SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Soup time!

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

Weather is starting to turn a little chilly and damp. Perfect time for soup.

I had to make cole slaw for a picnic and had leftover cabbage. So I made stuffed cabbage soup! I love stuffed cabbage, but hate making it...all the steaming and rolling and baking and enough!

So instead, I saute up the bacon and onion and garlic then brown up some cut up pork. Then I add the cooked rice, tomato puree, chopped cabbage and beef stock. Add salt, pepper to taste and of course dill weed. Simmer covered until tender and serve with buttered seeded rye bread.

Same great taste, but a fraction of the work.

Comments (62)

• Lars
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know where you are that is getting cool already - I thought it was still hot everywhere, except Montana - at least from the last map I saw.

I make various kinds of garbanzo soup all the time, no matter the weather, but with the 95 degree plus weather we are having now, I would only make cold soup, such as gazpacho or avocado soup. To make avocado soup, I use two large ripe avocados, juice of two limes, four cups of chicken broth, and 2 tbsp of yogurt or sour cream - puree everything together and it is done. Garnish with cilantro. Add salt only if the broth does not have salt.

Garbanzo soup freezes well. I first cook the garbanzos in the pressure cooker - cooking time is about 12 minutes after they have been soaked, and then I leave them in the PC until the pressure has gone down naturally. Generally I put 3-4 fresh Bay leaves in and remove those after the beans have cooked. Normally, when I cook garbanzos I discard the cooking water, but I sometimes use it when making soup. Other ingredients include potatoes, celery, onion, bell pepper, chilies, 1/2 carrot (grated), 1/2 onion, 3-4 cloves of garlic, some cumin, oregano, and thyme. Instead of salt, I generally add vegetable soup base, but you can use salt instead if you do not like soup base. If I want to make it Indian style, I add garam masala, curry powder, coriander, tumeric, and ginger. I don't measure these, and so I don't know how much I use, but if I add curry powder, I cut back on the hot chilies. If I have cilantro in the yard, I sometimes add that. I do not normally freeze soups because I like to have a soup course, and we go through them rather quickly. You can use lentils instead of garbanzos.

Lars

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Chilly? More like downright cold! But I cook, and even hot soup, in any weather. No recipes, as soup contains most anything. Wilted veggies are perfect. Freeze any kind with no problems. Start chopping and boiling, it only takes an hour to warm your tummy.

• Related Discussions

Soup processing time?

Q

Comments (6)
    Linda Lou, I love pumpkin soup (drizzled with pumpkin seed oil) and the squash are in season now. I bought two red suri squash yesterday to make the soup. I need to perfect the recipe to my taste, but do you think I could can this using the soup guidelines - filling with the solids and then adding the broth? I would need to puree it after opening the jar. It might end up a little thinner than I would make fresh, but I could live with that. I just don't have enough freezer space to store much. I could store some of the squash in the basement, but I really like the idea of having ready to go soup in a jar. Here is the recipe that I'm looking at. I would be willing to just saute the onions in some water to eliminate the oil. Obviously the drizzle of oil happens after it is pureed and reheated. I feel better about using the pressure canner now that I know using the three piece weight instead of the (untested) gauge is acceptable practice. I would prefer to use pints, but don't have many of those around right now. I do have plenty of quarts. I've been saving the bones for any roasted chickens we eat. Pretty soon I should have enough for a batch of stock. Melly Red Kuri Squash Soup with Lemon Thyme and White Truffle Oil Yields approximately 12-8 oz servings Serve with the Lynmar 2004 Estate Chardonnay 5 cups onion, chopped 2Tbsp olive oil 2 Tbsp butter 8 cups red kuri squash, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes 8 cups of hot chicken stock ¼ cup fresh lemon thyme, finely chopped Salt and pepper 3 Tbsp white truffle oil Directions: Saute the onions in the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a 5-quart pot for 3 minutes add the squash and cook stirring 3 minutes more. Add the hot stock slowly. Cook, at a simmer, for 45 minutes or until the squash is very soft. Add the lemon thyme and cook 5 minutes more. Puree in a food processor or with an immersion blender. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into warm soup bowls. Dot each bowl with about 1 teaspoon of the white truffle oil and serve hot. Chefs Tip: To make it easy to garnish with the white truffle oil, place the oil in a plastic squeeze bottle.
    ...See More

Soup time !!!!

Q

Comments (12)
    the baking soda is to cut the acid so your milk doesn't turn into cottage cheese when you add it. This is the way my grandmother's family made it on the farm. Her family had a farm and little money, they raised and canned the food they needed. Very few things were store bought: spices,flour. tea. coffee. I still remember that if they planned to have fried chicken for Sunday dinner you killed and dressed the chickens saturday. I have no idea how old the recipe is but I'm in my 60's and I can't remember the first time I ate it. I really like the large pieces of tomatoe and flavor. By the way goes great with grill cheese sandwiches. mike
    ...See More

Potatoe soup recipe's from a while ago

Q

Comments (1)
    Man...I can't imagine a pot of potato soup with 10 pounds of potatoes...was that a mistake? One of the best potato soups I've ever had was made with a bag of the square cut frozen hash browns. But I can't remember the recipe. If I can find it I add it here. patti
    ...See More

Spicy Grain Soup recipe

Q

Comments (1)
    lucy, it's so funny, I just this morning got out last year's issue of F and W, and came across this recipe - a light bulb went off, recognizing the title of your post. It looks great - thanks for posting it. STacy
    ...See More
  • pkramer60
    9 years ago

Lars, it is cold in Chicago, winter is coming. Temps are going down to 38 tonight, with a high at 48 tomorrow. It is soup weather here!

Pllog, I make my lentil soup the same way i do pea soup: ham bone, smoked meats,beef or chicken stock, lentils/peas and a carrot at the end for color. The lentil soup may get some chard or kale tossed in also. To make it a very hearty meal, I will add some sliced smoked sausage. Good smoky flavors, and both freeze well.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yum! All these soups sound so delish. While it's not that cold today (60s) it is rainy and damp which spells soup to me!

My lentil soup recipe is based on one from Maryana Vollstedt.

1 c dried brown lentils
    1/2 c brown rice
    2 cans chick broth
    3 c water
    1 t salt (add more at the end if needed)
    1 t dried oregano
    1/2 t dried thyme
    black pepper to taste
    2 cloves minced garlic
    2 stalks chopped celery
    1 small yellow onion chopped
    2 carrots diced for soup
    1 14/1/2oz can diced tomatoes with juice
    1 T cider vinegar
    Parmesan cheese for topping

Put lentils and rest of ingredients except tomatoes and vinegar in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and vinegar and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.

Adjust seasonings. I add a splash or two of worcestershire sauce for a little more flavor.

Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parm cheese.

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Well, I wish I had saved the recipe for the lentil soup that I just thawed out and had for lunch the other day. I had such low expectations for it I guess I didn't save it. It had chili powder in it, and mushrooms, spinach and carrots, a combo I did not expect to like. Usually when I do lentil soup I just wing it. I like the kind of lentil soup with tomatoes, and greens and a dash of something bitter like vinegar or lemon juice. The spices I usually use are oregano, maybe garlic and thyme. Next time I make lentil soup I'm definitely adding sauteed portabella mushrooms and a dash of some type of chili pepper.

I also love split pea soup, and also yellow split pea. I really just wing those recipes most of the time. I developed a recipe for "Vegetarian Comfort Soup" which is very healthy and uses saffron, and split peas for the yellow color, but includes pasta so probably isn't the best for freezing, unless you omitted the pasta. It's not that you couldn't freeze it, it's just that after thawing you would have to add more broth since pasta tends to turn to mush and absorb broth when it sits in soup. Not an all together terrible thing IMHO, but I have tended to add pasta separately lately to my soups, it is a bit more fun to eat that way. Vegetarian Comfort Soup includes textured vegetable protein as a chicken substitute, but you could also sub chopped chicken or chicken sausage for the TVP. You could add raw chicken to the broth when making the soup too.

Vegetarian Comfort Soup (Good for what ails you!)
    Serves 6
    One hour to prepare
    Ingredients
    2 qts water
    2 one-inch vegetable bouillon cubes
    3/4 cup YELLOW split peas
    1 TBLSP olive oil
    1 med. onion
    1/2 of a 16 oz. bag of organic baby carrots (approximately 1 cup)
    2-3 stalks organic celery plus leaf tops
    1 large bay leaf
    1 whole clove
    Seasonings - 1/4 tsp. of the following:
    marjoram
    rosemary
    savory
    thyme
    pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced
    pinch of sage
    1/3 cup chicken flavored textured vegetable protein, (dried granules) or a cup of diced chicken or couple diced chicken sausages.
    1 TBLSP dried parsley
    3 heaping cups or 1/2 bag noodles - wide or spaetzel noodles recommended. Also good with ditalini and stars or acini de pepe.
    Salt to taste
    Optional ingredients: pinch of saffron, shot of dry white wine.
    Note: saffron, while expensive, is good for fighting colds, it's what makes this soup if you can swing it. You could sub tumeric, also healthy.

For this soup, you will need two pots, one large heavy bottomed soup pot, and a smaller 2 qt. saucepan.

In the saucepan, bring 1 qt. of water to a boil, add a 1" cube of vegetable bouillon, plus 1/4 tsp. rosemary. Add 3/4 cup yellow split peas, and simmer until very soft, about 30-45 minutes.

In the second pot, add 1 TBLSP olive oil and saute the onion until it is translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute briefly. Add 1 qt. water, the bouillon cube and the chopped vegetables and seasonings. Simmer this mixture for 30 minutes. Add the textured vegetable protein and parsley and simmer 15 more minutes.

When the spit peas are very soft, let them cool for a few minutes and then puree the water and peas. You can use a hand blender, an upright blender, or if you are desperate, a potato masher. Add this golden broth to the vegetables in the soup pot and bring to a low boil. Add the noodles and cook for 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
    Remove clove and bay leaf.

Note: Use as many of the seasonings as your pantry and tastebuds can accommodate, and feel free to adjust. The TVP is not absolutely necessary, but it is what gives this soup a lot of its familiar appeal.
    If you want to cut down further on fat in this already low fat soup, you can omit the olive oil and just throw the onions in the broth with the rest of the vegetables. You can make this soup in a crockpot this way. If you are not concerned with looks and presentation, you can throw all the ingredients except the TVP and noodles into one pot together and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently, and then add the TVP and noodles for 15 more minutes of simmering to finish. Or throw it all in the crockpot, except the TVP and the noodles, which you have to add at the end or they get mushy. The noodles will absorb water if you store the soup in the refrigerator, but you can add more water or broth when you reheat if you want a more liquid soup. This freezes well.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

If anyone's making split pea soup and corn muffins I'm coming over !

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I'm sitting on the couch eating bean soup, fried potatoes and corn bread and watching football. Doesn't get any more down home than that!!! I absolutely love soup and from now until about April I could eat soup every day. Corn chowder has been on my radar this week as well. MY DH's favorite soup is sausage and kale.

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Good call Cindy! I just finished a pot of "clean out the fridge" minestra featuring sausage and kale, and kidney beans, plus the last of the tomatoes. Hoping to give some to mom since she has low iron. Serving that with home made Italian bread. Deeby's choice is also a favorite!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

lpink, was it this one from allrecipes.com?

Spicy Vegan Lentil Quinoa Soup
    recipe image
    Rated: rating
    Submitted By: Lunchbach
    Photo By: fondukes
    Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 45 Minutes
    Ready In: 55 Minutes
    Servings: 4
    "This vegan lentil and quinoa soup is nicely spiced thanks to chili powder and ginger powder to keep you warm on cold evenings."

INGREDIENTS:
    4 cups water
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup dry lentils
    1/2 cup quinoa
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1/2 cup mushrooms
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon ground ginger

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine water, celery, lentils, quinoa, carrots, mushrooms, chili powder, cumin, and ginger in a saucepan. Cover saucepan and cook soup over medium-low heat until vegetables and lentils are tender, 45 to 60 minutes.

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

It was a recipe that was clipped from some magazine. I may have it somewhere in my maze of boxes apt. but I didn't put it in with my recipe notebook where it should have gone. It had a ton of veggie in it, not sure if I used them all. But I know I made it to use up some of those spices you sent me which I am having SO MUCH FUN with!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This time of year, I love to make mulligatawny as the sweetness of the apple in the soup, the pureed chickpeas and the warmth of the spices just make it taste like home.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

dcward, scoot over !

• plllog
    9 years ago

Wow! All these great lentil soup recipes to try!

I was digging in my pantry--I only have green lentils--and found a soup mix that was given to me. There's no date but the packet is well sealed, so I'm guessing it's okay. I'm going to try it. It's an ingredients mix, not soup powder. I don't go for mixes, generally speaking, so may abandon it once I see what's inside. If I don't like it, I think it's going to be stone soup. :) I need to clean the fridge. :)

And remember to buy brown lentils...

And yellow peas to make Lpink's soup! That sounds really good!

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Note on Vegetarian Comfort Soup: I didn't give instructions on how to add the saffron, assuming most folks knew about that but here goes. Take a PINCH of saffron (1/8 tsp. if you are a measurer) and dissolve it in about 1/4 cup of hot broth. When it comes to saffron, more is NOT better. Too much saffron can give a bitter taste. Just a couple of threads would be fine too. Pour the dissolved saffron broth mixture back into the soup broth. Add the saffron to the mixture of the veggies before you add the pureed yellow peas. Once you add the peas the soup gets a little murky. If you don't have saffron you can sub tumeric but only a little bit of that is necessary too, 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. depending on how you feel about tumeric. Feel free to omit but saffron and tumeric are the secret anti-inflammatory ingredients that make this a "comfort" soup. But it will not be a comfort if you don't like saffron or tumeric. Still has a lot of good stuff without.

• Rusty
    9 years ago

Here's a recipe that my family loves in cool weather. It was given to me back in the '60s by a long since deceased family member. I have no idea where she got it, or how long in may have been in the family. But I do know it is good!

Rusty

Sausage Bean Chowder

Ingredients:

1 lb bulk pork breakfast sausage
    2 cans (16 oz) kidney beans
    1 can (1 lb 13 oz) tomatoes, broken up
    1 qt water
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1 ½ tsp Seasoned Salt
    ½ tsp garlic salt
    ½ tsp thyme
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 C diced potatoes
    ½ green bell pepper, chopped

Method:

In a skillet, cook pork sausage until browned. Drain off fat.
    In a large kettle, combine kidney beans, tomatoes, water, onion, bay leaf, seasoned salt, garlic salt, thyme, and pepper. Add sausage. Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
    Add potatoes and green pepper. Cook, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Remove bay leaf.

Yield: 8 generous portions.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I love soups at this time of year. Made Zuppa Toscana the other day- the copycat of Olive Garden recipe.

Got heaps of all sorts of winter squashes and pumpkins in the solarium, and some of them will go to make soup. I never just stick to one kind of squash- I use 3-5 different squashes depending on what I got on hand. I bake them all up, pulp them, then freeze them off in either pint or quart quantities. Then when it's time to make soup, I pull out what I need. I like to put a nice bit of smoked gouda into it, and sometimes add chick peas.

A big favorite in my house too is taco soup. So much so that now I prepare double the amount of everything needed for taco night, and make the soup with all the leftovers on another day. Including the lettuce! Many folks think lettuce is for fresh eating only, like salads, but it cooks down great in soups too.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I made Zuppa Toscana yesterday with kale and potatoes from my Produce Box order. It turned out delicious! I will make it again for sure.

I'm a big fan of taco soup and butternut squash soup, too. If I can find the time this week, I'm going to make my potato soup for a co-worker to take to her father who is ill with cancer.

Teresa

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I've decided the boy's birthday party will be a soup party thanks to this thread. Thanks for getting the mind to whirring along.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I made borscht last week with fresh beets and cabbage and potato leek soup is on the menu for this week. Homemade soups are the best, but I do prefer them when the weather cools.

Split pea is my absolute favorite and I stock up on ham hocks when I see them to add flavor. When I was married, my ex detested split pea and wouldn't even tolerate my eating it in his presence (some sort of childhood soup trauma, lol)!, so now that I am single, I make it whenever I can.

And it's next to impossible to make a small quantity of soup - say enough for just one person - and I have a teeny tiny freezer. So I always share with my sister nearby and she with me. We have Friday night soup nites, alternating cooks!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I made tomato soup today for the first time, ever. It was delicious. I've never wanted to make it, before, but I'm putting some freezer things together to take to my Grandma and she likes it. I think Campbell's was my intro, that's probably why I never wanted it again!

I followed Ina Garten's recipe, although I replaced the saffron with smoked paprika - which was recommended in the reviews. Didn't want to use such an expensive ingredient for something that was going to sit in a freezer.

I'm also making split-pea (my mom likes this and will be with her periodically) and an Italian one this week.

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

Since it was 92 degrees here this week I'll be making GAZPACHO. But I'll certainly know where to come for soup recipes when we do get cooler weather...thanks.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Last night I made potato soup and for the first time I added a bunch of broccoli only because I needed to use it up. It was the bomb! I make it a little different from my mom's - I dice up bacon and saute until crisp, then I add onion, mushrooms and celery. Then I add the cubed potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, enough chicken stock to just cover. I cook until the potatoes are soft, then I use a potato masher to break up the potatoes, then I finish it off with heavy cream and a few pats of butter. But the broccoli really was good in it.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I made teresa's Zuppa Toscana soup this week and loved it. She posted the recipe on the Kale thread. I've copied it here. I cut the recipe in half as hubby doesn't like kale, but I'm making it again with the full amount to freeze. I still have kale to use up.

I made this in a Le Creuset oven on top of the stove, browning the onion and garlic in the fat from the sausage. Then I cooked the potatoes and kale in the broth, sausage, onion, and garlic for about 1/2 hr. I then mixed the flour with 1/2 'n 1/2 cream mixed with 2% milk (1/2 cup each) and stirred that into the soup to thicken it for about 15 more cooking time. This was very good!

Zuppa Toscana

1 pound Italian Sausage (spicy) - breakfast link sausage works fine too
    4 to 6 Russet Potatoes :bite sized cubes
    1 Onion :minced
    1/4 cup chopped cooked bacon - fine to leave out
    2 tablespoons Garlic, minced
    32 ounces Chicken Broth
    1/2 bunch Kale (or Swiss Chard), destem & cut into bite sized pieces
    1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
    2 tablespoon Flour

Brown sausage links in a sauté pan.
    Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut slices.
    Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker.
    Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
    Cook in crock pot on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft.
    30 minutes before serving:
    Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
    Add cream and kale to the crock pot, stir.
    Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.
    Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.

source: myrecipes.com

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beef barley
    Cream of mushroom
    Butternut squash
    Yum!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Right now I'm making Ham and Bean soup in the pressure cooker for Grandma. There's a lot, though, so I may have dinner ;)

Both the temp and humidity is 80 here at 10am. I'm sitting at the table, monitoring the cooker, with a fan blowing on me. Can't wait for November!

• pink_warm_mama_1
    9 years ago

AnnieD - would you share your recipe for Mulligatawny soup? Many thanks,

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love Maryana Vollstedt. This is from her Big Book of Soups and Stews. I've made many of her recipes and they all come out good....though sometimes I will double the herbs/spices that she calls for....below is what she calls for, but typically I will add more as I like the depth of flavor they add.

Mulligatawny

1 T vegetable oil
    1/2 T butter
    1 c. chopped carrots (about 2)
    1/2 c. chopped onion (1 small)
    1 c. chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
    1 clove garlic
    3/4 c. chopped green pepper
    1/2 c. chopped peeled turnip or rutabaga
    1 granny smith apple, unpeeled, chopped
    1 t curry powder
    1/4 t ground coriander
    1/4 t ground cloves
    1/4 t ground cinnamon
    1/4 t ground ginger
    1 t salt
    black pepper to taste
    6 c chicken stock/broth
    2 T cornstarch
    1/3 c cold water
    2 c cubed cooked chicken
    1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed (15 oz)
    shredded coconut for topping

If I don't have cooked chicken, I take a boneless skinless breast and zap it a few minutes till it's cooked through, then cut it up.

In a large soup pot heat oil and butter. Add carrot and saute a couple of minutes, then add remaining veggies and apple, but not the beans, and saute about another 10 min until tender. Add spices and stir for 1 minute, then add stock and bring to a boil.

In small bowl mix cornstarch and water. Add to pot and stir until thickened, about 2 min. Puree beans with 1 c. of soup stock, then add to soup and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until flavors blend...about 10 min. Serve with shredded coconut as topping if desired.

I haven't tried it, but I suppose you could start out with coconut oil instead of the oil and butter combo...or I use ghee these days instead of butter. I also puree the whole pot of stuff including the beans before I add the chicken using a submersion blender...it makes a nice thick cream soup.

If you try it, let me know how you like it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Made beef barley soup in the crock pot today. So yummy! And I love soups for dinner...one dish. It made a lot so I think I'll be freezing some.

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

It was my night to cook for the grandbabies and SIL. Since it was Columbus Day (even though they don't teach about Columbus anymore!), I made Spanish and Italian food. the Spanish dishes were soup and flan:

Potaje de Garbanzos (Spanish Bean Soup)

½ pound garbanzo beans (chickpeas), dried
    2 quarts water
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 ham bone
    1 beef bone
    ¼ pound salt pork, cut in thin strips
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
    ½ teaspoon paprika
    Pinch of saffron
    1 chorizo (Spanish sausage), sliced in thin rounds

Preparation

Wash garbanzos. Soak overnight with 1 tablespoon salt
    in enough water to cover beans. Drain the salted water
    from the beans. Place beans in 4-quart soup kettle; add
    2 quarts of water and the ham and beef bones. Cook for
    45 minutes over low heat, skimming foam from the top.
    Fry salt pork slowly in a skillet. Add chopped onion and
    saute lightly. Add to beans along with potatoes, paprika,
    and saffron. Add salt to taste. When potatoes are tender,
    remove from heat and add chorizo. Serve hot in deep
    soup bowls. Serves 4.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I'm planning on pinto bean soup tonight, I've got a smoked turkey leg, I'll be adding a few things to it, gotta clean out the vegetable bin.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah yes, yet another thing to love about soups...great for cleaning out the refrigerator too!

• pink_warm_mama_1
    9 years ago

Thank you Annie. Will use cocoanut oil (with butter) which we enjoy, and yellow pepper instead of green.

• pkramer60
    9 years ago

AnnieD, thanks for posting the "Mully". I haven't had it in years as no one makes it.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I've never head a Mully soup, but it sounds wonderful. I'll have to google some pics. Hubby loves chickpeas, so I'll definitely put them in.

• SusieinNC
    9 years ago

As kitchen is still down from 7/31 water leak I am borrowing a kitchen today to satisfy my craving for CHILI! It is cold here and I believe I will be borrowing a kitchen for soup until it is fixed! Thanks for all the ideas to experiment with!

• doucanoe
    9 years ago

Someone from this group e-mailed me asking for some soup recipes. I have lots of them, I had an annual fall soup party for years. This year we won't be having it, other things have come up. But here are a couple of winners from past years.

Great Lakes Salmon Chowder

1 lb fresh salmon fillets
    1-1/2 c water
    2 14oz cans vegetable broth
    1/2 c chopped onion
    2-1/2 c diced red potatoes
    1 T fresh dill, snipped
    1 tsp grated lemon peel
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2-1/2 c half-n-half
    3 T cornstarch
    2 c fresh asparagus, steamed and cut in one inch pieces

Bring the water to a boil, poach salmon in the hot water. Remove salmon from water and flake into bite-size pieces.

In large stock pot, combine broth, onions, potatoes, dill, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, cook until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.

Combine 1 cup of the half-n-half with the cornstarch in a covered container, shake until well blended. Add remaining half-n-half to cooked broth mixture, stir in the cornstarch mixture and simmer until thickened. Stir in salmon and asparagus, heat through and serve.

Makes approximately 11 cups

Navy Bean Soup
    From Food Network Kitchens

1 lb navy beans, picked over, rinsed and drained
    10 sprigs parsley
    2 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    2 large smoked ham hocks, about 1-1/2 lb
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
    8 c cold water
    1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
    Butter for garnish

Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat, cover and let sit for one hour. Drain and reserve. Tie parsley, thyme and bay leaf together with kitchen twine.

In large soup pot or dutch oven, combine the beans, herb bundle, hocks, onions and garlic with the water. Bring to a boil, cover and adjust the heat so that the soup cooks at a gentle simmer. Cook until the beans and hocks are completely tender, about 1-1/2 hours.

Turn off heat and remove hocks. Cool slightly. Remove meat from hocks, discarding the bones, fat and skin. Cut meat into small cubes. Remove herb bundle from soup and discard.

Puree about 3 cups of the beans with some of the liquid in a blender. (For a smooth soup, you may puree all the beans). Stir the puree and diced meat into the soup. Heat the soup and adjust seasoning as needed with salt & pepper.

Ladle into heated bowls, place a small pat of butter on top of each bowl of soup, serve.

Ribollita
    Courtesy Giada DeLaurentis

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling on bread
    1 onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    4 ounces pancetta, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, 1 minced and 1 whole
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 pound frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1 (15-ounce) can cannelloni beans, drained
    1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    1 (3-inch) piece Parmesan rind
    4 to 6 ciabatta rolls, halved lengthwise or 1 loaf, sliced
    Grated Parmesan, for serving

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, pancetta, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until the onion is golden brown and the pancetta is crisp, about 7 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir until dissolved. Add tomatoes and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the brown bits. Add the spinach, beans, herbs, stock, bay leaf, and Parmesan rind. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Drizzle the ciabatta halves with olive oil. Toast until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and rub the top of the toasts with the whole garlic clove. Place the toasts in the serving bowls and ladle the soup over the toasts. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve immediately.

Tomato Bisque with Tortellini

1-1/2c diced tomatoes
    1-1/2c tomato sauce
    3/4c bloody mary mix
    1-1/2tsp fresh basil
    1/4tsp italian seasoning
    2c heavy cream
    1/4c chicken base
    1/4tsp dried thyme
    1/4tsp white pepper
    1T sugar
    1/4c grated parmesan cheese
    1/2lb tortellini

Combine all ingredients except tortellini and cheese in stock pot. Bring to low boil then remove from heat and add parmesan. Blend with stick blender or in food processor until smooth. Return to pot and simmer. Meanwhile cook
    tortellini in boiling water 5-7 minutes or until tender, add to soup and serve, garnish with parsley flakes.

Chipotle Chicken and Corn Chowder
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Total Time: 1 hour

1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
    1 tsp adobo sauce
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 cups whole milk
    2 cups chicken stock
    6 small red potatoes, peeled and diced small
    4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
    4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
    2 cups diced, cooked chicken
    1 (30-ounce) can sweet corn, drained
    1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
    1 cup crushed tortilla chips
    Juice from 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
    Chopped cilantro, to garnish (optional)

Directions:
    1. Remove one chile from the can of chiles and mince it. Remove 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce and set it aside to be used later. You can save the remaining chiles and sauce for another use.

2. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add the poblano pepper, red bell pepper, the chile from the can, cumin, thyme and oregano, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the peppers become soft. Add the garlic, stir and cook for an additional 30 seconds, or until fragrant.

3. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon and cook for 1 minute, or until there is no longer any visible raw flour. Slowly stir in the milk and chicken broth, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir.

4. Add the potatoes, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with a knife.

5. Add the shredded cheeses a handful at a time, stirring after each addition until the cheese is completely melted.

6. Finally, stir in the chicken, both cans of corn, the tortilla chips, lime juice and the reserved 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the soup is completely heated through. Serve immediately.
    Note: If you have leftovers that have been refrigerated and reheated, you may need to thin out the soup with some extra chicken stock, as it may thicken up in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

Linda

• pkramer60
    9 years ago

I made this on Saturday and we loved it. The Chesapeake House is a restaurant in Myrtle Beach that serves a complimentary cup to each diner. Once we a re back home, we crave it on a cool fall day. Serve as a soup without the rice or a stew over the rice.

CHESAPEAKE HOUSE FISH STEW

8 ounces bacon, diced
    1 cup chopped onions
    5 cups water
    3 pounds flounder fillets
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon celery salt
    1 teaspoon hot sauce
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups ketchup
    1 (8-ounce) can tomato paste
    4 to 6 cups cooked rice (for serving)

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve the bacon for another use. Add onions to bacon drippings and cook until lightly brown. Reserve.

In large soup pot, bring water to boil. Stir in onions, drippings, bacon, fish, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, hot sauce and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until fish begins to fall apart, about 10 minutes.

Stir in ketchup and tomato paste. Simmer stew for 2 hours or until thickened. For more soup-like results, cut simmering time to 1 hour.

Serve over rice.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

doucanoe's bisque reminded me of tortellini soup which is always a winner whenever I serve it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tortellini soup

• plllog
    9 years ago

They keep saying it's going to get hot again, but it's merely normally warm here. I made low FODMAP chicken stock yesterday. :)

I got the yellow peas (thanks, LPink for the extra notes. I use safron in my challah, and have the really good Persian kind, so I'm really looking forward to it). They didn't have any brown lentils! I assume they were just out, but I keep forgetting to check back. At least it's cool enough now to read about soup!

I'm looking at making eggplant soup. I love eggplant... Soup? It's either going to be wonderful or really nasty...

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Made carrot soup last week, and asparagus soup the other day, even though we seem to be in a bit of a heat wave here (12 Celsius!)

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Aklvdb, I made wild rice soup on the weekend, as it was 10 Celsius.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Last night, first soup of the fall season. Over the summer i made lots of stock and froze pints. Also made pints of 'soup base'. With the basic garlic, celery, carrots, fresh corn, roasted tomatoes...using stock to fill the pints. And froze shrink packets of two braised and smoked chicken thighs with a couple sausages. Also froze 1/2 pints of white beans, garbanzos, and a mixed sprouted grain separately. And froze some tomatillo salsa in 1/2 pints and smoked pulled pork...(we always cook way more than two can consume on weekends)...and way more than we need for lunches that week.
    The freezer is stuffed.
    Nice to pick and choose for soups and chowders all winter.
    Last night i pulled out a 'soup base', a stock, and a chicken thigh/sausage and simmered for an hour. Fantastic.
    Somehow i became a bit more organized this year with garden greens and beans and roasted corn in smaller 1/2 pint packets for the freezer and can combine any combination for a fresh tasting soup. I might be shopping for a new freezer as space is tight, (sigh)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

My favorite is chicken soup with fresh rosemary and parsley from my garden. It's starting to cool down now, so I'm about ready for soup season. That potato leek soup sounds nummy!

• lkzz
    9 years ago

teresa_nc7, I make a very similar soup with cheese ravioli in place of the pasta (large package of frozen ravioli). I add the ravioli to the ready soup (in the pot) and let it simmer (not hard boil) until it is cooked (floats).

Chopped colored or green Bell Pepper is a good addition too - add with garlic and onion.

The Jimmy Dean Italian pork sausage (in the tube) works well in this recipe (or the ground Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage in the package).

Yum!

• John Liu
    9 years ago

Big windstorm with fallen branches and leaves covering the neighborhood.

I stayed in and made comfort soup. Cauliflower cheese. Turned out nicely. Here is the recipe, very simple.

Half an onion, diced. Melt in a big knob of butter.
    Four or five smaller potatoes, cubed. A large head of cauliflower, or two small heads, broken up. Set aside some of the prettier florets, toss them in oil and salt and broil them until lightly browned. Meanwhile, add about 2 qts of stock, just enough to cover the solids. Simmer until the potato and cauliflower are soft. Stick blender until smooth, it will be a little grainy. Add about 2 cups of cheese. I used half goat cheese and half sharp cheddar. Blend again until cheese is melted in, the soup is now creamy, not grainy. Season with salt, herbs of your choice - I included plenty of sage. Add turmeric to warm up the color - otherwise the soup may look kind of gray. Add a few drops of hot sauce, some white pepper. These cream soups need a tiny bit of heat and bite, the sage also helps there. Serve soup with the broiled florets.

• Trippa_68
    9 years ago

Sorry, i don't speak very well Americans, but what is Lasagna soup? I'm a Italian man and i live in Tuscany near Florence. Here "Lasagne" is very different. thanks

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

The Lasagna Soup has some of the same ingredients as a traditional baked lasagna, but with more broth to make it a soup.

Last week I made 3 soups on Wednesday night after I got home from work and a quick trip to the store to get more chicken broth. I made a recipe of chili that was quite good, a big quantity of chicken noodle soup, and a new soup to me, the copycat version of Panera's Brocolli Cheese soup - very good also! Between 5:30 and 8:30 p.m. I made these 3 recipes and cleaned the kitchen, plus I set down to eat a bowl for dinner with my son.

I wish I could always be that productive in the kitchen!

Teresa

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made brown rice and lentil soup the other night...very warming, hearty and filling, and good for you too!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Trippa, I think your English is fine. I never heard of lasagna soup either.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    9 years ago

Thanks to all who posted yummy recipes. I'm using more greens in my soups this year.