Breakfast cookie recipes?

l pinkmountain

Anyone make something like these? I just threw out some stale Bellvita "breakfast cookies," they were a bit like an oatcake, which is a Scottish thing. Then there's biscotti or the Italian style ones that I used to get from Stella D'oro. Some were biscuit shaped and some were s-shaped. I saw a video of Clara Cannucciari making them (from "Depression Era Cooking" fame), but I haven't tried her recipe yet. I vaguely remember my grandmother making something like fryske dumkes, which are from the Netherlands. Anyone make any cookies that are mostly eaten as a coffee snack at breakfast time? Usually sweet but not overly. Anyone have any recipes to share?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fawnridge (Ricky)

Every cookie we bake we eat for breakfast. I was unaware that a specific recipe exists for a "breakfast cookie." I like my first cookie around 4:20am.

5 Likes Save    
l pinkmountain

Save    
sushipup1

Any good oatmeal raisin cookie is 1000% better than a bowl of hot oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins.

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

There was a thread on this here awile back - maybe 4 or 5 years ago. And, there was one recipe from that post that my grandson use to make all the time to take to school for a mid day snack. I'll try to get it from him.

Save    
l pinkmountain

Oy, it might have been me who started the thread . . . I haven't had the heart to attempt to recover all my old recipes from a disk from my old computer . . . meanwhile my Mom died and I'm working my way through her clipped recipe folder . . .

I often eat oatmeal cookies for breakfast. Same mostly as a bowl of oatmeal, which I also often eat. Just looking to expand my breakfast baked goods repertoire. I usually drink my morning coffee with a little something a bit sweet when I first get up, and then later have a more substantial breakfast with protein. I know Italians often just have coffee and a breakfast cookie. My usual is a muffin, and I have been known to eat a sweet roll or scone but lately I have not been wanting to bake all that much. It goes bad on us before we eat it all. That's why I was thinking something I could keep in a tin like a cookie. I used to buy biscotti but can't afford that anymore. I have a couple of recipes for those that I have made so I was trying to think of some other things and those Italian s-shaped cookies came to mind . . . Some folks also eat a variation on a granola or energy bar, I have one recipe for something like that but it was only "meh" to my taste.

This was the one recipe I tried to make for an energy bar, from Michael Chiarello. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/michaels-energy-bars-recipe-1915200

Save    
JoanM

I completely forgot I had Stella Doro breakfast treats in the pantry. Thanks! These are very almond flavored. It says breakfast treat right on the package. LOL

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Childhood memories with my Grandmother. For a few years when I was maybe 5-7 yrs, my parents would drop me off for the weekend. My older teen siblings would stay home with my aunt. My parent off to NYC north or DC west. Broadway show or symphony.

Spoiled rotten as Grands do, we would have tea with a variety of biscuits seeming so exotic. (saltines at home). They were purchased but I have memory of a few that can be made at home. My cracker, flatbread, Irish breakfast biscuit file, is extensive.

I doubt this is what you are looking for but this is a favorite less sweet tea biscuit.

Link, HERE

I pulse my oats for a finer texture. And have replaced some of the oats with toasted oat bran but have not stocked that for a while. Sometimes flax meal and chia seed. Replaced half the oats with corn flour that was good. (not corn starch)

I used to make biscotti but have changed things up with small corn cakes and drop scones. Choices in the small freezer 'tid-bit' drawer.

I also like Nigel Slaters quick drop scones. Link, HERE

More savory and not a traditional scone but good for a quick grab from the freezer. 5 minute heat-up in a back burner baby pan.

2020 in reflection, has been a trying year, though we have tried different things outside of the comfort repetitive zone. When we were both home, early on in lock-down, scrambling an egg was a chore. Stress I guess. And a big lack of appetite. Low motivation?. Then a rush of baking would yield choices. Freezer choices.

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

" ,,, good for a quick grab from the freezer. 5 minute heat-up in a back burner baby pan."

Please explain. I'm always looking for a better way to heat-up frozen foods.

Save    
l pinkmountain

Ah yes, the "digestive" cookie. I think perhaps a precursor to the graham cracker . . . I'm totally game to try . . . have you made them? I'm shuddering already at the thought of hauling out the rolling pin, but I already knew that I was going to have to bite the bullet and engage in some type of shaping for this kind of cookie . . .

Save    
maddielee

Here’s a thread, with recipes, from a couple years ago.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2464813/breakfast-cookies#n=15

Save    
CA Kate z9

Found the one I was talking about:

Almond Coconut Bars
Adapted from The Yummy Life

MEDIUM

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 20

Ingredients:
2 cups whole toasted unsalted almonds
2 cups unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
½ cup crispy rice cereal
1 tablespoon flaxseed
½ cup honey
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1. Combine toasted almonds, coconut, rice cereal and flaxseed in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Combine honey, brown rice syrup, salt and vanilla in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches 260°F on a candy thermometer (hard ball stage).
3. Immediately pour this syrup over nuts and stir until evenly coated.
4. Quickly transfer mixture to a greased 9”x13” baking sheet and spread evenly.
5. Cool for twenty minutes.
6. Cut into twenty bars.
7. Wrap bars individually in parchment paper and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Save    
lindac92

Biscotti are not rocket science....Time consuming but this makes a lot.

Biscotti Di Prato

3 3/4 C all purpose flour (stirred till fluffy before measuring)
2 C sugar
1 tsp double acting baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla ( or 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract if using
almonds)
1 2/3 c almonds or hazel nuts coarse chopped and lightly toasted.
eggwash

Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
whisk together eggs, yolks and extracts, add eggs, etc to flour mixture and
stir until a dough forms (looks like it can never happen... but keep
working it...it will. I sometimes add a VERY little sprinkling of water)
add nuts, turn out on a non-stick surface ( I use a marble board or my
formica rolling board) and knead 3 or 4 times. Divide into fourths and
shape each piece into a 11 x 2 in. log ( make it "tall" as they
flatten
while baking) Place on buttered and floured baking sheets, brush with egg
wash (egg yolk whisked with 1 T water). Bake at 350 for 35 min and cool 20
min. Slice 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Place on clean baking sheets ( cut side
down) and bake 10 or 12 minutes at 275. turn pieces over and bake another
10 minutes. If you want to make them extra fancy, dip half a slice in
melted chocolate and sprinkle with finely chopped nuts. You can make bigger
'scottis by making two thicker logs, but be sure to leave room for spread.

Best dipped in tea or coffee....or best yet in a sweet dessert wine!

Enjoy! Linda

1 Like Save    
ghostlyvision

I found this recipe yesterday and made it, they came out really well, I decreased the sugar (by not adding the granulated, just the brown sugar) and formed them into 12 'patties' and baked for about 14 minutes, until lightly browned, they make great breakfast cookies.

Oatmeal Carrot Cookies

1.5 cup old-fashioned oats

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 large egg

1 cup shredded carrots See note

1/2 cup chopped nuts if desired

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk cooled butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla and whisk well. Add carrots and nuts and stir in.

Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated.

Cover bowl with cookie dough and chill for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Scoop cookie dough with 1.5 tablespoon size cookie scoop. Place 2" apart on sheet.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Nine minutes was my magic number.

https://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/carrot-cookies/

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I like my first cookie around 4:20am.

And then take a nap around 5:30? lol

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Holidays Holiday Recipe: Warm Up the Kitchen With Danish ‘Aebleskiver’
If they aren’t already, these holiday breakfast treats may become a new family tradition
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Recipes: Secret Ingredients of 5 One-of-a-Kind Cooking Spaces
Learn what went into these cooks’ kitchens — and what comes out of them
Full Story
Before and Afters See How This Cookie-Cutter Kitchen Gets Infused With Personality
Before and after: The Pennsylvania kitchen becomes a handsome space with bold green cabinets
Full Story