SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

What's your favorite gift you *gave* this Christmas?

alisande
12 years ago

Forgive the double posting (with the Christmas crafts thread), but the favorite gift I gave this year is definitely the photo book I made of all our family pets since 1968, the year we acquired our first dog (before the kids were born). I gave my daughter, son, and granddaughter a copy each, and gave one to myself, too. I told them it was the most labor-intensive gift they'll get this year. :-)

Here are the front and back covers:

What's your favorite of the presents you gave this year?

Comments (41)

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Ski trip to Park City Utah for gs and dad.

Not yet given due to son being sick :o(

• nanny98
    12 years ago

Having most of my family together when a just a couple of weeks ago we were "south for the winter". Came home and pulled a fab meal and memorable day together. It could only be better if the rest of the family could have been here. I'm feeling very blessed and grateful.

• Related Discussions

What has been your favorite Birthday gift - cooking or food relat

Q

Comments (26)
    This is a totally different idea, but I wanted to mention it because I recently rediscovered my immersion blender. I wanted something I could take out of town with me that was small and easy to pack, and...I know this would sound odd to some...offered a little bit of ''help'' in case I decided I wanted to bake. (A readily-available kitchen is a good thing.) Anyway, I realized my immersion blender (Kitchen Aid) had a whip attachment (like a miniature hand-mixer) that I'd never used. Eureka! Of course I had to try it out, and it works beautifully. If your friend doesn't have one, she would probably love it for blending soups, making smoothies or chopping things. The best part is they're not terrible expensive. (FYI; maybe not for now, but for the future.)
    ...See More

What's Your Best "Find" on a Gift You're Giving This Christmas?

Q

Comments (10)
    I work at a grocery store and as you know they carry much more than just groceries now... After mid summer they started marking down summer stuff. I got a popup screened in "house" enough for a table and couple of chairs for my DD and her DH. Was over 50.00 got it for 7.50. They love to go camping and it will be great for shaded/bug free hanging out and for the dogs too. I also got them a BIG umbrella for the patio table, for 10.00. They will be surprised and happy come next summer. Those were the big buys for them. I got a bunch of other things, a set of tupperware(told me at Thanksgiving they don't have lids anymore for what they have) they all snap together for space saving. Got 28 piece set for 8.00. Regular price was 19.99. Stuff like that. Practical but good buys. Got a good friend a really cute iron ware decorated piece. She likes yard art stuff and she can hang this outside. It was 15.00. got it for 3.00. Really pretty piece. So check out your grocery stores come seasonal change.... you will find some good bargains!
    ...See More

Gifts you gave that were a big hit.. list yours

Q

Comments (23)
    We gave my younger son a new chainsaw...the older one got the equivalent of cash...those were both well received...now if it would just warm up a bit so DS can get out there and saw up some wood for our fireplaces... I was at a small leather store in Indiana in september and had a notebook made for my hubster with his name on it...he writes everything down for work and really loved it...We gave my son and his gf dollars for a cruise this summer and they loved that! I sent my sister an 11 x 14 framed picture of her entire family from their 60th Wedding anniversary party in October plus a bunch of 8 x 10's of their individual children and families...She was thrilled...the photographer they hired was charging astronomical prices for enlargements so I made her day!
    ...See More

Do you lose your Christmas gifts?

Q

Comments (26)
    Yes! I lose Christmas gifts! I had a very busy day yesterday with a short window of time to wrap lots of presents while my son was at the babysitter. I have a genetic defect which makes me put things away in hiding spots and then forget where I've put them. My mother passed this gene on to me. I remember lots of holiday dinners where she remembered the rolls in the oven after we'd all begun eating, etc. She also buys "C" batteries at the store only to get home and find that they've changed into "AA" size batteries, and so on. Yup, me too. I buy 3 packages of Large undershirts for my husband only to get home and find out that I've got 2 "large" and one "Extra Small". So I finally found all of my wrapables yesterday and got everything done in record time! And I was smart enough to put ALL of the wrapped gifts in one big box in the closet. Oh, except for the space heater for my husband's ice-fishing shack. That was too big to put in the gift box so I put it in the closet and hid it under a coat. I'm SURE I won't forget to put it out on Christmas Eve with the rest of the presents........maybe a kind Kitchen Table person can remind me????
    ...See More
  • lovemymimi
    12 years ago

What a fantastic gift idea alisande and one that will be treasured for years. You just gave me an idea for gift giving in 2012...thanks!

Glenda...sorry to hear about your son being ill. Hope he recovers quickly so you can give him his "awesome" gift to Park City, Utah!

Nanny...glad you got to spend the "gift of time" together with your family.

We gave our son a guitar...he's one happy guy!

• dotmom
    12 years ago

Son, Scott & Sue, were thrilled with the surf & turf we gave them. They put the two steaks and lobster tails in their freezer and said that will be their New Years Eve dinner,
    A funny thing, Daughter and I gave each other the same movie....The Help. It was a very, very nice Christmas,

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Over the years my eldest son has mentioned several times that he would like a certain pen but that he couldn't justify buying it for himself when he had other bills to pay. I happened to find it on sale and gave him both the pen and the fountain pen and had his initials engraved on them. He was thrilled.

Speaking of photo albums - my middle son gave me a photo album too and prints of the 312 photos I took while the two of us were in Ireland in October. And he also gave me a custom 2012 calendar with my photos printed inside - and he even took the time to find photos that would go with major holidays and family birthdays. For Memorial Day he used a photo of Kilmainham Gaol and for St. Pat's day he selected a photo of his Mom sipping a pint of Guinness while in the Guinness Store in Dublin.

• jannie
    12 years ago

We got an unexpected IRS refund check for over $3000. we gave $500 cash to each of our two daughters, had some body work done on our car and are saving the rest for emergencies.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

DD is always talking about all the "friends" on Facebook that she has made from her High School. People she barely or never new when she went to school. Last month I spent about 8 hours cleaning the attic. I came across all her yearbook albums and thought she'd get a kick out of seeing what these people looked like 30 years ago so I wrapped the books up and gave them to her for Christmas along with her high school diploma and her baby book. She got a kick out of it.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

A bad of sunflower seeds for the birds? I gave that to my Mom. We are past the "knockout" gift stage of life.

You all are quite creative with your gifts!

• heather_on
    12 years ago

My favourite was a bunch of handmade greeting cards that I had worked on throughout the year and gave my sister.

• houstonmom_gw
    12 years ago

Probably the leaf blower I gave to DH. He didn't know I realized ours had broken. Seeing him rake our front and side yard (we're on a corner), and hearing him mention how his back was hurting made me realize a new leaf blower would be perfect!

I also gave gift cards to my DD, and cash to my 3 sons. They got a kick out of the cash gifts because I made a money tree for my oldest, his twin got a bag of "dough" and my youngest got cold hard cash...AKA baggies and plastic ware containers holding bills and submerged into a large container. Didn't take him long to thaw it!

• chisue
    12 years ago

Susan -- Oh, those darling little-boy PANTS! Every so often something catches my memory of those precious years with our DS. He's now 40 and father of two. (Doesn't stop DH from commenting after Christmas Eve that he needs a haircut. lol)

You have the greatest ideas for creative gifts and the talent to make them real.

• Holly_ON
    12 years ago

Heather's cards are priceless and very admired by all the recipients. She has done this for several years now. It is so nice not to make the trip to the store when the need arises for a special card.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Sue! My son is 33 now, and baby Joey's father. My oldest, Suzanne, is the mother of Lizzie, my granddaughter--the girl who is recovering from this summer's injuries. One of the many things I love about the pets book is that Liz is in some of the pictures with the same pets her mother was pictured with (if that sentence makes sense). The book is about the dogs and cats (103 photos, 4,500 words), but it turned out to be a family album, too.

I love Heather's idea for the greeting cards!

• samkaren
    12 years ago

I made paintings for all our student workers. I told them to pick out whatever design they liked and the colors.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

My daughter is struggling financially. I electronically transfered over $600 to her bank so she could get the timing belt, water pump, etc., replaced on her car engine. The belt replacement was long overdue and she was aware of this and worried. Her engine is an "interference" type. A broken belt could have trashed the engine. She immediately made a date with her favorite garage and began to sleep better at night after the belt was replaced.

• pam_25f
    12 years ago

The Christmas stocking I did for my sister. We did them for years and years for our family. We stopped some time ago because we were spending too much money and she is dependent on me to drive her places so she couldn't do much on her own. But stockings were a big part of our childhood fun. When we brought her home Christmas Eve, I brought the stocking in and put it under her tree. So she went to bed knowing it was there and was so pleased.

• suzieque
    12 years ago

The gifts for the family that friends and I "adopted" for Christmas. That made my holiday - being able to go out and shop for people who need a little help this year. I'm truly blessed to be on the giving end rather than the receiving end.

But hey - doing so filled my heart and made my Christmas. So, surely I was on the receiving end, too.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

the very life like stuffed dog I gave my Mom, She just recently broke her hip and had replacement surgery so she was in a rehab facility for Christmas. We all went there to spend some time with her and give our gifts. She absolutely loves animals and when she stays with me my little dog is in her lap constantly. She is not allowed pets where she lives and now that she is going to have to be in a care facility none there either. So I found the absolutely most life like dog, everyone thinks it is real, and I gave it to her for Christmas. The nurses came running thinking it was real. She has not put that dog down since the day I gave it to her. She has named it Duke, and the nurses said she does not leave her room with out it. When I went back the next day to tell her we were going home she was asleep and was holding on to that dog with both arms. It brought tears to my eyes.
    How such a small thing could bring her so much joy! I am so glad I thought of it and so happy I found Duke!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

oh and the gift I gave myself and hubby!! A new beautiful hutch.

He was very happy he did not have to shop!

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

I gave my 26 year old daughter a beautiful Indian Sari that belonged to my mother who died eight years before my daughter was born. I would have loved to have them meet each other. I wrapped the sari different from how I normally wrap gifts and signed it from Grandma Shirley.

My daughter is a costume and fashion designer and appreciates beautiful textiles. Wish I had taken a photo before I gave it away. It brought back some wonderful memories when I found it several months ago during an attic purge. I lost my mom when I was a year younger than my daughter is now, and for some reason that was very sobering for me to think about.

Anyhow, DD loved the sari and I was happy to give her something she could both appreciate and cherish.

Jodi-

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

The gift of Christmas to two little boys. DS and his girl friend, who has two boys, 6 and 11, had to move out of the house they lived in by Dec. 28. They couldn't find anywhere they could afford until last Monday. Everything is out of the house and moved to the new apt. or her dad's for storage, the last loads being today. All the money they had saved for Christmas went to moving expenses. I sent a few of the things I had already bought for the boys, already wrapped, Christmas Eve. I knew they had no money and no time to get the boys anything. DS was so tired when he got home that night that he just set them out of the walkway. The apt is just jam packed until they can get things sorted and find a place for it all. Well, the oldest went looking (no tree up or anything) and couldn't find anything from Santa. Of course he told the youngest that Santa hadn't come, not being mean, just didn't know. Well, DS was just getting in the shower for work, having almost overslept. Out he went, telling the boys they just hadn't looked hard enough. (His first year to have this job!) Needless to say, no more tears. Happy boys. Happy Mom & dad. Happy Grandma, that she could make two boys happy on Christmas. I know even the 11 y/o still believes. He is a very young 11 y/o. Both boys are extemely intelligent, but young. They make me smile everytime I see them. Just to see the joy in their eyes as they walk in the door. They have both had a hard life. Neither dad is in the picture. But they have a daddy now. One who, at 24, has never had his own, but they ARE his. And they love it.

On second thought, maybe THEY gave ME the gift!

Tami

• nicole__
    12 years ago

I gave 2 little rings, both gold plated to a coworker of mine, she loves jewelry. Which prompted her boyfriend to buy her a "real" ring, with real diamonds. We used to call this type of an arrangement a "promise" ring.......how sweet....

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I enjoyed reading about your special gifts, everyone. You are special!

Jodi, you can still photograph the sari, no? Maybe with your daughter wearing it?

• patti43
    12 years ago

I gave the money Harry would've spent on me to the Interfaith Emergency Services. They do such good work. Every weekend they feed 1300 children. Daily they feed 70 families (not individuals, but families). They shelter 31, 13 of them children and run a food pantry. And that's just for our county. I just can't stand the thought of a hungry child. And I had the happiest Christmas day I've ever had, so like Tami said, maybe I'm the one who got the gift.

• jennmonkey
    12 years ago

I made almost all the gifts I gave this year. My favorite (that I posted in another thread) is this lamp for my best friend. I made the shade out of 35mm slides, that I had made from digital photos of her and I as kids, her own kids, her with other friends, etc. She absolutely loved it.

I also made coasters out of ceramic tiles and different scrapbook paper to give as gifts, and made my cards too. I haven't really been into Christmas for a long time but making all my gifts put me in the holiday spirit.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love all of those, Jen! I gave a big pack of scrapbook paper to my stepgranddaughters.....I've never used it, but it looks so tempting in the stores! Please share how you did the coasters. I saw instructions in Martha Stewart Living for making coasters from cork rounds and maps. You cut a piece of map the same size as the cork, and then use Mod Podge to both glue it to the cork and coat the top.

I forgot this "mug rug" (coaster) that I hooked for my son-in-law, whose name is Chuck. He and my daughter have joked that "Chuck is not a verb!"

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

I got a card off the angel tree at church and it was for a one year old boy. His mom requested PJs, diapers, baby wipes, sippy cups, etc. The diapers she requested are the same size Finn wears and Finn's dad had gotten a free package of them with a purchase at a baby store. He gave them to me to put in my package. I always enjoy giving a gift that is requested from an angel or giving tree.

• jennmonkey
    12 years ago

Oh that's cute Alisande. I love your pet book too!

The coasters are super easy...you can buy the plain ceramic tiles at Home Depot for 16 cents each, I just bought a case of 100. You cut out scrapbooking paper to fit the tile (you can also use photos or anything really). Using a paintbrush, you paint mod podge onto the tile and place your paper. Mod Podge again over the entire thing, let it sit about 20 minutes, and mod podge one more time. I let them sit overnight and then sprayed several coats of a water resistant clear sealer spray, and then let them sit overnight again. You can use either felt or cork for the bottoms. I bought little felt circles from Home Depot and although they are sticky, I superglued them onto the bottoms. That's it! Super easy.

Here are the tips I would suggest after making over 80 of these in the last week.
    *Some scrapbooking paper is thicker than standard paper. The thicker paper was easier to use. I made a few using thin paper (and pics I printed off the computer) and it was hard to keep the paper smooth and stop it from bubbling.
    *After you add the paper, it's helpful to push the paper down around the edges a few times while it's drying (but before you add the mod podge over the top of the paper). It naturally wants to lift up on the edges so I let it dry for a few minutes while pushing down the edges until it looked pretty good and stuck, and then added the 2nd coat.
    *Do not at any time during the process stack any of the tiles together. Even if they appear dry, they will stick together or stick to the felt/cork, until they are sealed and completely dry.
    *If you have any pets, even if they are nowhere near you, try to let the coasters dry up on a table or counter during the mod modge stage. I spent quite a bit of time using tweezers to pull dog hairs out of the coasters during various stages of the process, LOL.

Here are all of them together, drying after the sealer spray...I sprayed them outside on the deck, and then carefully moved them into my spare room to dry overnight. Make sure you keep everything well ventilated cuz those fumes are killer. Even though I did all my spraying outside, I'm really sensitive to smells/fumes and I still got a headache. Even the non toxic mod podge smell was getting to me.

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

Susan, that is what I was thinking. I'll have DD take a pic of it, either laid out or on her. That would be cool. She was going to look up how to wear a sari.

Jodi-

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jenn, thanks so much for the instructions. I'm saving them. Two of my favorite materials--tile and paper! (I'm not kidding, although I've never worked with tiles.)

Jodi, be sure to show the pics to us!

• kathy_
    12 years ago

Loved these gift ideas!
    I had to think about it..and have two favorites - oops 3.
    My friend who moved to SC was given one of Mom's light-up lighthouses and it made her go ahhhh.
    Another friend is much younger and loves horses and antiques. I gave her an 1800's book of horse training that my Mom had bought for me at an auction. I could "see" my sister tossing it out at a yard sale someday - lol...
    The third was to a lady I didn't know. My cousin took up a canned food collection for the woman and her young daughter. I went ahead and taped a gift card from Target to the canned goods I sent.
    I wished them a Merry Christmas as I taped it on there...

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

The gift to a name off the Angel Tree. So many in need in FEMA trailers especially now with the new snow and colder temps.
    Two grandkids got freezers, which they needed, and others got laptop for HS and College next year and I pod touch. Yep it is expensive but we feel it is worth it.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Great gifts, ya'll!

• jel48
    12 years ago

I had a lot of favorites this year, because I put a lot of myself into them.

I crocheted scarf/hat/purse sets for three 'tween' age granddaughters and a hat/scarf combo for a younger granddaughter. I crocheted scarves for an older grand daughter, my daughter, daughter in law, three step daughters, and my son.

I designed a photograph fleece blanket for my step daughter with a large center photo of her holding her new son, 4 corner photos that were closeups of the baby, and a number of words in text that describe babies. Then had the blanket made for her.

And, I put together wedding albums for a step son and wife (married 2 years ago), a step daughter and husband (married this past year), and another step daughter and fiance (due to be married next year - this one got an IOU for 80 photographs to go in the album.

I hope so much that everyone loved the gifts. I know for a fact that several did.

• dollydolots
    12 years ago

We gave a DVD player for our Daughter and I
    crocheted an 8ft by 8ft afghan for my Son-in-law
    They both loved the gifts as they both can use them.

Dolly

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jel, you were busy! I'd love to see pictures of some of your creations, as well as Dolly's afghan.

A friend told me last night that crocheting is easier than knitting. Do you crocheters think that's true?

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Crocheting is easier than knitting!!! It goes much faster, too.
    I know how to crochet, but haven't done it in years. Knitting is harder to garb onto, for me.

• linda_6
    12 years ago

We bought 2 of our grandkids their own x-box 360. Now they can stay in their own room and quit fighting. Our granddaughter is 13 and our grandson is 5.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

Love the photo book of pets, what a great idea! All of the handmade gifts are beautiful!

This year I gave my niece a Kindle, and she loves it, so I think that was the best one this year. I gave another niece an adorable stuffed owl that she decorated with Christmas ribbons and candy canes, she seemed to like it a lot.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

It wasn't a gift, but when DH and I were at my Step-father's on Boxing day to help him eat the desserts, he mentioned that a neighbour's wife had died of cancer this summer.

This was a total shock to me. My parents live on a court, and I "know" of the man he was talking about because I remember when he got his little long-haired doxie as a puppy. We got such a kick out of him training this teeny-weeny dog.....he was scared of the grass, wouldn't walk on it.

The couple is about my age. When we were leaving I told hubby to drop me off at the guy's house. He had his Christmas lights on, and I knocked.

I told him who I was, and that how sorry I am, etc etc. We both had tears in our eyes and we rubbed each other's arm; (didn't hug.) He was so touched that I would stop and see him. His wife died 3 weeks after Mom. I'm so glad I did that, and I still tear up thinking about him (as I am now)

• susie53_gw
    12 years ago

For myself, I would rather give then receive anyday. We gave a nice donation to our local food pantry in memory of our wonderful son-in-law's aunt that recently passed away. Also our young neighbors that had twins this summer received diapers and wipes from Santa..Also a surprise for their 4 year old. There is not much I need at this time in my life. To give is so wonderful...

Have a wonderful 2012 everybody!!!!!