SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gopack_gw

Wondering if our new home vinyl windows were installed properly?

gopack
16 years ago

We are building a home just north of Dallas and are using Atrium vinyl low e argon double pane windows. The framers installed the windows the other day. I started to read about proper installation of vinyl windows and they didn't follow the steps I read about.

All they did was place the windows in the openings, level them and then use a roofing staple gun to attach them to the outside frame. (I am not sure if they used a roofing gun - they look like large staples. Not nails)

Anyway, they did not lay any flexible flashing on the window sills first, like I read about nor did they put any silicone or sealant on the fins before they nailed them up.

I spoke to the builder about it and she said no one does that around here. But she wants to read the info so that is good. She and the other builders she referred to have been building homes in very upscale neighborhoods for a long time so I hate to question her on this. But...

She said they will caulk all around the windows and then wrap the house with Tyvek and then use some kind of tape to seal around the windows.

Can anyone tell me if I need to talk to her again about this - does it sound right?

Ginny

Comments (4)