SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onenerdyengineer

Installing shelf: How to nail (properly) into plaster?

OneNerdyEngineer
18 years ago

Hi,

I've wanted to install one shelf into the closet of my house which has plaster walls. It is a small shelf measuring approximately 2.5 ft x 1 ft long and 1 in. thick. The shelf will be resting on two thin, rectangular beams measuring 1 ft long and a 1 x 1 in. cross-section dimension. The shelf's 1 ft ends will be resting on the 1 in. support from the beams.

This method of support is identical to how the other shelves in the closet are supported. Right now, my biggest problem is installing the 1 ft. beams into the closet. Judging on where the nails are located in the other shelving supports, I have decided to place the nails along the same vertical path, assuming that there is a wooden beam behind the plaster wall (all of the other supports have their nails driven into the wall at approximately 4 inches from either corner of the closet).

The nails I have chosen are 1 inch finishing nails, which are similar to the nails in the other shelving supports. However, since I have no experience nailing into plaster, I am concerned about the plaster chipping and falling apart. Do I simply take a hammer and gently, yet firmly, nail the wooden supports to the wall using the finishing nails?

I would definitely appreciate some advice as I have admittedly tried this method and have noticed some spider-cracks beginning to form. Has anyone had experience with nailing into plaster?

By the way, the wooden beams will be supporting a total load of approximately 3-4 lbs. (just the weight of the shelf plus some rolls of paper towels).

Thanks! - Lisa

Comments (6)