with cooled milk mixture in KA mixing bowl with a hand whisk. Then added rapid rise yeast and bread flour. Kneaded some with dough hook.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Here's my personal contribution..

Orange Glazed Cranberry-Pumpkin Bread

I found this recipe online. It is one of the quick breads, I put on holiday trays. This is a wonderful moist spicy bread with a tangy Orange Glaze.

3 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 2/3 cups sugar

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1 -16 ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce

1 -15 ounce can pumpkin -- NOT pumpkin pie mix

4 large eggs -- lightly beaten

2/3 cup vegetalbe oil

3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Orange Glaze:

1 cup sifted powdered sugar

1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate -- thawed

1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

Combine 1st six ingredients in al large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine cranberry sauce and next 3 ingredients; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended. Stir in walnuts. Pour batter into 2 greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for a 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.

To make glaze, combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and stir until smooth. Drizzle with orange glaze.

Source: "1997 America's Best Recipes, pg.88" Yield: 2 loaves

• fearlessem
    14 years ago

So glad a few have you liked that orange bubble bread recipe! I forgot to mention that I always just make the dough in my kitchenaid mixer -- I forget that it was originally listed as a bread-machine dough recipe... I haven't made it in a year or so... Time for me to make it again soon!

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Might I suggest rugalach? It is so good, perfectly sized and guaranteed to be a hit. My fave recipe is below. You can't miss with raspberry jam and mini choc. chips. Want orange? Make marmelade rugalach.
    Jo

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I tried a recipe this weekend for a yogurt cake that has an orange glaze on it. It's wonderful! I made 3 mini loaves from this recipe:

Vanilla Yogurt Cake with Orange Glaze

1 egg
    1 egg yolk
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 vanilla bean, seed scraped out, pod discarded
    1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    zest of 1/2 orange
    1-2/3 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    7 oz. Greek yogurt
    4 tablespoon orange juice, divided

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two 6 x 3.2 x 3.4 inch loaf pans with baking spray. Or coat with butter and flour.

Using a stand mixer (or a large bowl and and electric hand mixer), beat together the egg, egg yolk, and sugar on medium-high speed, until it turns pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla beans, vanilla extract, oil and zest, beat another minute, until fully incorporated.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

With the mixer on low speed, add half the amount of dry ingredients. Then add half the amount of Greek yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of the orange juice. Add remaining dry ingredients and followed by the remaining yogurt, reserving 2 tablespoons of orange juice for brushing on loaves when hot. Remove from mixer and finish mixing by hand using a spatula until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes.

Remove from oven. Using a toothpick or large wooden skewer poke holes into the cake. Using a pastry brush, brush orange juice over hot loaves.

Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan. Place on wire rack to finish cooling. When cool, glaze cakes.

Orange Glaze
    2 cups sifted powdered sugar
    6 tablespoons orange juice
    zest of 1/2 orange

Combine the two ingredients together with a whisk. Pour over cakes.

Adapted from http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/2009/10/19/like-taffy/#comment-61940

Lori

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! I tried Ann T's Corn Muffins, sans fruit, and Lpink's Orange Loaf. Both were excellent!

I love every one of the other recipes...now I've got to figure out when I can try them! I'll probably make a couple of them tomorrow. I need more oranges!

Thanks everyone!

And Lori...I just want to lap up that glaze. Yummy!!!

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chocolate chip scones
    Pumpkin scones
    Vanilla scones
    Cream cheese walnut scones
    Maple pecan scones
    Rosemary pepper jack cheddar scones
    Chocolate-chocolate chip muffins
    Cappuccino muffins
    Mini challah
    Vanilla yogurt cake with orange glaze
    Orange bubble bread
    Orange loaf
    Lemon loaf
    Apple filled braided bread
    Cream cheese danish
    Brown sugar/cinnamon danish
    Old-fashioned coffee crumbcake
    Large fruit tray (strawberries, grapes, melon, cantaloupe, pineapple)

I know I'm forgetting something! We had cinnamon chips and now they're gone. I don't remember what they went into...and I don't think it was the danish!

We had six bakers. All the ovens were fired up, but nothing on the stovetop. We only spent 4 hours, but I started the danish dough last night and the challah this morning. We got everything sliced, plated, wrapped, cleaned by about 5:30. What a ball! It was so much fun! I couldn't believe the amount of food we produced. No one had a camera! :( My batteries ran out yesterday at the girls' cheer competition and I completely forgot to charge them up. I have to go set everything up in the morning, so I hope to take pictures then. I especially wanted to "show off" the mini challah. We rolled the dough into three 1-inch balls and dropped them into tulip papers resting inside mini panettone glassine papers (King Arthur for both). They were beautiful! We also did the crumbcake in the 4-inch round glassine papers. None of the gals had used these before...so it was a real treat for them.

We, of course, sampled just about everything. The only thing that didn't make it onto a final platter for school was the Orange Bubble Bread!! We only made one and it was gone after the quality control testing! LOL!

Many, many thanks to everyone who helped me out with recipes! It was a VERY successful day!! The kitchen is clean. The kids are in bed. Now I'm calling it a day!

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep. I did it. I went off this morning without my camera and my fully-charged battery. I did, however, remember the tablecloth this time, so I was happy. The table looked great. The teachers and staff were overwhelmed (in a good way) by the variety...and now they're making requests! LOL!

We (the bakers) quickly decided we would all get together on the Sunday preceding the first Monday of EACH school month and bake the goodies. That works out great for me because now I'll have helpers every month! Plus, it was great fun. The teachers got a big kick out of baking, especially the novices.

(I did manage to sneak a few more bites this morning and it was still wonderful!)

• User
    14 years ago

Wow!!! I'm impressed. What a wonderful array of baked goods.
    Deb, You have the perfect kitchen for this type of large quantity baking.

Ann

• fearlessem
    14 years ago

Deb --

What a fantastic event! I am totally stunned by how much you all made, and to think you got it all done in just four hours! Now I want to see a picture of the kitchen that's big enough to produce all of it...

Its just a wonderful thing you're doing for the teachers -- I'm sure it gives them such a boost!

Emily