SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmwbcc

HELP! Need advice on island. Does it block the flow? Pic.

dmwbcc
14 years ago

Okay, our builder has agreed to modify an island for us in our new construction home. I THOUGHT we had it under control, but now it's all crazy again.

This picture is how it NORMALLY would be. This is a MODEL home. Not our home. What we've proposed is to enlarge the island base to accomodate a "built in" microwave that we'll do later ourselves. To enlarge the base and still keep the overhangs we desire for seating on 2 sides, the island top has to get bigger. I am now concerned about FLOW.

As you see in the pic, there are the banisters that are on either side of the walkway into the kitchen. Right now the island lines up just to the inside of that walkway, no obstruction.

Here is another angle, as you can see, it doesn't obstruct anything much. Don't laugh at the view of the toilet, please. ;)

Now, if we extend the island to the left, more in line with the fridge or so, it takes up "half" the walkway. There is about 3'2" from the edge of the countertop to the edge of the banister/stair"

Will this just mess up flow in a bad way, or is it not that awkward? To further complicate, we won't have these banisters, we'll have 24" "half wall" capped with wood. So our view won't have the banisters as a factor.

The walkway cannot be moved.

I'm literally losing sleep over this and I am sure my previously strong marriage might have met it's match!!!!

HELP!!!

Comments (24)