SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

What's the best gift you ever gave or got?

pinktoes
16 years ago

I thought it might be interesting and helpful in generating creative thinking if we would tell about a favorite gift. Either given or received. I'll go first:

One of the most valued gifts I ever gave someone (I know because my mom keeps telling me how it gets shown to everyone) was for my stepdad's 80th birthday. I wanted to give him 80 of something. And we don't spend over $40. to $50. even on our parents, so I was stumped. What could we afford 80 of??

But he is a huge history buff and also has a wry sense of humor. And always complains that he needs a bookmark. So, I spend several months, here and there, gathering favorite quotations/aphorisms I knew he'd appreciate. That was fun for me, too. Then I bought blank bookmarks at Michael's, made of ivory cardstock. In my best handwriting I wrote out 80 separate aphorisms, each on a bookmark. Tied them together with raffia and piled them in a tiny basket (I'd have gone elegant with the container, but he's a natural gardening guy, so this was more "him").

He was absolutely stunned that I had put so much thought into it. It's not turned out to be very useful, however, because he won't use the bookmarks. He keeps them in their original basket to--I don't know. Show off (?!); read; look at.

So, can you share a favorite gift--given or received??

Comments (9)